Are you an experienced Instructional Designer looking to have a bigger impact? Do you exemplify an innovative and inclusive mindset, a passion for removing barriers to teaching and learning, and a commitment to live by the ASU mission and Sun Devil service standards?
The Online and Digital Innovation team is seeking an ID to help advance digital initiatives in the Office of the Dean in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Instructional Design and Learning Technology.
The College is the largest and most diverse college at ASU, home of 18+ schools and academic units within the divisions of Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities. This position supports all three divisions.
This position will partner with faculty to design new courses and improve existing courses by applying the most current best practices in teaching, learning, and technology in all modalities, across all of our disciplines.
Important note: This is not a remote position. This is an in-person position on ASU Tempe campus that allows for 1-to-2 days/ week remote work after the first 60 days of employment.
Instructional Design Tech
College Of Lib Arts & Sciences
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
$55,000 - $66,000 per year; DOE
- Collaborates with others (LMS administrators, security specialists, EdPlus Instructional Designers and technologists, and faculty) to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of course design and technology resources, models, and processes.
- Researches, troubleshoots, and recommends the use of learning technologies to expedite and advance teaching and learning across disciplines in all modalities (on-campus, online, and hyflex/Sync).
- In collaboration with faculty, reviews and (re)develops engaging, interactive and instructionally sound course content in alignment with learning objectives and goals.
- Proposes customized learning technology and design solutions for courses with complex content and pedagogical needs.
- Tracks learning technology usage in The College, including pricing structures and licensing.
- Collaborates with peers in other colleges and departments to share learning tool licenses and negotiate with vendors.
- Assists faculty with learning tool requests by evaluating its usefulness, ensuring its alignment with strategic initiatives, and shepherding the security review process in partnership with the Dean’s Office Security Specialist and LMS administrators.
- Evaluates faculty support needs; designs training programs, supplemental materials, and faculty-facing communications in anticipation of and response to the evolving educational landscape, technology innovations, and social climate.
- Assists with the development of course evaluation standards of measurement that include course quality, UDL/Accessibility/DEIB aspects, and media and technology.
- Reviews courses, recommends revisions, and supports faculty with improving course quality, such as UDL/accessibility/DEIB aspects and updating media and technology.
- Redesigns and maintains Instruction Junction (https://instruction.thecollege.asu.edu/).
- Develops and maintains tutorials, reference material, design standards, content resources, templates, and job aids for edtech and course development.
- Serves on committees and leads meetings, representing The College and the Dean’s Office in conversations about teaching and learning initiatives, and proactively reporting updates to leadership.
- Assumes or coordinates other duties or projects as assigned or directed.
Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field AND Three (3) years of providing learning/instructional design and/or technology development services. Or, any equivalent combination of experience or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of a Master’s degree in Learning Experience Design, Educational Technology, or related field.
- Two or more years of experience working with university faculty in an instructional design and learning technology capacity.
- Expertise in instructional design, including setting and managing course development milestones, writing course objectives, developing course content and assessments, advising on video lectures, etc.
- Evidence of developing a robust and diverse portfolio of online university-level courses.
- Familiarity with the Sun Devil service standards and the ASU mission.
- Familiarity with the Quality Matters design standards and the Peralta rubric for equity and inclusion.
- Experience and passion for developing learning content for all learners, including those with disabilities and underrepresented populations (accessibility and Universal Design for Learning, DEIB, HSI, etc.)
- Ambitions of career progression to ID Sr. after meeting and exceeding goals and responsibilities consistently for 1-to-3 years (depending on experience and performance).
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
Hybrid Remote work may be available for up to two days a week upon completion of the onboarding period. Dean or vice president-level approval is required.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (The College) is the largest college at ASU and is organized in a divisional structure comprised of Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. The atmosphere is collegial, priorities are fluid and demands for assistance come from many directions. This position provides an opportunity to exercise initiative, work with very diverse populations and enhance leadership skills.
The College offers the greatest choice and diversity of studies of any school at Arizona State University, the largest public university in the United States. In addition to top academic programs, award-winning faculty, and state-of-the-art lab and research facilities, The College offers unique opportunities to explore a vast spectrum of academic disciplines - from science and math to languages and philosophy - that few other colleges and universities can provide. The College has 90+ undergraduate majors and 140+ graduate degrees housed in 23 interdisciplinary schools and departments. The College is redefining liberal arts
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services .
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
Professor/Director Bermuda Institute Of Ocean Sciences, Arizona State University /School of Ocean Futures, Bermuda, about 5 hours ago
Arizona State University (ASU, www.asu.edu) is searching for the next director of the Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS, http://www.bios.edu/), located in Bermuda. BIOS is a research cent...
Experience Design Specialist, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, 1 day ago
Job Purpose Designs and creates enhanced digital experiences while applying human-centered design techniques. Identifies unique and creative approaches to problem-solving. Evaluates challenges fro...
Lecturer Interior Design, Unitech Institute of Technology, New Zealand, 9 days ago
Part-time position at 15 hours weekly Te āheinga: The opportunity As our Lecturer of Interior Design, you'll join a team of experienced Interior Design Architecture educators who are committed to ...
Associate Professor Of Staging Collaborative Design In Engineering Design At Aau Copenhagen, The Design Society, Worldwide, about 22 hours ago
At the Technical Faculty of IT and Design, Department of Planning at Aalborg University, Copenhagen, a position as Associate Professor of Staging Collaborative Design in Engineering Design is open...
Tenure Track: Creating Fully Circular Products And Materials, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 21 days ago
- PhD in Industrial Design, Material Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a closely related field - A track record in research, visible through high-quality pub...
Blended Learning, Bryn Mawr College, United States, about 19 hours ago
The Blended Learning in the Liberal Arts Initiative is a collective effort to discover and share ways for using blended learning to support learner-centered pedagogies, facilitate meaningful facul...