The Section of Chemical Engineering (ChE), Department of Green Technology (IGT), University of Southern Denmark, (SDU) invites applications for a PhD position within the area of electrochemical energy conversion electrode component and process multi-scale imaging in the field of electrolyzers and fuel cells. The activity is part of Danish lighthouse project and center of excellence - SOLID with a strong consortium and clear vision to visualize the internal structure of hard materials, their creation and change in use with advanced imaging facilities, including X-rays and neutrons. The PhD project will be performed in collaboration with DTU Energy, Technical University of Denmark which also provides co-supervision of the PhD-student. The targeted starting date for the position will be agreed with the successful candidate.
The position offers a chance to share the expertise of ChE within the fields of metal catalyst, material synthesis and characterisation, electrochemistry, energy conversion and technical development on material sustainable and circular development.
For more information on SOLID and the partners visit: https://solid.dtu.dk/
For more information on the department please see: https://www.sdu.dk/en/om_sdu/institutter_centre/igt-green-technology
For more information in working at SDU and living in Odense please visit: https://www.sdu.dk/en/om_sdu/international_staff
A successful candidate will get a unique chance to participate in research and collaboration with the scientific as well as commercial communities in the field of electrochemical energy conversion electrode structure and transport phenomenon investigations.
The multi-scale (nano, sub-micro, micro) imaging studies using X-ray and/or neutrons to
- identify relevant materials and evaluate their properties
- capture and follow the overall matrix, where the materials are embedded
- in-situ study on liquid droplets or gas bobble formation and/or transport phenomenon in porous media
The focus will be on following activities:
It is preferred if the candidate has experiences and contributions within one or more of the following areas:
- Electrochemical energy conversion reactions (water electrolysis, CO2 reduction, N2 reduction, fuel cell etc.) and gas diffusion electrode preparation (catalyst selection, ink tuning, electrode printing, membrane electrode assembling, etc).
- Ex-situ / in-situ electrode property evaluation, operation and interpretation based on electrochemical performance, physiochemical property and imaging characterization.
- Experience in X-ray / neutron scattering/imaging, work at large scale X-ray/neutron facility and relevant data analysis
We offer an inspirational international research environment with excellent infrastructure including large scale facilities and strong collaborations with a vast international network, research organizations and commercial stakeholders. We offer a position from which to further develop the fundamental knowledge to provide insightful understanding and applicable solution.
The candidate shall have a MSc degree or equivalent in material science / chemistry / chemical engineering / physical chemistry /nanotechnology or similar field.
We are seeking a highly motivated, self-driven candidate, with outstanding research background and imaging experience, a proven record of publications in international peer reviewed journals and who communicates well in an international environment. The candidate must be able to carry out independent, systematic and rigorous research and engineering work, which is clearly aligned with the overall project activity.
Further information is available from
If you experience technical problems you must email@example.com
Conditions of employment
Applicants are required to have a master’s degree (equivalent to a Danish master's degree) at the time of enrollment and employment. Employment as a PhD fellow is a 3-year salaried position (start salary amounts to approx. 3.378,- EURO per month incl. supplements).
Employment of a PhD fellow can only happen after the Head of the PhD School has approved the candidate for admission to the PhD school. Employment and enrollment will cease without further notice at the end of the period.
A PhD fellow is not allowed to have any kind of sideline employment , while enrolled as PhD fellow at the faculty.
Employment is governed by the Protocol on PhD Research Fellows signed by the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Please check links for more information on salary and taxation .
The successful candidate will be enrolled at SDU in accordance with Faculty regulations and the Danish Ministerial Order on the PhD Programme at the Universities (PhD order), read more here .
The assessment process
Read about the Assessment and selection process . Shortlisting may be used.
The Faculty expects applicants to read the Faculty information for prospective PhD students and the SDU information on How to apply before applying.
The application deadline is 1st of February 2022.
The application must be in English and must include the following - the required forms must be found at the Faculty website :
- Completed TEK PhD application form for 5+3 applicants. Find the form at the Faculty website .
- Motivation letter including research statement. Upload in the field called “Project description”.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, describing research, publication and teaching experience, computational skills and including personal contact information.
- Verified copies of the official bachelor diploma and master's diploma and transcripts of exams, both original and translated into English.
- Completed TEK PhD form for calculation grade point average. Find the form at the Faculty website . Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official document describing the grading scheme of the awarding universities (if not Danish). Upload in one of the fields called “Publication”.
- An official and verified written assessment of the thesis or dissertation project from the grade giving institution, if the thesis/examination project is evaluated by approved/passed. The statement must clearly state that the candidate has been among the top 30 pct. in the graduation class for the study programme.
- List of publications and including full copies of the three most important representative publications. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication.
- A list of at least two references including contact details.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
Further information about The Faculty of Engineering.
Ph D Positions In Electrochemistry , NTNU, Norway, 3 days ago
This is NTNU NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim. A...
Ph D Student (Index No. 5423 00), Paul Scherrer Institut Villigen, Switzerland, 14 days ago
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, e...
Ph D Scholarship: Ubiquitin Signalling Mechanisms In Inflammatory Disease, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
A 3-year PhD Scholarship starting 1 May 2022 is available in the Ubiquitin Signalling and Inflammation Laboratory led by Associate Professor Rune Busk Damgaard. Our mission The mission in the Ubiq...
Ph D Project: Experimental And Computational Evaluation Of Solvation Phenomena In Electrolyte Solutions, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
A PhD position, starting April 1 2022 or as soon as possible after that, is available in the area of electrolyte thermodynamics. The duration of the position is three years. Solvation phenomena ar...
Ph D Scholarship In Tracking Of The Immune Response In Latent Infectious Diseases, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 7 days ago
A 3-year fully funded PhD position is available in the Disease Systems Immunology Group at DTU Bioengineering, Technical University of Denmark with focus on development of a single-cell pipeline t...
Postdoc Position In Ultrasound Enhanced Hydrogen Production, Aarhus University, Denmark, 11 days ago
Job description The Water Engineering Innovation (WEI) Lab at the Department of Biological and Chemical Engineering, Aarhus University, invites applications for a 29-month postdoc position offerin...