The Polsky Center brings the power of ideas in the laboratory, classroom, and community to the world. The Polsky Center houses the University of Chicago’s technology transfer unit, which manages all University-based intellectual property originating from faculty research and discoveries that can be licensed to industry partners and investors. In addition, through education, resources, and programs, the Polsky Center commercializes discoveries, partners with companies, and attracts venture capital. The Polsky Center runs a top-ranked business accelerator, the Edward L. Kaplan, ’71, New Venture Challenge; operates a 34,000 square-foot, multi-disciplinary co-working space called the Polsky Exchange; manages the George Shultz Innovation Fund that invests in early-stage ventures; and offers a state-of-the-art Fabrication Lab for prototyping new products.
About the Department
As an integral part of the University of Chicago Polsky Center’s Science and Technology team, the Technology Development Manager develops and manages strong relationships with faculty across the University. The Manager actively solicits and evaluates inventions and software arising from University research for intellectual property protection and commercial potential, prioritizing projects according to commercial opportunities and revenue requirements. Technology Development Managers are responsible for a diverse portfolio of technologies and work in a growing team of patent, contract, business development, and entrepreneurship specialists to protect and license inventions to existing companies and startups. New hires are expected to develop strong relationships with inventors, legal counsel, prospective and current licensees, and Polsky Center colleagues to promote the mission of the University of Chicago and its Polsky Center to catalyze ideas into impact.
This position develops and implements program related to identification, investigation, and negotiation of licensing opportunities for permission to use intellectual property rights, including trademarks, patents or technology. Solves unique and complex problems related to the transfer and use of intellectual property. Provides specialized expertise to faculty to transform ideas and discoveries into patents, licenses, products, services, and ventures.
- Promotes the mission and business of the University of Chicago’s Polsky Center through the development of strong relationships with inventors (mainly faculty members), legal counsel, prospective and actual licensees, and Polsky Center colleagues.
- Screens inventions; evaluates and decides which inventions and software to pursue.
- Works as part of a team to manage patent prosecution for selected inventions.
- Works with Science and Technology market intelligence team members to develop and execute marketing plans for inventions and software.
- Works with Science and Technology business development team members to negotiate and execute intellectual property licenses and other agreements, such as confidentiality and material transfer agreements, as well as those between research institutions.
- Works with Operations data management and compliance team members on data collection, reporting, and compliance related to invention disclosures, patents, and agreements.
- Keeps up-to-date on the latest regulations related to technology transfer compliance.
- Develops intellectual portfolio patenting, licensing, and commercialization activities. Interprets patent issues and reviews patent prosecution for selected inventions.
- Uses depth and breadth of knowledge to promote the mission and business of the department through developing strong relationships with inventors, legal counsel, prospective and actual licensees, and colleagues.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
- Advanced degree in chemistry, materials science, physics, biology, computer science, bioengineering, molecular engineering, chemical engineering or related discipline.
- Experience with technology transfer and commercialization, including internship or fellowship programs, in university or industry setting.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Knowledge of intellectual property.
- Proficiency with computers.
- Excellent customer service and relationship skills, particularly with academic faculty members.
- Outstanding organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communications.
- Attention to detail with clear understanding of how to prioritize workload appropriately.
- Excellent analytical and computational skills.
- Work well under pressure and manage multi-task projects.
- Work independently with a high degree of initiative.
- Work effectively within a team.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (preferred)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Legal & Regulatory Affairs
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Employees must comply with the University’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements. More information about the requirements can be found on the University of Chicago Vaccination GoForward .
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Assistant Director, Student Programs, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 13 days ago
Details Posted: 25-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR22205 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Laboratory Schools: Makerspace Teacher Middle School/High School, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 27 days ago
Details Posted: 11-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Other Staff/Administrative Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21862 Location: Chicago, IL Job De...
Senior Instructional Professor (Open Rank) Data Science, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 29 days ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: Chicago, IL Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 124966 The Data Science Institute in the Physical Sciences Division at the University of ...
Som Faculty Academic Anesthesiologists [80% Fte] #Acc061.2, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 26 days ago
Details Posted: 12-May-23 Location: Chicago, IL Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 123543 The University of Chicago's Department of Anesthesia & Critical Care seeks 80% eff...
Technical Project Manager Specialist, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 26 days ago
Details Posted: 12-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Information Technology Staff/Administrative Internal Number: JR21757 Location: Chicago, IL Job Descri...
It Services Associate , City Colleges of Chicago, United States, about 15 hours ago
IT Services Associate Harold Washington College The Office of Information Technology supports the mission of the City Colleges of Chicago by working in partnership to create sustainable technology...