The Sr. Research Specialist will join the research program in the Laboratory for Cellular and Molecular Thyroid Research at the Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine to investigate the molecular mechanisms of thyroid cancer and clinical translation of the laboratory findings. As part of the study team, will collaborate with the Principal Investigator (PI) to design and develop protocols, and oversee study-related activities on several projects. With limited supervision by the PI, will design and perform laboratory experiments on his independent thyroid cancer research projects.. Responsible for developing and organizing data reports and writing scientific papers resulting from the research projects. Provide day-day supervision and train junior postdoctoral fellows and students on the techniques and skills needed in the lab. Collaborate with the PI in overseeing the administrative and scientific implementation of the research protocols for complex thyroid cancer research studies. With appropriate direction by the PI, functions as a leader in maintaining and circulating research protocols among the program members, setting agendas and schedules for routine research-related meetings and other activities, processing laboratory protocols and IRB reports and amendments related to obtaining human thyroid tumor tissues for clinical translational research projects of the thyroid cancer research program.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- Participate in laboratory research on a comprehensive thyroid cancer research program and develop and design research protocols to investigate molecular mechanisms of thyroid cancer and pursue clinical translation of the laboratory findings.
- With limited guidance by the principal investigator (PI), develop and define research projects and strategies on the thyroid cancer research program.
- Independently design and perform laboratory experiments for specific thyroid cancer research projects in the lab
- Use special skills and expertise to prepare and apply thyroid cancer cell lines, human thyroid tumors specimens, and animal thyroid tumor models to thyroid cancer research
- Use a variety of laboratory tools, such as cell manipulations, cell inoculation to produce animal thyroid tumor models, molecular genetic tools, Western blotting, PCR, genetic analysis to conduct laboratory thyroid cancer search
- Investigate genetic patterns in human thyroid tumors and perform genetic-clinical correlation analyses for diagnostic and prognostic clinical translational studies of thyroid cancer.
- Organize, analyze and summarize the research data to prepare laboratory and scientific meeting reports on thyroid cancer research.
- Present data at meetings.
- Write/draft scientific manuscripts for publications from the research projects
- Participate as a member of collaborative group study team in study design and development of thyroid cancer research projects.
- Help train and supervise junior postdoctoral fellows and students with the above skills and expertise for thyroid cancer research
- Suggest ideas for new research projects.
- Conduct training sessions for junior personnel and students on the program.
- Works with the PI to prepare and submit annual IRB renewal requests, amendments and adverse event reports according to IRB requirements for human thyroid tumor tissue collection related to the clinical translational thyroid cancer research.
- Maintains excellent working knowledge of all assigned study protocols and reporting requirements.
- Coordinates, organize and arrange regular scientific meetings for the team members as needed; prepares agendas, material for, and coordination of meetings with researchers on the thyroid research program in the lab.
- Train research staff on job functions and performs quality assurance reviews for the scientific data.
- Maintains detailed working knowledge of protocols
- Designs spreadsheets and databases for tracking and management of research data
- Perform statistical analyses on research data, particularly thyroid cancer genetic-clinical correlation data using standard statistical software
- Performs literature searches for presentations, and publications
- Ensures accuracy and timeliness of data collection.
- Interacts regularly with members of the research team regarding data management and the status and progress of ongoing studies.
- Data entry and management using database and other computer software
- Track and assess quality of data entry and abstraction.
- Meets regularly with the PI and other senior members of the team to discuss study progress. Participates in all mandatory meetings of the research program and helps to prepare material for these meetings.
- Prepares reports as required by the principal investigators and senior scientists on the program. Is highly experienced and knowledgeable and complies with all standard laboratory research protocols, regulations, and policies; may instruct introductory level research personnel in these guidelines and policies.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or other related science, and at least four years of experience and expertise directly and specifically in thyroid cancer research as evidenced by scientific publications on thyroid cancer research, particularly genetic and clinical translational thyroid cancer research.
Requires a minimum of a master’s degree in biology (e.g. Molecular Biology, Molecular Bioengineering or Genetics), and a minimum of two years of experience and expertise directly and specifically in thyroid cancer research as evidenced by scientific publications on thyroid cancer research, particularly genetic and clinical translational thyroid cancer research.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Able to perform scientific research through conducing laboratory experiments using a variety of techniques, such as cell culture, microscopy, DNA extraction, PCR, Western blotting, tumor animal procedures, and others. Skills and expertise in handling special thyroid cancer cell lines and developing thyroid tumor animal models.
Proficiency in the use of software applications, databases, spreadsheets, and word processing required. Excellent organizational, attention to detail, and time management skills required. Knowledge of genetic-clinical translational research and principles required, particularly in thyroid cancer research. Actual strong research experience is required. Able to manage multiple and competing priorities. Have excellent communication skills.
Any specific physical requirements for the job:
Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
Finger dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand or arm, for example, using a keyboard.
Communication skills using the spoken word.
Ability to see within normal parameters
Ability to hear within normal ranges
Ability to move about
Supervisory responsibility (indicate the number and type of persons supervised by incumbent):
Supervises the junior personnel (typically 4-5 fresh or junior trainees—e.g., students and junior postdoctoral fellows) to provide them technical assistance and operational advices on thyroid cancer research. Trains these personnel involved in performing experimental performance, data collection and data entry as well as provides resource support to other personnel for unplanned problems. Help interview, hire and discipline the personnel on the thyroid cancer research program.
Classified title: Sr. Research Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ACRP/ 4/ MC
Starting Salary Range: $43,872 - $60,402
Employee group: Full time
Schedule: Working 37.5 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00
Location: School of Medicine East Baltimore Campus
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com . For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
Research Technician C, Yeshiva University, United States, about 18 hours ago
Founded in 1955, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Einstein) is one of the nation’s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time facult...
Director, Digital Pathology, Columbia University, United States, 18 days ago
Job Title Director, Digital Pathology Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091405 Department 7538- PAT Pathology Location Medical Center Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit If tem...
Assistant Director, Columbia University, United States, about 4 hours ago
Job Title Assistant Director Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091633 Department 7538- PAT Pathology Location Medical Center Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit If temporary, i...
Bioinformatics Software Developer, Columbia University, United States, about 4 hours ago
Job Title Bioinformatics Software Developer Job Code Title Job Requisition Number 091701 Department 7574- JSB C2B2 Location Medical Center Job Type Officer Full-Time Regular Bargaining Unit If te...
Research Specialist, HHMI, United States, about 23 hours ago
Research Specialist Tracking Code 715-908 Job Description The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) has an opening for a skilled biochemist to provide assistance to multiple projects in the labor...
Technician B, Columbia University, United States, about 5 hours ago
Job Title Technician B Job Code Title Technical 4 Job Requisition Number 091719 Department 7541- PED Pediatrics Location Medical Center Job Type Support Staff Part-Time Regular Bargaining Unit 119...