The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
At the University of Washington, diversity is integral to excellence. We value and honor diverse experiences and perspectives, strive to create welcoming and respectful learning environments, and promote access, opportunity and justice for all.
The Vice Provost of Academic and Student Affairs (ASA) oversees the work of teams focused on pilot and project support, advancement, the Center for Teaching and Learning, Learning Technologies, Classroom Technology & Events, and Enrollment Management with the mission of enhancing the student experience for all students, inside and outside the classroom. ASA's goals include supporting faculty excellence and innovation in teaching and learning; promoting access, engagement, and success of a diverse student body; and creating graduate leaders in life and career.
Academic Technologies (AT), a unit of the office of Academic & Student Affairs, is the campus leader in the design and integration of technologies in state-of-the-art learning environments. AT offers a full range of audio-visual and learning space design expertise to the UW community, and works with students, faculty, and staff to enhance learning spaces with new technologies aimed at improving student-learning outcomes. AT supports instruction in more than 300 general-use classrooms, and its student equipment loan program gives UW Seattle students access to modern multimedia and computing equipment. Its Events Services group offers facilities that accommodate a wide range of events, hosting hundreds each year.
The purpose of this position is to provide professional audiovisual system design, programming, project management, sales engineering, consulting, technical support, account management and customer service to the Seattle campus community of instructional faculty, research faculty, staff and students, and campus stakeholders. This position requires experience in audiovisual system design, programming, integration, project management and technical support. Candidates must demonstrate a working knowledge of C and C# programming, as well as familiarity with both procedural and object oriented programming best practices. Candidates also will have experience completing technical installation of Crestron DM and Video over IP distribution systems, digital audio processing systems, audiovisual systems, equipment rack fabrication, site preparation, termination and calibration of audio and video equipment, and implementation of Crestron control systems, including code debugging. Ability to troubleshoot audiovisual system signal flow, complex audio, video, switching and control systems is required.
This position provides systems consulting, project management and technology integration services on a variety of infrastructure projects ranging from large construction projects to smaller private space renovation projects. This position evaluates existing campus infrastructure conditions, documents findings, provides cost estimates, and may direct the work of project contractors. The position will review construction drawings, comment, interpret and provide direction on AV/IT infrastructure policy and guidelines, assuring compliance with N.E.C. code as pertains to signal and power wiring, applicable building codes, industry standards, and best practices. He/she will analyze issues related to UW campus and off-campus facilities, AV/IT distribution networks and installations, including costs, changes in technologies, and evaluation of appropriate distribution products.
This position will be responsible for designing, programming, project management, and installation and/or overseeing the installation of:
• Networked AV and room control systems;
• Low voltage lighting control systems;
• Computer presentation technologies;
• Professional audio, video, computer, and hybrid-flexible (or HyFlex) AV solutions;
• Active learning classrooms, learning spaces and lecture halls;
• Data HD projection systems for laptop and desktop computer display;
• Auditorium sound reinforcement;
• LCD flat-panel displays, video walls and digital signage;
• Conference rooms, executive boardrooms and huddle spaces; and
• Other technologies found used in UW Seattle campus general use classrooms, presentation spaces and conference rooms.
This position provides systems consulting, project management and technology integration services on a variety of infrastructure projects ranging from large construction projects to smaller private space renovation projects. This position evaluates existing campus infrastructure conditions, documents findings, provides cost estimates, and may direct the work of project contractors. The position will review construction drawings, comment, interpret and provide direction on AV/IT infrastructure policy and guidelines, assuring compliance with N.E.C. code as pertains to signal and power wiring, applicable building codes, industry standards, and best practices. This position will analyze issues related to UW campus and off-campus facilities, AV/IT distribution networks and installations, including costs, changes in technologies, and evaluation of appropriate distribution products.
This position will be responsible for:
• Providing professional audiovisual system design, programming, integration, project management, sales engineering, consulting, software engineering, technical support, account management and customer service to the Seattle campus community of instructional faculty, research faculty, staff and students and campus visitors in formal and informal classroom settings in various locations across the Seattle campus.
• Collaborating with architectural and engineering teams using formats that are common and standard in the construction industry, and having a strong understanding of the construction process.
• Creating system design specifications to be included in build documentation for distribution to contractors and installers.
• Evaluating a variety of systems and equipment to meet project requirements.
• Reviewing customer proposals and internal requirements in-depth and working with broader teams to drive toward cost effective solutions.
• Preparing detailed design proposals and supporting the integration team.
• Collaborating and supporting engineers, designers, and installers to create and implement effective solutions as they pertain to the audio-visual support systems.
• Supporting key relationships with vendors and internal design teams to help plan component and product strategies based on future technologies and content requirements.
