About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD candidate in Interaction Design and Learning Technologies.
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
Designing the conditions for engaging in meaningful learning and supporting the students are vital but challenging processes. Contemporary learning systems utilize data such as keystrokes, log files, and clicks to interpret complex learning phenomena. In recent years, multimodal data’s potential to help us understand the world around us and interpret the complex learning processes in it led learning technology research to develop models that can process information from multiple modalities. Although the collection, interpretation, and visualization of multimodal data has been extremely challenging for researchers, recent technological developments and data science, and AI advancements have boosted the growth of non-invasive high-frequency multimodal-data collections.
The successful candidate is expected to be a member of the Learner-Computer Interaction (LCI) lab. LCI provides an interdisciplinary playground for researchers and professionals across all areas of learning technologies, psychology, learning sciences and interaction design. More information about the LCI lab can be found here .
The position is expected to contribute on designing the conditions for engaging learning and tools for supporting learners. The objectives and the research questions of the PhD project will be developed in consultation with the supervisors during the first months of the fellowship.
You will report to the Head of the Department.
Duties of the position
The goal of the PhD projects is to explore learner’s (preferably with a focus on children and young adults) interaction in experiences relevant to CS education, leveraging contemporary and advanced methods. This work will build on an interdisciplinary approach, bridging the domains of learning sciences, interaction design, and learning technology. We are seeking a highly motivated individual that wants to excel in a research environment.
Part of the main duties and responsibilities include conducting the following tasks:
- Conduct a literature review.
- Plan and conduct empirical studies.
- Collect and analyze empirical data.
- Write up reports and research articles.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Interaction Design and Learning Technologies.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level.
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program .
- Excellent written and oral English skills. Applicants must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test).
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted).
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
- In extraordinary circumstances, formal documentation of language skills can be relinquished. In such cases the candidate’s language skills will be assessed in a personal interview.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- A solid knowledge on Human-Computer Interaction and Learning Technologies is essential, and a research-oriented master thesis within one of these or related areas is expected.
- Hands-on experience with conducting user studies; collecting, and analyzing data.
- A solid knowledge on quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Good programming skills.
- Experience with machine learning algorithms.
- Relevant experience as a research assistant in research projects.
- Published or submitted relevant research work.
Emphasis will be put on personal qualities and potential as a researcher. High importance will also be attached to personal communication and cooperation skills.
Potential successful candidate will be interviewed via Skype or other means.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in teams.
- Strong motivation to contribute to good working and social environment.
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 4 years with required duties or 3 years without duties.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Computer Science within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- One-page cover letter including your motivation and how your background would fit the position.
- Information about education and relevant experience (academic CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
- A short essay (up to 1000 words) describing their view of the main research challenges in interaction design and learning technologies.
- The master thesis and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly indicate the applicant's contribution.
- Names and contact information of at least two references.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here . If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
According to the Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Proessor Kshitij Sharma, email email@example.com , or the Head of the Department Professor Heri Ramampiaro, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI) .
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2021/38340 when applying.
Application deadline: 30.08.2021.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Computer Science
We are the leading academic IT environment in Norway, and offer a wide range of theoretical and applied IT programmes of study at all levels. Our subject areas include hardware, algorithms, visual computing, AI, databases, software engineering, information systems, learning technology, HCI, CSCW, IT operations and applied data processing. The Department has groups in both Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Computer Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Ph D Positions In Control System For Autonomous Marine Robot, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 3 hours ago
About the position The positions are for three years with the possibility of one-year extension for teaching assistant duties, and are connected to the ERC Advanced Grant Project Control of light ...
Ph D Position In Biotechnology, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
About the positions Two 3-year PhD fellowships are available at the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science, NTNU (Trondheim, Norway), with an expected start January 1st 2022. The fellowships...
Ph D Position Within Maritime Simulation And Pedagogical Method, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
About the position We have a vacant PhD position for research related to the topic: Becoming a professional through simulation-based training The announced PhD project is part of a larger research...
Ph D Position, Cybersecurity Barrier Management, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
About the position At the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology we have a vacancy for a PhD candidate in Integration of non-technical and technical cybersecurity barrier ...
Ph D Candidate In Co Design Of Oral Health Promoting Resources With And For Adolescents, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a PhD position (3 years) at the Department of Design (ID) at NTNU. The position is connected to the four-year project “ #Care4YoungTeeth<3” For a position ...
Ph D Candidate For Project Entire On Entrainment Of Oil In Breaking Waves, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
About the position We are looking for a motivated PhD candidate to join the exciting new project ENTIRE on entrainment of oil in breaking waves. When oil is spilled at sea, the interaction betwee...