12th June 2023
The Department of Engineering Cybernetics has a vacancy for a PhD scholarship
PhD Candidate in Navigation of Autonomous Systems
Apply for this job
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 43,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You will find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
About the job
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The position is part of a larger research project “Phased-array radio systems for resilient localization and navigation of autonomous systems in GNSS-denied environments (PARNAV)” that is funded by the Research Council of Norway.
Your immediate leader is Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Research on innovative navigation algorithms and integrated navigation systems based on phase-array radio technology and inertial sensors.
- Case studies and testing in drone, ship and robot control applications at NTNU and in collaboration with our industrial partners Nordic Semiconductor, Zeabuz, and AutoStore.
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Engineering Cybernetics, Control Engineering, Robotics, Signal Processing or similar.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master level.
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Master's students can apply, but the master's degree must be obtained and documented by end of 2023.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the doctoral program and the Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering at NTNU.
- The research of this project has civilian objectives. However, equipment restricted by export licenses and ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) is being used at NTNU’s laboratories in this research area. Applicants that are citizens of Norway, NATO countries, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, or Sweden are eligible. Other applicants should provide evidence of eligibility to use such equipment for their application to be considered.
- Good written and oral English skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Phd candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Specialization in navigation technology, in particular sensor fusion, radio navigation or inertial navigation.
- Specialization in robotics or autonomous systems.
- Programming skills, including embedded systems.
- Experience and interest for teamwork.
- Motivation for PhD.
- Good communication skills.
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 532 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years, or possibly 4 years if 25 % teaching duties are agreed.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Engineering Cybernetics (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phtk ) within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants , and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Name and contact information of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here . If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is our strength. We want to recruit people with different competencies, educational backgrounds, life experiences and perspectives to contribute to solving our social responsibilities within education and research. We will facilitate for our employees’ needs.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation . You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Torleiv H. Bryne, email email@example.com . If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Berit Dahl; firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 12.06.2023.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Engineering Cybernetics (ITK)
Engineering cybernetics is the study of automatic control and monitoring of dynamic systems. We develop the technologies of tomorrow through close cooperation with industry and academia, both in Norway and internationally. The Department contributes to the digitalization, automation and robotization of society. The Department of Engineering Cybernetics is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Apply for this job
12th June 2023
NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Fulltime (1 positions) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
Ph D Candidate At The Ntnu Vista Centre For Autonomous Robotic Operations Subsea, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 30 days ago
22 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Marine Technology Research Field Engineering » Other Researcher Profil...
Ph D Position On Thermonuclear Burning From Accreting Compact Objects, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 6 days ago
15 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Physics Research Field Physics » Other Researcher Profile First Stage ...
Ph D Candidate In The Area Of Edge Intelligence Design And Optimization, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 8 days ago
12 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Computer Science Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Pr...
Ph D Candidate In Global Health, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 13 days ago
8 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine (IKOM) Research Field Medical sciences ...
Ph D Position Within Cag Ibd Precision Medicine In Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 20 days ago
1 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department The Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine (IKOM) Research Field Medical scien...
Ph D Candidate In Machine Learning In Neurology, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 14 days ago
7 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science Research Field Neurosciences » Other...