Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation.
- Bird Conservancy of the Rockies
- Fort Collins, CO (with flexible telework as agreed upon with supervisor)
- Job Category
- Full time Positions
- $75-85K Commensurate with experience
- Start Date
- Last Date to Apply
- About the Organization: Bird Conservancy of the Rockies (BCR) is a 501-c(3) non-profit headquartered at the Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park with a satellite office in Fort Collins and fieldwork outposts in the Great Plains Region. BCR conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of Science, Education and Stewardship. Our work radiates from the Rockies to the Great Plains, Mexico and beyond. Position Overview: Bird Conservancy is seeking a dynamic and visionary leader to oversee the management, implementation, and strategic growth of our Stewardship program. The Stewardship Director collaboratively works with state agencies, joint ventures, foundations, and the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service to implement private landsconservation across the Great Plains and Intermountain West. Specifically, the program aims to create a community of practice that simultaneously improves human well-being and wildlife habitat on working lands through proactive, voluntary conservation delivery. The Stewardship team consists of 3 program managers in Fort Collins and 15 Private lands wildlife biologists housed in Natural Resource Conservation Service offices in Colorado, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, and New Mexico. Qualified applicants will have a background in natural resource and or wildlife management, experience overseeing large-scale programmatic implementation, leadership and supervisory experience, and collaborative conservation. Desired qualifications include a successful track record of grant making as well as experience with Farm Bill conservation programs and voluntary conservation on private lands. The Stewardship Director will be based in Fort Collins, CO but allow for flexible telework as agreed upon with supervisor. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: ● Provide coaching, mentoring, vision, and leadership for the organization ● Provide management, leadership, and financial oversight of Stewardship program: timely completion of project deliverables, contract oversight, budgeting, reviewing proposals, grants and manuscripts ● Communicate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to promote “on the ground” conservation delivery, including serving on committees, boards and working groups as agreed upon by Executive Leadership ●Provide strategic oversight of existing stewardship program and development of new program areas, including integration with other core Bird Conservancy program areas ●Guide program growth through partnership network, grant writing, and development activities
- Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted): ● Working knowledge of Farm Bill Conservation Programs and/or experience with habitat restoration practices and voluntary conservation efforts on private lands ● Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a conservation related field (Natural Resource Management, Wildlife Ecology, Human Dimensions) or equivalent experience ● 3-5 years’ experience supervising staff with direct reports ● Experience with total life cycle of government grants and contracts ● Advanced knowledge of wildlife and natural resource management, and rangeland ecology strongly preferred ● Knowledge of non-profit standard business practices preferred ● Proven track record in building and maintaining partnerships with broad spectrum of stakeholders ● Strong communication skills both written and verbal along with excellent interpersonal skills ● Working knowledge of the flora and fauna of the Great Plains and Intermountain West ● Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple deadlines ● Flexibility to work occasional evenings, weekends, overnights ● Willingness to travel locally, regionally, and potentially internationally ● Proficient in Microsoft Office and ESRI ArcGIS Physical Demands / Work Environment: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. ● Ability to work in a standard office setting, with considerable sitting, standing, and viewing of computer. ● Mid-level stress. ● Requires reaching continually throughout the workday (mouse, keyboard, telephone). ● May include lifting up to thirty (30) pounds of project gear on an infrequent basis. Proper lifting techniques required. ● Able to stand, walk, and hike for extended periods of time outside in all weather Material and Equipment Directly Used: ● Standard office equipment (e.g., laptop, printers); PC with MS Office software applications. ● Various habitat restoration and enhancement materials (e.g., stock tank ladders, fence markers) ● Navigate to field sites and record data using GPS, smartphones, tablets, or other technology Equal Opportunity Employer: Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is a bias-conscious employer. We ask that you please avoid the use of photos when submitting a resume and/or an application for employment. You will receive an email acknowledgment when you have successfully applied. Your completed application will be forwarded to the hiring manager. You will be notified if you are selected for further testing or interviews. Post-offer background check required. Studies have shown that underrepresented groups, including women and people of color, are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job from diverse backgrounds and with attention to lived experience. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies will consider an equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions for which they have applied without regard to gender identity or gender expression, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or other characteristics protected by law. For the purpose of Bird Conservancy’s policy, “sexual orientation” means a person’s actual or perceived orientation toward heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies will make special communication arrangements for persons with disabilities. Please call (303) 659-4348 for assistance. COVID-19 Policy: Bird Conservancy is committed to protecting and enhancing the welfare of its employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a condition of employment, all newly hired employees must provide to Bird Conservancy’s human resources representative either proof of full vaccination at employment start date or agree in written form to weekly testing until further notice. Any proof of vaccination or weekly test results submitted to Bird Conservancy will remain confidential. To Apply: Please submit your cover letter, resume and contacts for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Stewardship Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Preference will be given to those applications submitted before December 31st, 2022.
- Contact Person
- Chief Conservation Scientist
- Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink .
Comments are closed.
Technical/Wildlife Lead Fort Collins, Colorado, Colorado State University, United States, about 16 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Technical/Wildlife Lead - Fort Collins, Colorado Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position is fully in-office/in-person Res...
Geospatial Data And Analysis Program Manager, Colorado State University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Geospatial Data and Analysis Program Manager Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position qualifies for hybrid/in-office work ...
Assistant Professor In Human Dimensions Of Natural Resources, Colorado State University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Assistant Professor in Human Dimensions of Natural Resources Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position is fully in-office/i...
Assistant Professor Specializing In Natural Resource Biometry And Measurement, Colorado State University, United States, about 16 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Assistant Professor specializing in Natural Resource Biometry and Measurement Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position is ...
Adaptive Horsemanship Instructor, Colorado State University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Position Information Classification Title Temporary Hourly Employment Category Temporary Is this an Hourly position? Yes Work Hours/Week 30-40 Overtime Eligible? Yes Position Locat...
Associate Professor Small Animal Reproduction, Colorado State University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Associate Professor - Small Animal Reproduction Position Location Fort Collins, CO Work Location Position is fully in-office/in-person Post...