Energy Studies Institute
The Energy Studies Institute (ESI) is a research institute in the National University of Singapore seeking to advance the understanding of energy policy issues by conducting independent research and analysis. We are looking for researchers to join a multi-disciplinary team carrying out research projects on a range of energy issues that are of concern to Singapore and the region.
ESI has an opening for Research Fellow to ensure the timely delivery of research and policy recommendations with national, regional and/or international clients. This position’s research focus is on the assessment of the environmental impacts associated with the lifecycle of a construction site, that includes but not limited to, operation planning, infrastructure and building design & construction, and related building systems, all within the context of strategies in monitoring and lowering carbon emissions. The focus will also include the development and delivery of a comprehensive carbon calculation tool specifically tailored for Singapore’s construction industry stakeholders.
Commensurate with experience, and working as part of a team, tasks may include the following:
- Preparing and reporting- knowledge regarding governments strategies and policies, at least at a basic level of understanding, will be required on areas including but not limited to:
- Building Construction & Engineering design and development processes; from concept, design development to construction phases.;
- Basic knowledge of architecture, building systems (including cooling systems potentially at the precinct and/or district level), M&E technology, equipment and their performance.
- Trends in low-carbon-emission building system technology;
- Green Building design; rating systems such as Green Mark or LEED, as well as environmental protection initiatives such as UNSD Agenda, Singapore’s Green Plan, etc.
- Understanding of lifecycle assessment and the related ISOs.
- The appointed candidate will need to work with a team of researchers and help to coherently report on the current development of environmental protection strategies and policies in reducing carbon emissions for the building and construction sector, assist in collection and consolidate necessary data, and participate in the development of a carbon calculator.
- Desktop research based on primary and secondary sources. Besides information gathering, the purpose would be to examine how they are relevant to Singapore’s context. The research undertaken will be both quantitative and qualitative in nature, and active contribution of knowledge and experience in building design and construction is required.
- Engagement with local stakeholders from various sectors to exchange views and gain insights. This is a continuous and ad hoc process that will take place across the full project timeline.
- A PhD degree in the fields of architecture and design, engineering, urban planning, environmental management, or other related disciplines
- Relevant research experience in Life Cycle Assessment or technology evaluation methodology (e.g. Techno-Economic Analysis) would be an advantage
- Relevant knowledge and working experience in construction industry, as well as architectural project management and design processes would be advantageous
- Possess strong interpersonal, organisational and communication skills, with the ability to work well both independently and in a team
- Possess strong influencing and collaboration qualities, analytical abilities, and a broad sense of perspective
- Quantitative skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform research.
- An understanding of general building software, such as BIM and BMS.
- Experience in scenario planning (including by stakeholder engagement e.g. stakeholder workshops) is an asset.
To apply for this position, please combine the following documents in 1 PDF and attach it under the CV column when submitting your application:
- Curriculum vitae
- A cover letter, of no more than 800 words, explaining the applicant’s past research experience and aptitude in relation to the research project
Interested candidates, please submit your application with all the required documents. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. Shortlisted applicants may be called for interview, either in person or by zoom, as appropriate. If you have not heard from us within 3 months, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students are one of our utmost priorities, and COVID-vaccination supports our commitment to ensure the safety of our community and to make NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interactions with students/staff/public members. Even for job roles that may be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presence is required.
Taking into consideration the health and well-being of our staff and students and to better protect everyone in the campus, applicants are strongly encouraged to have themselves fully COVID-19 vaccinated to secure successful employment with NUS.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: Energy Studies Institute
Department : Research
Job requisition ID : 18119
Wise Academy Postdoctoral Position In Sustainable Carbon Composite Electrodes For Energy Storage, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, 2 days ago
Luleå University of Technology experiences rapid growth with world-leading expertise within several research domains. We shape the future through innovative education and groundbreaking research r...
2022 224 05065 Postdoc In Probabilistic Risk Assessment In Modern Power Systems, Aalborg University, Denmark, 15 days ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, AAU Energy, a position as Postdoc for up to two years in Probabilistic Risk Assessment in Modern Power Systems is open for appointment from 1. May 2023 o...
Postdoc In Technoeconomic Modelling Of Integrated Green Biorefineries, Aarhus University (AU), Denmark, 13 days ago
The Department of Biological and Chemical Engineering, Aarhus University, invites qualified applicants for a two 2-year postdoc position offering applicants to join the research and development wi...
Postdoc Position On Civil Engineering , Tsinghua Shenzhen International Graduate School (Tsinghua SIGS) ;, China, about 4 hours ago
Postdoc Position on Civil Engineering at Tsinghua University, Shenzhen, China Postdoc position is now open at Tsinghua University (2023 QS world rank 14, 2023 US News world rank 23) to investigate...
Postdoc Urban Hydrometeorology, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
The 4TU programme HEat Robustness In relation To AGEing cities (HERITAGE) will develop a high-tech sensing and modelling system aiming at the detection, reduction and prevention of heat-stress ass...
Ph D Research Fellow In Photoelectrochemical Hydrogen Production , University of Oslo, Norway, 3 days ago
28th February 2023 Languages English English English PhD Research Fellow in Photoelectrochemical Hydrogen Production Apply for this job See advertisement Job description Position as PhD Research F...