College of Liberal Arts & Sci
THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS - COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS & SCIENCES FACULTY ONLY.
The Associate Dean will hold a 0.75 FTE- administrative appointment in the College. In collaboration with the Dean, the Associate Dean will offer primary support for the Sciences within the College. Specific unit assignments to be determined upon hire based on expertise. The remaining 0.25 FTE of the appointment will be in the individual’s academic departmental appointment during the academic year.
The Associate Dean is appointed by and reports to the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. This appointment serves at the pleasure of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Term of service is for 5 years, through June 30, 2026.
0.75 FTE Associate Dean Duties:
75% Assist and advise the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in the administration of academic policy, budget, personnel, and diversity, equity, and inclusion matters within the College.
The responsibilities of the Associate Dean include the following:
- Providing effective liaison between the Dean and chairpersons/directors of assigned units. Chairpersons/directors of the assigned units will report to the Associate Dean.
- Fostering academic excellence in assigned units and exploring innovative approaches to liberal arts and sciences;
- Being an effective advocate for the role of the liberal arts and sciences in the formulation of institutional and public policy;
- Assisting the Dean in facilitation of the recruitment, development, hiring, and retention of outstanding and diverse College faculty in which women and minorities are fully represented;
- Assisting in the recruitment of outstanding undergraduate and graduate students, recognizing their importance in the successful development of teaching and research programs of the highest quality;
- Providing leadership in maintaining the vigor of graduate studies and research programs, with active involvement in seeking both internal and external resources;
- A commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging for faculty, staff and students in the Dean’s office and throughout the College;
- Assisting the Dean in providing programs consistent with the needs of students and society, evaluating and reviewing the effectiveness of programs, and anticipating and planning for future development of such programs;
- Assisting the Dean in fostering effective relationships between College academic programs and those of other schools of the University, including committee service;
- Assisting the Dean in formulating, defending, and managing efficiently and fairly the budget of the College, with the aim of (a) securing resources for support of assigned units, and (b) of allocating these resources in accordance with the best interest of the College;
- Assisting the Dean in activities related to fundraising through the KU Endowment Association; and,
- Other duties, as assigned by the Dean, to ensure efficient operation of the College
- Teach one regularly assigned course per year.
- Other course releases earned or funded through external sources should be considered in determining the number of courses needed to meet the teaching requirement.
- Advise students, including student mentoring and providing directed readings and research.
- Supervise graduate teaching assistants, as assigned.
- Serve committees that supervise and evaluate student progress.
- Engage in scholarly research, including publishing appropriate peer-reviewed books and articles and presenting papers at professional conferences on a regular basis.
- Provide general service to one’s home unit, the College, the University, the state, and to the profession.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application and (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in curriculum vitae.
Applicant for the position must have:
1. Demonstrated administrative and budgetary experience based in leading a unit and holding primary responsibility for its activities and execution (e.g., chair/director of a program, center, institute, department, or school);
2. Demonstrated leadership experience in departmental, College, or University activities dealing with academic and administrative matters.
3. Tenured staff at the rank of Professor.
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete online application includes the following materials: a cover letter that outlines one’s goals, ideas, and priorities for advancing academics, research, and administration of the College and an updated curriculum vitae.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Initial review of applications will begin April 19, 2021, and will continue as long as needed to identify a qualified pool.
In addition to the materials above, learning about each applicant's contribution and engagement in areas of diversity is an important pat of KU's mission. As a result, applicants will be presented the following question at the time of application. The response must be within 4,000 characters or less.
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
Conditions of Employment
Serve at the Pleasure
University of Kansas Lawrence Campus
Advertised Salary Range
Current academic year salary, plus summer salary, and an administrative supplement as determined by the Dean of the College.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY 9for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).
Director Of Student Services (Optometry), University of Houston, United States, 1 day ago
Director of Student Services- (Optometry) - (STA007830) Organization : H0113 Dean, Optometry Description Directs and has oversight of the Office of Student Services in the College of Optometry. Th...
Associate Dean, College Of Science And Engineering, University of Houston - Clear Lake, United States, about 23 hours ago
Associate Dean, College of Science and Engineering Description The University of Houston-Clear Lake invites applicants for an appointment as Associate Dean of the College of Science and Engineerin...
College Business Administrator, University of Houston, United States, 12 days ago
College Business Administrator - (STA007702) College Business Administrator Organization : H0005 Office of the Provost Description *This position will be located at the College of Optometry. Manag...
Senior Coordinator, Curriculum , Baylor College of Medicine, United States, 4 days ago
Title: Senior Coordinator, Curriculum Division: Graduate School of Biomedical Science Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 am to 5 pm Work Location: Texas Medical Center, Houston, TX Salary Range: $41,601...
Oracle System Analyst Iii Enterprise Systems, University of Houston - Downtown, United States, about 20 hours ago
Oracle System Analyst III-Enterprise Systems - (STA007835) Oracle System Analyst III Department Name:D0034 Enterprise Systems Description The Oracle System Analyst III designs develop and maintain...
Hr/Payroll Department Coordinator Ii, University of Houston, United States, 1 day ago
HR/Payroll DepartmentCoordinator II - (STA007757) Organization : H0116 Dean, Pharmacy Description Coordinates the payroll operations of a unit in a college or division. Serves as liaison between H...