The Budget Analyst (BA) will provide direct support to the Departmental Administrative Manager and the Research Service Analysts (RSA), faculty, researchers, staff, and students for the Department of Biophysics in the area of financial management with a prime focus on cradle to grave research administration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance Administration/Budgeting and Accounting
- Ensure that all costs are reasonable, allowable and allocable and consistently treated from internal University policies and procedures to agency specific rules and regulations. This cradle to grave activity relating to all non-payroll costs --from origination of cost to final reconciliation of cost.
- Keep abreast of policies and procedures for federal and non-federal regulations that apply to sponsored proposals to ensure compliance. Ensure compliance with University and/or agency regulations and restrictions, i.e.
- Terms and conditions of agreements/awards vary and these must be considered when determining an allowable purchase. Restrictions may be expressed on a third party procurement agreement.
- Internal JHU and Agency specific Export Control regulations must be adhered to for activity relating to international labs doing equipment calibration or scientific sample analysis.
- Agency specific travel regulations
- Internal and external rules relating to asset purchases, accounting, and reporting.
- Compliance discernment and adherence is required to avoid costs being disallowed.
- Reconcile monthly sponsored financial statements according to University guidelines.
- Ensure all applicable direct and indirect cost rates have been applied correctly.
- Responsible for accurate and timely internal and external billing and receipt of payments.
- Prepare and assist in the development of budget justifications to ensure their relationship to budgeted dollars.
- Work with project PIs, Co-Investigators, and administrative staff to ensure effective, accurate, and timely budget allocation, project initiation, and maintenance and reporting of all financial activity.
- Run reports as requested by Manager/RSA/PI; analyze data for accuracy, reason-ability, and allow-ability.
- Assist with compliance issues for sponsored research (i.e., cost transfers and effort reporting).
- Collaborate with Finance Staff and PIs to analyze costs and review balances.
- Monitor, identify, and communicate over-expenditures to faculty and supervisor.
- As required verify compliance with protocols such as IRB, IACIC, and Export Control, and handling of radioactive sources.
- Perform statistical, cost and financial analyses of data, and extract and define relevant information. Manipulate data and develop scenarios for financial reports and presentations to PI.
- Conduct annual review of group fixed service center fees (telephone, network, backup, etc.).
- Process a variety of SAP transactions associated with budgets, personnel, and sponsored funding.
- Reconcile approximately 10 faculty and staff procurement cards. Obtain and submit required supporting documentation. Work with faculty and staff to properly allocate expenses.
- May assist with Coeus proposal application, gather and prepare required documents and load data into Coeus.
- Manage group UPS, USPS, and FedEx accounts verifying expenses and responsible internal orders
- May be requested to compose documents and develop reports for faculty and researchers.
- Prepare travel advances.
- Prepare cash deposit forms.
- Initiates procurement card purchases in accordance with University Purchasing Policy, Procurement Card training and training materials, the Cardholder Agreement, and other specific internal requirements and in accordance with agency/grant specific requirements.
- Create and maintain electronic and paper files.
- Training and assistance with financial staff regarding:
- Relating to operation of general office equipment.
- General office logistics
- Various transaction processes
- Various reporting tools and formats
- Electronic protocol and naming conventions
- Provide assistance/Collaborate with SRSA/RSA for space assignment and room preparation for members of the group and visitors. Work with RSAs/faculty/Facilities Manager to aid in the completion of space functionalization as required for F&A rate analysis.
- Maintain confidential internal records, databases and files
Other Duties as Assigned