The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and environment we live in.
The University of Luxembourg has the following vacancy in the Cancer Cell Biology Group (Prof. Dr. Daniel Abankwa) at the Department of Life Sciences and Medicine, Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine:
- Apply for a 4 year AFR PhD grant
The PhD student will work in the Cancer Cell Biology group under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Daniel Abankwa. The student will be associated with the doctoral programme in Systems and Molecular Biomedicine.
The Cancer Cell Biology group focuses on the most notorious oncogene RAS. Basically, all cancers display dysregulated RAS signaling. Our mission is to eRASe cancer (eRASeCancer.wordpress.com). We are particularly interested in:
- understanding mechanistically how specific RAS signaling complexes drive cancer.
- identifying Ras-associated targets for drug discovery.
- developing drugs that block Ras-driven tumorigenic processes.
We will employ a broad spectrum of techniques, including molecular cell biology, with application of quantitative fluorescence methods, protein-biochemistry and chemo-genetics approaches. We collaborate with highly regarded international research groups, as well as pharma/biotech companies in Europe and the US.
- Conduct self-driven experimental research in the area of RAS cancer cell biology and drug development
- Participation in the doctoral programme, preparation of thesis and research articles
- Opportunity to contribute to teaching
What we expect from you…
- Master’s degree related to life sciences (e.g. chemistry or biochemistry)
- Experience with cell culture, DNA and protein methods is desirable
- Curiosity, attention to detail, persistence and good organizational skills
- Excellent command of English
- Solid scientific training as a research professional in translational cancer research
- International, cutting-edge research environment on the brand new Belval campus
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month - extendable up to 48 months if required
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Starting in fall 2022
- Employee and student status
- Location: Belval
- Job Reference: UOL04586
How to apply...
Applications should include:
- Motivation letter (max. 0.5 page)
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 2 pages, highlighting any outstanding achievements)
- List of publications or manuscripts in preparation (if applicable)
- Copies of degree certificates and statement of courses and marks (“relevé de notes”)
Next to your overall motivation the motivation letter needs to contain: 1) Explanation of your overall self-assessment of academic achievements, e.g. top 10-20% in the country; 2) Expression of your theoretical strengths in chemistry, molecular biology and cell biology; 3) List of experimental skills acquired in internships or degree projects.
Please send your application as one merged PDF; we ensure a full considerations for applications received by 31/01/2022.
Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system. Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
- Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of the Greater Region” (UniGR).
- A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site with excellent infrastructure.
- A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Daniel Abankwa (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Ph D Student Molecular Pathology (Targeting Pro Tumorigenic Fibroblasts In Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer), The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
The research group of Dr. Julia Houthuijzen is dedicated to investigating the biology of stromal cells in the breast tumor microenvironment. We aim to understand the origin, heterogeneity and impa...
Ph D: Role Of The Cytoskeleton In Cell Membrane Electroporation And Cargo Translocation, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
New genome editing tools promise to repair cell functions at the source. However, they require the delivery of nucleic acids and/or gene editing enzymes directly into cells. Electroporation by tra...
Postdoc Position: Single Cell Regulatory Genomics Of Tumor Heterogeneity, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 2 days ago
(ref. BAP-2022-43) Laatst aangepast : 20/01/2022 The Laboratory of Computational Biology (www.aertslab.org) is looking for a postdoc to decipher gene regulatory networks in cancer, using a combina...
Postdoc Position 100% To Establish A Mammalian Intestinal Organoid System , University of Basel, Switzerland, 17 days ago
The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading life sciences institutes in the world. It consists of 30 groups and 500 employees that research how molecules and cells create life,...
Postdoc Position: Single Cell Regulatory Genomics Of Tumor Heterogeneity, VIB, Belgium, about 8 hours ago
Description The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences Institute and is embedded within the University of Leuven, which ranks among the world’s top 50 u...
Postdoctoral Position (M/F/D) In Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Germany, about 12 hours ago
We are offering a Postdoctoral Position (m/f/d) in Cell Biology. Job Description Specific targeting and endosomal escape still remain crucial hurdles for successful implementation of macromolecula...