Department: Department of Communication Studies
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Communication Studies in the Faculty of Social Sciences is looking for a fulltime doctoral scholarship holder in the field of boredom and smartphone use.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis boredom and smartphone use. You will study: a) the psychophysiological processes that underlie the experience of boredom, b) the effect of boredom on smartphone use (e.g. which contents/applications do people select?), c) the impact of smartphone use on boredom (was the attempt to regulate boredom successful or not?).
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Department of Communication Studies and the Research Group MIOS.
- You hold a Master degree in Communication Science or Psychology or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results (minimal “distinction” in you Master).
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have a deep interest in (and experience with) new communication technologies and quantitative methods (surveys and experimental studies) . You have experience with, or are willing to develop skills to conduct, psychophysiological research within the domain of communication science.
- You are highly proficient in spoken and written English.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 9 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your CV and a sample of your academic writing (e.g. the Master thesis, an academic article, …you wrote).
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Heidi Vandebosch (Heidi.email@example.com ) or Prof. Karolien Poels (Karolien.Poels@uantwerpen.be ).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Postdoctoral Scholarship Holder Aquatic Ecotoxicology, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 11 days ago
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 student...
Eroad Scholarship For Māori And Pacific Students The University Of Auckland, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, about 2 hours ago
A Scholarship of up to $8,000 to encourage Māori and Pacific students enrolled in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems or Software Engineering. About the scholarship Application sta...
Ph D Candidate 'Al Powered Handheld Ultrasound For Prenatal Diagnosis', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 7 days ago
Every day more than 800 women die as a consequence of their pregnancy, of which the vast majority occur in low-income countries. Ultrasound imaging can be used to detect maternal risk factors and ...
Department Of Physics Scholarship The University Of Auckland, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, 24 days ago
A Scholarship of up to $6,000 to support part-time and full-time BAdvSci(Hons), BSc, BSc(Hons) and MSc students in Physics, Environmental Physics, Photonics or Medical Physics and Imaging Technolo...
Department Of Physics Scholarship The University Of Auckland, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2 days ago
A Scholarship of up to $6,000 to support part-time and full-time BAdvSci(Hons), BSc, BSc(Hons) and MSc students in Physics, Applied Physics, Environmental Physics, Photonics or Medical Physics and...
Opie & Bridge Vocal Scholarship The University Of Auckland, The University of Auckland, New Zealand, about 2 hours ago
About the scholarship Application status: Not currently open for applications Applicable study: BMus(Hons) and MMus in Vocal studies Opening date: TBC Closing date: TBC Tenure: One year For: Ass...