The Cluster of Excellence livMatS develops completely novel, life-like materials systems that adapt autonomously to various environments and harvest clean energy from their surroundings. The intention of these purely technical – yet in a behavioral sense quasi-living – materials systems is to meet the demands of humans with regard to pioneering environmental and energy technologies. The societal relevance of autonomous systems and their sustainability will thus play an important role in their development. The research program of livMatS is characterized by highly interdisciplinary collaboration between researchers from a broad range of fields including engineering, chemistry, physics, biology, psychology, the humanities, and sustainability sciences.
H2O2 is a very interesting fuel to be used in dissipative adaptive material systems. The traditional methods to synthesize H2O2 include heterogeneous catalytic processes that require costly noble metals, and organic solvents, which are energy/waste-intensive and hazardous. Very interesting in that context, is the possibility to produce H2O2 (photo)electrochemically in aqueous electrolytes. The present project will be devoted to developing photoelectrodes, catalysts and integrated (photo)electrochemical H2O2 devices, allowing the decentralized H2O2 production from water, air and sunlight. Extensive characterization of the devices to better understand their working principles and to identify limiting factors are an integral part of the project.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate who:
• holds a master degree in chemistry, material science or related subject;
• has a good knowledge in inorganic chemistry, material chemistry and (photo)electrochemistry;
• has experience in wet chemical synthesis, processing and material characterization;
• is strongly motivated to execute experimental work;
• has a problem solving mindset;
• can assist student project work, exercise and lab sessions for chemical lab courses;
• is capable of independent and critical thinking, independent working, smoothly integrating into an international research group;
• has excellent presentation and writing skills;
• has very good written and spoken English (German language is not mandatory, but advantageous)
Please hand in:
• Letter of intent detailing why you are interested in this specific project and how your previous research qualifies you for the project (up to 1,500 words)
• Curriculum Vitae with list of publications (if applicable)
• Certified copies of your university degree(s) with grades (BA and MA certificate / Diploma certificate and transcript)
• Short summary of your master’s thesis (up to 1,000 words)
• Work sample (chapter from recent thesis or journal article, up to 5,000 words)
• Suggestion of two referees with contact details
Your documents will not be returned after the application process. For this reason, please submit copies only. This position is limited to 36 months. The salary will be determined in accordance with TV-L E13. We are particularly pleased to receive applications from women for the position advertised here.
Please send your application in English including supporting documents mentioned above citing the reference number 00002540, Application deadline is 16 October 2022.
Application is to be emailed as ONE SINGLE PDF FILE to firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct all scientific questions about the project toProf. Anna Fischer
Ph D Research Position On Optimal Pre Processing For Sustainable Dissolution Based Recycling, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 10 days ago
The objective of this PhD is the development of an innovative recycling process configuration, combining mechanical and chemical treatment steps, for selected end-of-life plastic waste materials f...
Ph D Position – Development Of Electrospun Separators For Aluminum Ion Batteries, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 1 hour ago
Your Job: The success of the energy transition is heavily dependent on innovative and efficient electrochemical energy storage systems. Currently, Li-ion is the most promising energy-storage techn...
Ph D Position – Characterization Of Metallic Lithium As Anode Material By In Situ Scanning Probe Microscopy, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 1 hour ago
Your Job: Metallic Lithium is considered as a future anode material in Lithium-Ion-Batteries because of its high energy density. Currently, challenges include an exact understanding of the dendrit...
Two Ph D Positions In The Delley Group, Department Of Chemistry, University Of Basel , University of Basel, Switzerland, 2 days ago
Your position The two positions can each start as early as 1.2.2023 or later (starting date to be fixed upon agreement between the candidate and Prof. Delley). The topic of the research project of...
Ph D Student Position In Thermo Chemical Recycling Of Plastic Waste, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 6 hours ago
Are you as well fed up with inadequate recycling of plastic waste? Our group at the division of Energy Technology together with our partners in industry work towards laying the foundation of the n...
Ph D Position – Sustainable Polymers And Membranes For Fuel Cells And Water Electrolysis, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 1 hour ago
Your Job: You will be part of the department "Electrocatalytic Interfacial Engineering", headed by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Simon Thiele, in the team "Membrane Processing and Synthesis", headed by Dr. Joche...