As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Care exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. University of Utah Health Care seeks staff that are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission. EO/AA
This position is responsible for managing the procurement of supplies and equipment, and the management of in-house products and inventory. The incumbent facilitates the smooth operation of materials management by analyzing the process and providing input to improve the current system.
This position is not responsible for providing care to patients.
- Meets with the area of assignment to identify equipment needs. May work with the Clinical Nurse Managers directly to provide input regarding their inventory, ordering and the rapidly changing product issues.
- Obtains quotes and bids for the purchase of identified needs and performs cost analyses.
- Meets with state auditors to verify purchased items, as requested.
- Coordinates and supervises fiscal year inventory procedures. Audits inventory levels and recommends improvements that are cost-effective.
- Reviews and expedites campus orders, requisitions, and capital equipment requisitions. Works with the Accounting Department in order to resolve invoice discrepancies and issue payment for services received.
- Monitors vendor activity and resolves any issues which may arise.
- Acts as a resource for departmental computer concerns. Makes file corrections, additions and deletions in collaboration with the systems administrator.
- Performs analyses of depreciation, usage history, maintenance costs, and purchase price for determining patient costs for use of capital equipment.
- Monitors the accuracy of the central price codes and revises and deletes codes when appropriate.
- Reviews monthly financial statements to ascertain the appropriate use of budgeted dollars by monitoring the correct use of balances within object codes and reports and discrepancies.
- Assists in the budget process by providing information on the current spending needs based upon current practices, upgrades in technology, and proposed vendor cost increases.
- Acts as a contact person with the Purchasing Department to assure compliance with hospital buying procedures.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Demonstrated potential ability to perform the essential functions as outlined above.
- Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills.
- Ability to negotiate.
- Ability to determine and maintain appropriate inventory levels.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, a related area, or equivalency.
- Three years of experience in product and materials management, or equivalency.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Employee must be able to meet the following requirements with or without an accommodation.
- This is a sedentary position in an office setting that may exert up to 10 pounds and may lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. This position involves sitting most of the time and is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Lifting, Pulling and/or Pushing, Sitting, Standing, Stooping and Crouching, Walking