Department RECETOX – Faculty of Science
Deadline 15 Nov 2021
Start date upon agreement
Job type full-time | part-time
Job field IS/IT: Development of applications and systems
The Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the
Scientific software developer
Workplace: RECETOX, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Working Hours: full time, 40 hours per week / part time, 20 hours per week
Expected Start Date: as soon as possible, or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non-EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 2
Application Deadline: November 15, 2021, or until the position is filled
RECETOX focuses on interdisciplinary research and education in the area of Environment & Health, studying toxic compounds and their behavior, transport & bioaccumulation to evaluate environmental effects, assess the exposure and health risks to humans, and develop technologies and biotechnologies to break them down. https://www.recetox.muni.cz/en
We seek a motivated SW developer with solid technological background for the development of mass spectrometry analytical pipelines, tools and workflows written mostly in Python and R. You will be part of an international and multidisciplinary team of SW developers under the Spectrometric Data Processing and Analysis Research Infrastructure (RI), working in close collaboration with the researchers of the Biomarker Analytical Laboratories .
The overarching goal is to develop a suite of tools to analyse mass spectrometry data for the identification and quantification of small molecules/chemicals in human and other biospecimen, in order to better understand human health.
The position offers time flexibility, a high level of interdisciplinarity within fields of applied informatics, bioinformatics and applied analytical chemistry with a vast potential for the development of your expertise.
As being part of RI, the position offers a unique opportunity for long term engagement in the academic field and potential for international collaboration with other European RIs. We emphasize on professional SW developments standards and contributing to open-source projects and open-science.
Responsibilities may include
- Development of scientific computational applications, modification and extensions of 3rd party applications, mostly for mass spectrometry Primary development in Python and R programming languages Continuous communication with the scientists & users about:
- Understanding of the scientific problem to be solved Informal algorithm specifications, mathematical formulae, engineering requirements
- Engagement in open-source projects with external partners
- Software implementation according to these specifications:
- Robust, well tested, modular and maintainable code Contribution to open-source, 3rd party software Packaging of new & 3rd party software into reusable components
Skills and Qualifications
- Creativity, open mind, continuous search for improvements, innovative thinking
- Ongoing self-education as part of the job
- Extensive engagement in collaborative software development tasks(code reviews, documentation writing, upstream contributions)
- Knowledge at the level of a master’s degree in computing, electrical engineering, or computational disciplines in natural sciences (bioinformatics, computational chemistry, …)
- Some experience in collaborative software development
- Willingness to learn about the research area gradually
- Good English skills
Beneficial to have/know
- Knowledge of additional programming languages (Java, C++, C#, Julia) Experience with the following frameworks / technologies
- Galaxy, KNime, SnakeMake, NextFlow Docker, Singularity CRAN, Conda, PyPI Git, GitHub SSH, remote development Visualizations (ggplot2/pyplot/other)
- Experience in mass spectrometry data processing or other domain knowledge
- Working experience as software engineer (or comparable) in industry
- Vibrant working environment and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- The dynamic group surrounded by an international team of experts Involvement in national and international projects
6 weeks of leave per year, health insurance, pension insurance contribution, meal vouchers, discounted language courses, etc. Support with your relocation – more information here https://www.muni.cz/en/about-us/careers/international-staff-office-iso Brno provides a high quality of life; it is a university city with lots of cultures and very family-friendly https://brnoregion.com/work We offer an initial appointment for one year with possible extension upon mutual satisfaction.
Applicants should provide the following information in English
- CV (European standard recommended) Cover letter
The deadline for applications is on 15 November 2021. A review of applications will run continuously as they are received and until the position is filled. The short-listed applicants complying with the requirements will be invited for personal or Teams interviews.
The application shall be submitted online via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below). After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz .
Contact: email@example.com , Barbora Chlubná.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers . Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided. The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here .
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with nine faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of Masaryk University, generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Brno, the capital of the South Moravian Region, situated approximately halfway between Prague and Vienna, it is the second largest university city in the Czech Republic and a modern metropolis with a long history and culture. Recognizing the university’s significant role in making Brno one of the most innovative cities in the CEE region, it continuously supports, together with the South Moravian Region, the local scientific, start-up, and high-tech communities.
Visit our Career page .
Software Developer, R/Python/Galaxy, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Department: RECETOX – Faculty of Science Deadline: 28 Feb 2022 Start date: upon agreement Job type: full-time | part-time Job field: IS/IT: Development of applications and systems The Bursar of...
Tenure Track Faculty Position, Assistant Professor In Chemical Exposure And/Or Metabolite Profiling, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Department: RECETOX – Faculty of Science Deadline: 1 Mar 2022 Start date: upon agreement Job type: full-time Job field: Science and research The Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University...
Assistant Professor Of The Urology Clinic Of The Faculty Of Medicine Mu, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Department: Department of Urology – Faculty of Medicine Deadline: 21 Feb 2022 Start date: upon agreement Job type: part-time Job field: Science and research | Education and schooling The Dean o...
Assistant Professor Of The Department Of Medical Ethics Of The Faculty Of Medicine Mu, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Department: Department of Medical Ethics – Faculty of Medicine Deadline: 21 Feb 2022 Start date: upon agreement Job type: part-time Job field: Science and research | Education and schooling The...
Associate Professor For Department Of Czech Language, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
Department: Department of Czech Language – Faculty of Arts Deadline: 2 Feb 2022 Start date: 1 September 2022 Job type: part-time Job field: Science and research | Education and schooling Dean o...
Instructor Of The Department Of Ophthalmology Of The Faculty Of Medicine Mu, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Department: Department of Ophthalmology – Faculty of Medicine Deadline: 16 Feb 2022 Start date: upon agreement Job type: part-time Job field: Science and research | Education and schooling The ...