Campus: Downtown Phoenix
Business Ops Specialist Sr
The Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions is seeking a Business Operations Specialist Senior (BOSS) to assist the College Business Services (CBS) team. Under general supervision, this position plans, organizes and coordinates the business operations functions in accordance with established goals, priorities, time limitations and guidelines. The BOSS serves an important role within CBS ensuring continuity of operations with college-wide business operating functions, providing the versatility and agility to respond to evolving and dynamic needs. They also participate as a contributing member of the College’s overall business services staff to assist in business process improvement. Duties may vary throughout the year based upon needs and is expected to spend approximately 75% of the time focused on human resource functions and 25% on financial functions. Candidates will need to have a strong human resource background to perform well in this role.
This position reports to the Director of HR and Business Operations and will regularly interact with CBS, College and unit-level management requiring a high level of discretion and professional communication.
PUBSRV Business Services
VP/EXEC VICE PROV DPC
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$44,928 - $60,000 per year; DOE
- Performs human resource and financial processing for units as assigned.
- Works closely with college personnel and central ASU offices (Office of Human Resources and Financial Services) to coordinate all activities, and to ensure adherence with college and university policies, practices and regulations.
- Processes all assigned personnel transactions (position updates, hires, job changes, terminations, additional pays) in PeopleSoft. Confirms accuracy of job data, appropriate recordkeeping, and takes appropriate action in a timely manner to correct errors.
- Coordinates and processes personnel searches for staff and student worker positions in Kenexa BrassRing. Oversees the onboarding of new hires.
- Performs or manages all activities associated with Department Time Administrator to ensure accurate and timely recording of exception and positive time for employees.
- Performs biweekly payroll reconciliations in order to ensure compliance with university policy and procedure and audit requirements. Investigates payroll discrepancies and works as a liaison between the college and Payroll Office to reach a solution.
- Processes payroll redistributions and account funding changes to ensure payroll accounting accurately reflects budget.
- Reviews and processes travel requests/reimbursements and purchase of supplies, services, and equipment with use of P Card and other purchasing documents in accordance with established procurement and financial policies.
- Reconciles P-Card transactions and maintains supporting documentation in accordance with ASU and College policies and procedures.
- Monitors or oversees the monitoring of a variety of account expenditures, advises and/or determines which expenditures are within the budget guidelines; informs management of irregularities and proceeds with corrective action.
- Processes expense transfers and conducts monthly reconciliation of operational expenditures.
- Processes, tracks and funds student awards and scholarship payments and approves in PeopleSoft.
- Processes and routes all contractor payments, understanding and determining contractor vs. employee relationships.
- Provides fund balance tracking; provides information, guidance, and interpretation of complex federal and state regulations governing management of grants and contracts, as well as state, local foundation, or other funding sources.
- Organizes and/or prepares departmental administrative and financial reports; analyzes, summarizes and interprets information; recommends or implements action to be taken.
- Participates in internal and external audits. Ensures documentation is maintained in accordance with audit recommendations for payroll reconciliations, P Cards and financial and HR records.
- Serves as a point of contact for all HR and financial questions to assigned unit(s).
- Maintains electronic and paper personnel files consistent with University policies and practices.
- Provides fiscal oversight and ensures that unit adheres to ASU and College policies.
- Represents the college/department and serves on various college and university committees.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND five (5) years of related experience; OR, Nine (9) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- Experience in processing time administration, personnel transactions, creating job postings/recruitment and record keeping/file maintenance at ASU.
- Experience in performing accounts payable, scholarships, travel and reconciliation support at ASU.
- Experience using PeopleSoft, Kenexa BrassRing, WorkDay, IFAS, PaymentNet, Concur, ASU Analytics Reporting and Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience in performing audits and working with sensitive/confidential information.
- Experience in preparing detailed financial information for a variety of constituencies.
- Experience in working in a high-volume, customer service-oriented environment.
- Experience working independently and utilizing communication/problem solving skills to efficiently identify issues, concerns and interests and provide effective solutions.
- Experience in working effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities and short deadlines.
- Experience in developing and maintaining cooperative working relationships both within and across organizational areas.
- Experience in planning, analyzing and establishing priorities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASU’s Financial, Fiscal, HR and Travel policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all applicable federal, state and regulatory requirements, laws and standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of customer service standards, methods and practices.
- Activities are generally performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse.
- Frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances, including travel between buildings at the Downtown campus, to perform work.
- Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Use office equipment such as a calculator, telephone, computer (monitor, keyboard and mouse), printer, fax and copier.
- This position receives general review of objectives.
The Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions embraces students and faculty dedicated to rigorous education and research in the service of social and economic change. Areas of expertise include: improving the quality of life for individuals and families from all backgrounds; innovative approaches to public management; and nonprofit leadership and organizational effectiveness. We partner with those intent on addressing critical social issues and are confident that Phoenix and the State of Arizona can be exemplars for the future.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Assistant Area Agent, Family And Consumer Sciences (Extension Professional Iii), The University of Arizona, United States, about 3 hours ago
Sign In Create Profile Assistant Area Agent, Family and Consumer Sciences (Extension Professional III) St. Johns, AZ, United States | req5188 Apply Now Share Save Job Back to Search Assistant Area...
Director Of Administrative Operations And External Affairs Ihrp (Job Id #145535), University of Illinois, United States, 4 days ago
Director of Administrative Operations and External Affairs: Institute for Health Research and Policy The Institute for Health Research and Policy (IHRP) invites applications for the position of Di...
Financial Specialist, George Mason University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Position Information Department Mason Enterprise Center Alternate Department Description Community Business Partnership Criminal Background Check Standard Background Check Motor Vehicle Background...
Administrative Support Assistant, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 7 days ago
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS: If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process . ...
Department Coordinator, Clinical Affairs & Interprofessional Edu, Temple University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Department Coordinator, Clinical Affairs & Interprofessional Edu - (21000963) Description The Department Coordinator for the College of Public Health’s department of Clinical Affairs and Interprof...
Director, Environment Health & Safety, Washington State University, Worldwide, 3 days ago
Title: 1155-NN - Director Business Title: Director, Environment Health & Safety Location: Employee Type: Admin. Professional Job Family: Administrative Professional - Not OT Eligible Position Deta...