PhD Scholarships (2) in Computer Vision with Deep Learning for Human-Machine Collaboration – DTU Compute
Do you want to advance the state-of-the-art research in computer vision systems using human-machine collaboration? The Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and the Pioneer Centre for Artificial Intelligence invites applicants for two fully-funded 3-year PhD positions. The positions are funded by the Sapere Aude: DFF-Starting grant . The positions are offered at DTU, in the Department of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics, at the Visual Computing Group , and will work closely with researchers from the Pioneer Centre for AI .
Learning visual recognition models requires huge amounts of data, especially when relying on data-hungry deep neural networks. These data need to be manually and passively annotated by humans. This labeling procedure is one of the most important steps in a machine learning pipeline and is tedious, expensive, and susceptible to noise leading to erroneous labels. Our goal is to establish a deeper human-machine collaboration for all stages of the learning pipeline via two PhD projects:
- Project A: Human-machine labeling. In this project, you will first develop an active labeling and learning scheme where each step of the learning procedure is actively assisted by a learning algorithm. Then, you will advance the capabilities of current labeling schemes towards a deeper human-machine collaboration. This PhD project will be co-supervised by Associate Professor Dimitrios Papadopoulos (DTU) and Professor Serge Belongie (KU).
- Project B: Multimodal labeling and learning. The goal of this project is to leverage information from different modalities that naturally occur near web images to assist the image annotation. You will develop state-of-the-art multimodal models for self-supervision with human-in-the-loop text supervision. This PhD project will be supervised by Associate Professor Dimitrios Papadopoulos (DTU).
During the PhD program, you are expected to:
- Work with state-of-the-art deep learning computer vision models.
- Develop state-of-the-art models for human-machine collaboration in computer vision.
- Publish scientific papers and present research results in top computer vision conferences (CVPR, ECCV, ICCV).
- Spend a few months during the PhD program abroad.
- Work as a teaching assistant in courses at DTU.
Candidates should have the following required skills:
- A master’s degree (120 ECTS points) or a similar in Computer Science, Informatics, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics or equivalent.
- Proven experience in Python.
- Hands-on experience with deep learning frameworks.
- High level of motivation and innovation.
- Experience in computer vision is a plus.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English.
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes at DTU. For information about our enrolment requirements and the general planning of the PhD study programme, please see DTU's rules for the PhD education .
The assessment of the applicants will be made by Professors Dimitrios Papadopoulos (DTU) and Serge Belongie (KU).
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union. The positions are full-time positions. The period of employment is 3 years; start in summer 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here .
If you have questions, you are very welcome to contact Associate Professor Dimitrios Papadopoulos at email@example.com .
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark . Furthermore, you have the option of joining our monthly free seminar “PhD relocation to Denmark and startup “Zoom” seminar ” for all questions regarding the practical matters of moving to Denmark and working as a PhD at DTU.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 15 May 2023(Danish time). Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply now", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (Please indicate which position(s) you would like to apply for in your application (Project A, Project B, or both))
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma (in English) including official description of grading scale
Incomplete applications will not be considered. You may apply prior to obtaining your master's degree but cannot begin before having received it.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Compute is a unique and internationally recognized academic department with 385 employees and 11 research sections spanning the science disciplines mathematics, statistics, computer science, and engineering. We conduct research, teaching and innovation of high international standard – producing new knowledge and technology-based solutions to societal challenges. We have a long-term involvement in applied and interdisciplinary research, big data and data science, artificial intelligence (AI), internet of things (IoT), smart and secure societies, smart manufacturing, and life science. At DTU Compute we believe in a diverse workplace with a flexible work-life balance.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
Ph D Student In Data Driven Approach To Mental Health – Dtu Entrepreneurship, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 18 days ago
16 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Technical University of Denmark Department Centre for Technology Entrepreneurship Research Field Mathematics » Statistics Engineering » Other Resea...
Ph D Students In Data Science Dtu Biosustain, DTU, Denmark, 4 days ago
Digitalization and Data Science PhD positions (Multiple) The Novo Nordisk Foundation Centre for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain) together with the departments of Bioengineering, Compute and Chem...
Ph D Scholarship In Bioinformatics And Data Analysis, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark, 27 days ago
We are looking for a highly motivated computational student for a 3-year PhD position, to join the group of Associate Professor Kedar Natarajan from the 1 October 2022 or soon thereafter. Our grou...
Ph D Student In Data Driven Approach To Mental Health – Dtu Entrepreneurship , ; Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 17 days ago
DTU, The Technical University of Denmark , Centre for Technology Entrepreneurship invites applicants for a 3-year PhD position on “A data-driven approach to understand stress contagion”, starting...
Ph D Scholarship In I Ps Modelling Of Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark, 27 days ago
We are looking for a highly motivated computational PhD student for a 3-year position, to join the group of Associate Professor Kedar Natarajan from the 1 October 2022 or soon thereafter. Our grou...
Ph D Stipend In Large Area Nanostructured Substrates For Test Of Electrocatalysts, Aalborg University, Denmark, about 4 hours ago
The PhD position is one of the 9 PhD and 5 postdoc positions in the 2023CAPeX PhD and Postdoc cohort call. CAPeX is a 13-year and 300 MDKKPioneer Center forAccelerating P2X Materials Discovery, f...