• Utilizing project management methodologies and assisting with all phases of project management.
• Configuring, programming and providing operational support for systems requiring remote network, or in-room interfaces (e.g., Biamp Audio, Crestron Audio/Video switching and processing Systems).
• Designing, developing, installing, documenting, analyzing, creating, testing, or modifying network-based computer systems, hardware, and their associated programs to meet system design specifications; programming, installing, and upgrading Audio DSP platforms.
• Programming, installing and upgrading Crestron control system platforms.
• Programming and interfacing with new or existing low voltage lighting, fire signal systems and HVAC controls.
• Employing systems analysis techniques and procedures to determine functional specifications for the development and programming of systems software, databases, digital media recording and streaming systems, and networked communication equipment in integrated AV learning environments.
• Troubleshooting of complex audio, video, switching, control system and equipment problems. Providing root cause analysis and problem resolution.
• Working on team prototyping initiatives to create technology solutions.
• Working as part of a team in support of on-demand audio and video services, lecture capture, event recording, post production operations, and web delivery of digital content.
• Installing and testing approved network hardware, applications and upgrades;
• Managing software licenses and hardware assets.
• Administering network/computer accounts.
• Creating and updating technical documentation including, on-line help, configuration documents and support workflows.
• Developing and conducting training programs for technical staff and researching available training sources for appropriate content and method information.
• Providing leadership and guidance to junior team members.
This position requires high-level Crestron programming experience, and fluency in Crestron Fusion enterprise building management software and other facilities automation / management systems for monitoring, logging, alerts, metrics, analytics, and report generation. This position also requires working knowledge of Crestron SIMPL+, SIMPL#, SIMPL# Pro, C and C#, and high-level knowledge of network-based AV transmission protocols, IP address and subnet configuration, and network security.
Duties and Responsibilities:
AV Design / Sales Engineering / Consulting
Provide information and advice regarding audiovisual systems, technical products, and services and offer guidance during pre-sales discussions. Provide expertise and guidance in the evaluation and determination of customized and configured hardware/software products, software solutions, internet-based solutions or other systems solutions to fit customer requirements. Analyze, and deliver recommendations for products and solutions. Define specifications and plan the delivery and implementation of products and solutions to work efficiently with customer’s infrastructure. Create audio-visual project designs, drawings, schedules, budgets, estimates, and equipment selections that meet customer and stakeholder functional and budgetary requirements. Create equipment lists; rack and console elevations; conceptual and detailed audio, video, and control diagrams; and patch panel, custom I/O panel layouts, AutoCAD drawings and system documentation. Create bill of materials for job purchasing, arrange for the procurement of equipment for installation. Specify projectors, screens, audio DSP systems, sound reinforcement systems, video overflow systems, control systems, teleconference equipment and software required for custom integration solutions. Provide continuous engineering support throughout the project, from inception through implementation. Attend construction meetings and interface with designers, consultants, vendors, general contractors, electrical contractors and other partners. Support the systems installation crew. Provide high-level technical support to other technicians attempting to diagnose, troubleshoot, repair and debug complex equipment and systems. Configure systems and equipment. Assist with final system testing, client training and ongoing system support.
AV Project Management
Conduct needs assessments with faculty, staff, administrators and project stakeholders; participate in planning and design phases for the integration of technology systems. Assist in establishing technology requirements for new and existing classrooms and private spaces to ensure successful implementation of new or upgraded systems. Review contract documents including, but not limited to: bid drawings and specifications, contract, project workbook, subcontractor scopes of work, and construction schedule. Develop and communicate scope of work, project timeline, system design, and budget for projects to lead installer / install team, management and client. Coordinate all in-house activities associated with project execution, including but not limited to submittals, engineering, fabrication and installation, programming, commissioning, testing and troubleshooting. Coordinate with vendors, trades, departments, management and clients to ensure smooth workflow. Create and manage the project schedule. Function as the focal point for internal and external project communication and documentation. Coordinate activities with general contractor, construction manager, owner and other trades as required. Generate and/or respond to construction communication including, but not limited to: requests for information, change order documents, delay or compression notifications, warranty information, material hand off or inventory, punch lists, field reports, sign-off documents or other documentation as assigned or required. Proactively manage the change order process. Coordinate turn-over of project to department at the end of each project.
Control system-programming support for a variety of audiovisual (AV) projects. Interpret AV Signal drawings and Scope of Work to reasonably assume function and user experience of an AV system. Write source code for commercial Audio/Video systems and hardware. Program Audio DSP platforms (Examples: Biamp); program control system platforms (Examples: Crestron); Program interface for new or existing low voltage lighting, fire alarm, shades and automated controls; program, configure and provide support for systems requiring remote network, or in-room, interface (e.g., Biamp Audio DSP,, Crestron Audio/Video Processing Systems, Audio/Video switching and processing systems). Create touch panel interfaces. Create GUI and develop a user experience in line with IES standards and project scope of work. Test systems for expected functionality and resolve any issues. Work with install and maintenance teams, offering remote support for uploading and testing code and AV systems.
