Department: Department of Biomedical Sciences
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES in the Faculty of FBD is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of COGNITIVE GENETICS
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in our Center for Medical Genetics in the research group Cognitive Genetics on(epi)genetic factors involved in resistance to stress, also called resilience. We will study transmission of stress resilience between mother, father and child, to identify (epi)genetic factors contributing to resilience transmission in 500 families with children aged between 10 and 12 years. The project is part of a large Belgian consortium financed in the framework of the Belgian Excellence of Science (EOS) program. Our data will be combined with physiological and psychological data collected from the same families by our EOS partners to come to an integrated model of stress resilience and transmission. The project aims to expand our understanding of resilience and strategies to support families’ resilience in the face of distress. You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Department.
- You hold a Master degree in biomedical sciences, biochemistry, bio-engineering (cell and gene biotechnology) or another equal degree
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation
- You are flexible, accurate, precise, stress-resistant and you have good oral and writing skills in English
- You have good organizational skills and you like to work in a team
- You have a very good understanding of molecular biology and (epi)genetics.
- Experience with cell cultures is a plus
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of 4 years
- The preferred start date is 1 February 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at the campus 3 eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 15 December 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include a motivation letter and your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. dr. Frank Kooy (Frank.Kooy@uantwerpen.be . The TRIAD project is granted in the framework of the Belgian Excellence of Science (EOS) program of FWO-FNRS. For more information on the project, see https://www.triadic-resilience-eos.be/
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Ph D Position In Bioinformatics , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, about 22 hours ago
The Institute of Molecular Medicine (IMM) at SDU PhD position in Bioinformatics Institute of Molecular Medicine (IMM) aims to generate new knowledge on the function of the human body and disease m...
Ph D In Quantitative Cell And Developmental Biology, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science / the Institute for Biology is looking for a : PhD in Quantitative Cell and Developmental Biology Vacancy number: 23-006 Key responsibilities The PhD project will ...
Ph D Position For Synthetic Biology Inspired Therapies , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 2 days ago
100%, Basel, fixed-term The Biotechnology and Bioengineering group directed by Prof. Martin Fussenegger at the Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering (D-BSSE), in Basel is recruiting a P...
Studies In Infectious Diseases (Scholarship, Undergraduate And Graduate Level Education), Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 19 days ago
The Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching within immunology, infection biology, cell biology and cancer. MTC have about 4...
Ph D Position Super Resolution Visualisation And Control Of Cellular Dynamics, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Would you like to contribute to groundbreaking research on establishing microscopy-guided automated real-time control of biological processes, as a PhD candidate? Then this might be the vacancy fo...
Ph D Position Next Generation Opto Mechanical Microchips To Analyse Cell Biomechanics, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 16 days ago
Help drive medical advances through next-gen cell analysis by developing high-precision opto-mechanical microchips as a PhD candidate at TU Delft. Challenge: Realize next-gen instruments to unrave...