The Leibniz-Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops (IGZ) aims for excellence in horticultural research and related plant, environmental, nutritional and social sciences. IGZ is based in Großbeeren close to Berlin and is a member of the Leibniz Association (WGL). IGZ conducts strategic and international research for the sustainable production and use of vegetables, contributing to food security, human well-being and the conservation of natural resources. At IGZ, researchers from different disciplines work together on core-funded and grant-funded projects, in collaboration with national and international research partners.
To undertake the research in this project, we are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious
PhD student in “Identification and characterization of plant compounds in herbaceous wild plants”
Reference Number: 15/2021/3
The salary will be based on qualification and research experience according to the wage agreement TV-L, salary domain east, up to EG 13, 65% of the regular working time. The conferral of a doctorate is possible at the Technische Universität Berlin.
Employment will be available as soon as possible and will be initially until 30. September 2024.
The PhD student will be part of the research group „OPTIGLUP-Optimization of Glucosinolate Degradation Pathways“ which is funded by the Leibniz-Association in the programme "Leibniz-Best Minds" and internationally well connected. The group investigates mechanistic relationships between secondary plant metabolites and the environment, the influence of food processing and effects on human health using state-of-the-art methods and instruments. The PhD-student will work on the project „Etablierung eines Anbau- und Verwertungssystems von gebietsheimischen und klimaangepassten Wildpflanzen mit hoher Wertschöpfung in der Lausitz (InnoWild)“. In that context, bioactive compounds of herbaceous plants will be identified and quantified using complementary instrumental analytical methods and environmental effects on these compounds will be investigated.
- identification and quantification of plant secondary metabolites
- design and execution of plant growth experiments and of analytical measurements using GC-MS and HPLC-MS
- isolation of natural products and NMR analysis
- method development of analytical methods
- documentation of experiments
- supervision of bachelor and master students
- writing scientific publications and presentation of results to international scientific audience
We are looking for highly motivated candidates with the following qualifications and profile
- a Master (MSc) or diploma degree in food chemistry, chemistry or a related field
- working experience in instrumental analytical methods such as GC-MS, HPLC-MS, NMR
- experience in plant cultivation technologies as well as in plant extraction methods for extraction of metabolites
- readiness to learn usage of different analytical software
- experiences with Excel for evaluation of results
- readiness to work together with students and technicians
- high sense of responsibility, accurateness, and ability to focus
- readiness to integrate into an international working environment
- good organization and English language communication skills, knowledge of German is advantageous
- the possibility to contribute to an exciting project with importance for human nutrition
- a challenging job in plant sciences
- a place of employment located close to the city of Berlin with state-of-the art research facilities
- participation in a successful, dedicated and team-oriented research group
- flexible and family-friendly working time models
Please send a strong motivation letter stating why this is an interesting topic for you and why you have the right attitude and expertise to contribute to the project and make progress in this field. Also send your CV and copies of academic certificates.
More information on about the IGZ you can find under www.igzev.de . For questions please contact: Dr. habil. Franziska Hanschen, Head of the Research Group OPTIGLUP (++49(0)33701 78 250; firstname.lastname@example.org ).
We encourage a healthy work-life balance. The IGZ attaches great importance to equal opportunities. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference in case of equal qualifications. The IGZ embraces diversity in its workforce, and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, belief or ethnic origin.
We prefer to receive applications by email to email@example.com in pdf format by 08.12.2021. Please cite the above reference number in the subject line of your email. Our postal address is: Personalbüro, Institute for Vegetable and Ornamental Crops, Theodor-Echtermeyer-Weg 1, D-14979 Großbeeren.
Doctoral Researcher (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute (Leibniz-HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de ) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and ident...
Ph D Student (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
PhD Student (m/f/d) Local and Systemic Responses in Root-Microbe Interactions In the frame of the DFG funded priority programme “Deconstruction and Reconstruction of the Plant Microbiota: DECRyPT”...
Postdoc Position (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute for East and Southeast European Studies (IOS) researches the historical, economic, and political development of Eastern as well as Southeastern Europe. Since 2017, the IOS ha...
Researcher (Ph D Student) (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
The Leibniz-Institut für Wissensmedien (IWM) conducts research into the acquisition and sharing of knowledge and cooperation with digital media. The institute is a member of the Leibniz Associatio...
Staff Scientist Position In Mass Spectrometry (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
Staff Scientist Position in Mass Spectrometry (f/m/d) (Ref. 08/2022) Job description The mass spectrometry and proteomics technology platform at the FMP consists of an international team of enthus...
Ph D And Postdoc Positions In Cell Biology, Neurobiology And Informatics (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
We have several open positions for PhD students and postdoctoral researchers. Our group focuses on using multi-disciplinary approaches that combines proteomics, cross-linking mass spectrometry, mo...