Design and develop software applications for new products or product enhancements. Develop code to meet requirements and specifications of application. Perform testing, troubleshooting and debugging of applications throughout the development process. Investigate emerging technologies, identifies new product opportunities and establishes parameters for product direction and design.
Maintain ongoing business relationships with key clients and customers in order to preserve a productive long-term relationship. Work to resolve any issues or concerns and ensure customer satisfaction. May be involved in drafting agreements, add-on sales, upgrades or up-selling of existing accounts.
Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer and Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or comparable degree or equivalent experience in the AV/IT industry
• 3+ years’ experience in control system design and AV systems engineering;
• Crestron Intermediate Systems Programming course completion, familiarity with Crestron’s SIMPL Windows programming environment;
• Knowledge/experience with commercial installation in the AV/IT industry or related field;
• Knowledge/experience providing technical or engineering support in the AV/IT industry;
• Knowledge/experience integrating large scale audio visual systems;
• Knowledge/experience with one or more of the following control/automation systems: Crestron, AMX, Extron;
• Knowledge/experience of signal flow, audio visual signal types, connector types & terminations;
• Ability to read & understand cabling pull schedules, floor plans, ceiling plans, riser diagrams & line diagrams;
• Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive project plan;
• Ability to organize and moderate in person project meetings as well as audio/video conferences with project stakeholders on a regular basis;
• Able to occasionally climb ladders and scaffolding, mobility including walking, sitting, driving, lifting and carrying, standing, kneeling and crouching for long periods of time;
• Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills, presentation skills, technical documentation skills, user liaison skills, and personal interaction abilities;
• Must demonstrate professionalism and skills to represent the University at conferences and in public;
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision both independently and as part of a team, and to be self-directed;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interpret and share technology issues with colleagues and to work collaboratively and independently with students, staff, faculty, librarians, and administrators in a variety of tasks and settings;
• Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to take the initiative to solve problems, assume responsibility, and establish and maintain quality standards. Also must have high level of organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to multitask, and the ability to meet deadlines and to complete assigned tasks;
• Excellent leadership and teamwork skills;
• Knowledge of accessibility issues for users with disabilities; familiarity with accessibility standards and best practices; experience testing for accessibility; and demonstrated ability to design content/applications with accessibility considerations.
• Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills, technical documentation skills, user liaison skills, and personal interaction abilities.
• 2+ years' AutoCAD or Visio experience.
• Expert-level knowledge/experience with digital video/audio transmission and protocols;
• Prior Experience with Commercial Construction;
• A high level of attention to detail, ability to create policy and technical documents, and communicate in a demand-based, service-oriented environment;
• Work sites vary from finished executive boardrooms to new construction sites resulting in site conditions varying drastically. Appropriate dress is required.
• Certified Technology Specialist ? Design (CTS-D) or Certified Technology Specialist ? Installation (CTS-I);
• Knowledge/experience with audio DSP and related programming;
• Knowledge of network-based AV transmission protocols, IP address and subnet configuration, and network security;
• Demonstrated ability to analyze work processes and introduce appropriate technological solutions for greater efficiency of operations;
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter, and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Riparian Habitat Program Assistant: Renton, Wa, King Conservation District, United States, 8 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyKing Conservation DistrictLocationRenton, WAJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalaryPay: $42,343.00 - $52,928.0...
Stem Development Program Coordinator, Applied Physics Laboratory - UW, United States, 9 days ago
The Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) at the University of Washington is hiring a STEM Development Program Coordinator – see yourself at APL! APL is a research unit at the University of Washington....
Evaluation Specialist: Seattle, Washington, Woodland Park Zoo, United States, 18 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyWoodland Park ZooLocationSeattle, WashingtonJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$68,000 annually plus benef...
Special Assistant For Federal Affairs (Exempt): Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia Area, Puget Sound Partnership, United States, 11 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyPuget Sound PartnershipLocationSeattle, Tacoma, Olympia AreaJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$95,713.00 ...
Beginning Bird Bander Training: Edmond’s/Shoreline, Seattle, Puget Sound Bird Observatory, United States, 27 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyPuget Sound Bird ObservatoryLocationEdmonds/Shoreline, SeattleJob CategoryTrainingSalaryn/aLast Date to Appl...
Program Instructor – Seattle, YMCA Earth Service Corps, United States, 22 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyYMCA Earth Service CorpsLocationSeattle, WAJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$2066.86 stipend/mo, $6895 E...