Description of the host institution and research group
Are you a doctoral or post-doctoral researcher thinking about your next career move? KU Leuven – Europe’s most innovative university (Reuters) - allows you to work in a first-class research environment. KU Leuven is one of the top universities (42nd ) in the world according to the 2022 “Times Higher Education ” ranking and ranked 7th (1st in Europe) in the 2019 “World’s Most Innovative Universities ” ranking by Reuters.
The research group interfacial and surface engineering research (iR) led by Prof. Veerle Vandeginste is based in the beautiful city of Bruges (west Belgium). Our focus is on the development of new sustainable materials with advanced or smart properties for various applications (coatings, green energy, carbon utilization, electronics, wearables, etc.). The motivation behind our research is driven by the challenge of global warming and finite resources. Prof. Vandeginste has been an independent research fellow at Imperial College London (one of the top 10 universities in the world) and later an assistant/associate professor of chemistry at the University of Nottingham, UK (with multimillion project funding from European Commission, UK research councils and industry).
MSCA postdoctoral fellowship
Postdoctoral Fellowship (PFs) is the new initiative of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (formerly individual fellowship) from the European Commission. The objective of PFs is to support researchers’ careers and foster excellence in research. The Postdoctoral Fellowships action targets researchers holding a PhD who wish to carry out their research activities abroad, acquire new skills and develop their careers. PFs help researchers gain experience in other countries, disciplines and non-academic sectors.
There are 2 subtypes: European Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months of duration in Europe); and Global Postdoctoral Fellowships (12 to 24 months outside Europe –outgoing phase- plus 12 months in Europe - returning stage). The fellowship can be extended by up to 6 months placement at a company.
At the deadline for the submission of the final application to MSCA (expected to be in September 2022), researchers:
• Shall be in possession of a doctoral degree, applicants who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply
• Must not have resided or carried out their main activities in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the above-mentioned deadline.
• For European Postdoctoral Fellowships, candidates with any nationality are eligible. For Global Postdoctoral Fellowship, candidates must be nationals or long-term residents of the EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries
• Must have a maximum of eight years experience in research, from the date of the award of their PhD degree, years of experience outside research and career breaks will not count towards the above maximum, nor will years of experience in research in third countries, for nationals or long-term residents of EU Member States or Horizon Europe Associated Countries who wish to reintegrate to Europe
• Highly motivated and excellent research track record through publications in the relevant field
• Must be fluent in English (both written and spoken)
Lithium-ion batteries are currently the most widely used rechargeable batteries, but they present some challenges in terms of safety, the expected increasing cost and dwindling raw natural resources and geopolitical risk. Moreover, the conventional rigid battery systems do not serve applications of wearables. To supply power for wearable electronics, the systems should be flexible, stretchable and safe, which is not compatible with the conventional stacking-cell design of lithium-ion batteries. Zinc-ion batteries present a promising alternative battery technology because of its safe, non-combustivle, low-cost, environment-friendly aspects with abundant natural resources, and they can have flexible features when used with (bio-based) polymer gel electrolytes. The high volumetric capacity of zinc could provide a relatively high capacity of complete battery cells. Still, we welcome also other ideas for alternative eco-friendly low-cost battery technologies.
Do you have a solid background in flexible solid-state battery technology during your PhD? Then let’s work together to solve this issue.
EU supports for the recruited researcher in the form of
- A living allowance
- A mobility allowance
- If applicable, family, long-term leave and special needs allowances
- Research, training and networking activities
- Management and indirect costs
- Gross salary of about € 60,000 (depending on family status)
KU Leuven supports the recruited researcher with
- Personalised support in research proposal writing and application
- State of the art research infrastructure
How to apply
Are you interested in tackling one or more challenges mentioned in the project description, please send your application to Prof. Veerle Vandeginste (firstname.lastname@example.org ), including your CV, letter of motivation and a short research proposal (max. 3 pages) before 23 May 2022. Please write “MSCA-PF application” as the subject of the email. The deadline for the MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship application is expected to be in September 2022.
Ph D Position To Study Neural Circuits Of Sensory Selection, VIB, Belgium, about 7 hours ago
PhD student position in the Vision-to-Action Laboratory will be supervised by Asli Ayaz and Vincent Bonin, at Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders in Leuven, Belgium, (NERF, www.nerf.be). Descripti...
Ph D Position In Heterogeneous Catalysis For Co2 Conversion, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 18 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2022-607) Laatst aangepast : 12/08/2022 KU Leuven is highly innovative, stimulating, and unique place to do research. According to Reuters, KU Leuven is N°5 on the 'Reuters Top 100: The...
Ph D Studentship On Cancer Immunology & Immunotherapy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 20 days ago
(ref. BAP-2022-556) Laatst aangepast : 18/07/2022 The Laboratory for Cell Stress & Immunity, at KU Leuven, Belgium seeks a highly motivated PhD student Broad Research Topic: Next-generation immune...
Ph D Scholarship µflow Cell, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, about 2 hours ago
The Faculty of Engineering, Department Chemische ingenieurstechnieken en industriële scheikunde, is looking for a PhD-student with a doctoral grant. More concretely your work package, for the prep...
Ph D Student On Synthesis Of Battery Electrodes, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
Do you want to combat climate change? Are you fascinated by electrochemistry and polymer science? Do you want to work in a multidisciplinary team? Would you like to develop large-scale batteri...
Ph D Student, Ghent University, Belgium, 14 days ago
Job description In the interdisciplinary project entitled ‘IMAGIBRAINDD: IMAGIng-assisted human BRAIn organoid engineering for studying and treating NeuroDevelopmental Disorders (NDDs)’, Prof. Ver...