Harvard University Press
Acquires new titles in science and technology for Harvard University Press.
Harvard University Press seeks an entrepreneurial, experienced Senior Editor to acquire 15-20 new books each year in science and technology. Reporting to the Editorial Director, the Senior Editor will build a strong list of books on topics of interest to both professionals and the general public, across a wide range of basic and applied sciences, and technology.
The Senior Editor for Science and Technology closely monitors innovative research by establishing contacts with scholars, journalists, and other experts, reading widely and deeply in the literature, attending professional conferences, and traveling to campuses throughout the United States. He or she maintains a network of prospective authors, along with agents and other publishing professionals, commissions new works of broad appeal and significance; and selectively solicits and evaluates proposals for trade books, professional books, and cutting-edge research monographs.
The Senior Editor for Science and Technology negotiates contracts, sends manuscripts for peer review; works closely with authors to ensure that manuscripts are well written and contractual obligations are met, writes fact sheets and design briefs, present new books at the marketing launch meeting, and to the Press’s faculty board.
Undergraduate degree required, plus 8 years of publishing experience, including five years of book-acquisition experience in the physical or life sciences, technology, engineering, or medicine. Other relevant qualifications such as academic or institutional appointments will be considered.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
Advanced degree in a related STEM field is strongly preferred.
Harvard University supports a hybrid workplace model which will actively support some remote work. Specific days and schedules for on-site work and remote work will be discussed during the interview process. Please note hybrid workers must reside in a state where Harvard is registered to do business (CA, CT, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VA, VT, and WA).
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up to date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
CM0059 Managing Editor III
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Full time. Monday through Friday. 35 hours per week.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Assistant Professor, Department Of Immunology, Harvard Medical School, Vanderbilt University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Posted by hagansa2 on Tuesday, August 29, 2023 in Job Opportunities . The Department of Immunology at Harvard Medical School invites applications for a tenure- track positio...
Team Lead (Research Enhancement)/ Supervisory Research Enhancement Editor/ Research Enhancement Editor , ;, Hong Kong, 3 days ago
City University of Hong Kong is a dynamic, fast-growing university that is pursuing excellence in research and professional education. As a publicly funded institution, the University is committed...
Director, Digital Strategy Emory Communications And Marketing, Emory University, United States, 9 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Digital Video Editor Ii, Villanova University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Posting Details Do you have questions about the application process? If so, please refer to the Applicant FAQ’s. Position Information Posting Number: 20234799V Position Title: Digital Video Editor...
Ca' Foscari University Of Venice:Gendering International Legal Response To Chronic Emergencies (Gen R Em), UNIVERSITA' CA' FOSCARI VENEZIA, Italy, 18 days ago
2 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITA' CA' FOSCARI VENEZIA Research Field Juridical sciences » International law Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Leading Research...
Instructional Video Editor, Library / 图书馆教育视频剪辑师, New York University, United States, 23 days ago
NYU Shanghai Library is seeking an enthusiastic Instructional Video Editor to join our Research and Instructional Technology Services (RITS) unit. Embedded in the NYU Shanghai Library, this unit s...