Thank you for your interest. Please note, the purpose of this position is to recruit for on-going and future positions.
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Use comprehensive knowledge to accurately perform and evaluate highly complex laboratory testing in an efficient manner. Demonstrate behavioral skills that contribute to a productive work environment and provide excellent customer service. Performs all technical procedures and other tests in the Flow Cytometry and Bone Marrow Laboratories in order to provide test data for clinical purposes, as delegated under CLIA by the General and Technical Supervisors for the laboratory section. Also performs related research test procedures when needed. Meets CLIA and State of California requirements for clinical laboratory testing personnel.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Use comprehensive knowledge of scientific theory and departmental policies and procedures to perform and evaluate highly complex testing and correlate results.
- Understand and comply with policies and procedures to perform responsibilities.
- Recognize, troubleshoot and resolve problems/adverse situations utilizing analytical thinking skills.
- Guide and assist other staff in resolution of complex technical problems, recommending actions and evaluating outcomes.
- Evaluate, validate, and complete requirements for new method and instrumentation in conjunction with department leadership.
- Participate as a productive member of the work team.
- Contribute to the productivity of the work team through adaptability and flexibility to workload and schedule changes in a way that promotes cooperation and minimizes disruption to the work environment and complies with the organization and departmental attendance policies.
- Coordinate a simultaneous series of tests with complete accuracy in a timely manner and demonstrate a low error rate and test repeat rate.
- Handle the normal workload in an organized and efficient manner and multitask to handle heavy workload as needed
- Actively assist coworkers with additional workload as time permits.
- Demonstrate, promote and assist with quality assurance activities to ensure the highest quality outcomes.
- Perform and verify valid results through evaluation of assay/instrument parameters, including quality control, reagent performance, calibration, etc. before reporting patient results.
- Properly operate and maintain instruments and equipment.
- Document completion of quality control (QC)/quality assurance (QA) procedures as scheduled.
- Assist in preparation for and participate in internal audits, external inspections, proficiency testing surveys, and properly maintain records to fulfill the requirements of accrediting agencies.
- Maintain continued involvement in professional development through participation in educational opportunities to ensure continued adherence to standards and provision of quality laboratory care.
- Actively seek out relevant educational experiences to stay current in laboratory medicine and maintain professional growth.
- Willingly accept assignment of new employees and\or students and strives to strengthen their understanding of theory and procedures.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility and accountability by completion of training and competencies within the established deadlines.
- Set annual work related goals with manager\supervisor and demonstrate progression and/or achievement of goals.
- Follow policies/procedures/regulatory requirements and perform other work assignments.
- Comply with all departmental and organizational policies and procedures in addition to regulatory requirements (such as OSHA, CMS, Joint Commission, etc.) and participate in corporate/departmental safety and quality activities.
- Perform other work assignments as required to maintain\sustain and improve quality care and patients outcomes.
- Meet the workflow functions of a busy workload within the flow cytometry and bone marrow laboratories.
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of flow cytometry testing and instrumentation. Recognize and anticipate technical issues, answer questions, and develop action plans to trouble shoot assays and instrumentation.
- Demonstrate and oversee the day-to-day operations of the bone marrow laboratory section, to include bone marrow collection assistance at the bedside, accessioning, preparation of slides, routine and special staining procedures, and bone marrow differential counting (500 cell differential).
- Oversee of the day to day scheduling of staff, workflow processes and workload to cover the Flow and bone marrow sections of the Division of Hematopathology. Manage reagent inventory and order reagents and supplies using LEAN concepts.
- Design and conduct validation protocols for new instrumentation and tests. Analyze data and prepare validation reports.
- Prepare single cell suspensions from peripheral blood, bone marrow aspirates, lymph nodes, body cavity fluids and other tissues. Prepare and stain cytospins.
- Develop, author and revise testing and laboratory standard operating policies and procedures (SOPs).
- Perform immunologic assays using fluorochrome labeled monoclonal antibodies on cell suspensions.
- Operate instrumentation and interpret and record results of the assays.
- Perform data entry and analysis of diagnostic information not related to reporting patient test results.
- Responsible for and oversee daily maintenance of equipment and maintain appropriate QA\QC records or all analysis according to CDPH, CAP and other regulatory requirements for the division of Hematopathology (Flow cytometry and Bone marrow sections).
- Maintain department records, reports, and files as required.
- Work unsupervised at all times.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree and completion of a certified clinical program in medical laboratory sciences or equivalent required.
- 7 years of experience in a CLIA certified Hematopathology laboratory, to include flow cytometry and bone marrow laboratory sections. Experience in assisting at the bedside during bone marrow collection procedures is required.
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) licensure is required;
- MT(ASCP) or equivalent national certification, preferred.
- Qualification in Flow Cytometry (ASCP) preferred.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.#LI-AH
Research Lab Technician Iii / Supervisor Tr Lab, University of Southern California, United States, about 9 hours ago
USC School of Pharmacy has established a state-of-the-art Translational Research Laboratory (TRLab) to support research efforts within the School of Pharmacy, throughout the USC research environme...
Registered Nurse Iv Oncology / Bone Marrow Transplant 4 Sw 12 Hour Days, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 19 days ago
Responsibilities Requisition # HRC0544862 A true leader aims to inspire—and at Cedars-Sinai, that’s exactly what our nurse leaders do. They have a strong combination of clinical skills, management...
Registered Nurse Surgical Stepdown / Transplant 6 Nw 12 Hour Days, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 10 days ago
Responsibilities Requisition # HRC0545267 Make a difference every single day When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and ever...
Data Control Coordinator, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 12 days ago
Requisition # HRC0558373 Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai! Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for excellence! Cedars-Sinai was awarded the National Research Corporation’s Co...
Data Control Coordinator, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 13 days ago
Requisition # HRC0558370 Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai! Align yourself with an organization that has a reputation for excellence! Cedars-Sinai was awarded the National Research Corporation’s Co...
Biomedical Scientist Process Development, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 11 days ago
Requisition # HRC0403365B With your help, we can change the future of healthcare! The Cedars-Sinai Biomanufacturing Center (CBC) is a state-of-the art facility that comprises of a cGMP cell manufa...