The Chicago Quantum Exchange (CQE) is an intellectual hub for advancing the science and engineering of quantum information between the CQE community, across the Midwest, and around the globe. A catalyst for research activity across its member and partner institutions, the CQE is based at the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering and is anchored by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Northwestern University. The Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering (PME) was established in May 2019 and evolved from the Institute for Molecular Engineering, which was founded in 2011. The PME integrates science and engineering to address global challenges from the molecular level up. The PME’s rigorous academic and research programs are made possible through the University of Chicago’s unique partnership with Argonne National Laboratory. The Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering is the first new school at the University of Chicago in three decades and the first school in the nation dedicated to molecular engineering. In the next phase of growth as a School, the PME will continue to expand its team of world-class faculty researchers and empower students from diverse backgrounds to collaborate with faculty in cutting-edge facilities. The PME aims to bring solutions for urgent societal problems to the forefront, while training the next generation of scientific leaders and entrepreneurs.
About the Department
The Chicago Quantum Exchange (CQE) within the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering is seeking a Director of Education and Workforce Programs who provides professional support for launching, managing and maintaining quantum education and workforce development programs in coordination with multiple University departments and external institutions. The Director of Education and Workforce Programs will enhance and support the implementation of institution-wide quantum initiatives related to teaching and learning, inclusive excellence, leadership development, and assessment.
- Creates and manages workforce development and education programs between three universities (University of Chicago, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, University of Wisconsin – Madison, two national labs Argonne National Laboratory and Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, and other institutions).
- Develops, manages, and executes administrate efforts for the quantum certificate and Open Quantum Initiative programs.
- Works in close collaboration with the industry partnerships team and is attuned to the workforce needs of employers.
- Develops, manages, and executes administrative efforts at University of Chicago for the multi-institutional NSF Quantum Leap Challenge Institute with a dotted line report to the lead UChicago Investigator.
- Collaborates with Career Advancement to execute the Quantum Recruiting Forum for students and trainees across STEM disciplines.
- Establishes new education and outreach initiatives that increase the education and training of scientists and participation in quantum science and technology.
- Plans and implements virtual and in-person events, including new courses, education, and outreach activities.
- In coordination with the Chief Executive Officer of the CQE, prepares and monitors the various financial and budgetary activities, including vendor contracts, annual reports, and evaluations to funding agencies.
- Partners with a vibrant group of faculty, industry partners, quantum professionals, and fosters new connections. Ensures clear and consistent communications with relevant program stakeholders.
- Oversees the work of the Associate Director of Curriculum and Education Partnerships and the Program Administrator, Quantum Education.
- Manages, evaluates, and develops staff as needed and as assigned.
- Plans, develops, analyzes, and manages the budget, including developing multi-year budget forecasts. May oversee the preparation and management of grant and contract proposals, ensuring compliance with all University, federal and private foundation guidelines and regulations. Develops financial reports and assists with seeking funding for CQE education and career development programs and initiatives.
- Uses best practices to develop and execute the organization’s operational and overall strategic plan. Develops and implements relevant policies and procedures and ensures compliance.
- Manages the dissemination, interpretation and application of program policies and recommends or makes exceptions.
- Contributes to design of program content, policies and strategic planning efforts.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education:Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, such as in the STEM fields.
- A minimum of seven years of significant work experience.
- Grant and contract coordination, project coordination, and/or evaluation.
- Working in higher education or an academic research environment.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Strong computer skills including and proficiency with Microsoft office suite, including Excel and database management.
- Demonstrated experience launching, managing, and evaluating education and/or workforce programs.
- Experience with grant development, management, and reporting.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication, administrative, organization, problem -solving coordination skills, including public speaking.
- Time management skills and the ability to organize and handle multiple, concurrent tasks within deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Flexible and adaptable to changes in workflow and procedures.
- Handle public contacts with courtesy, clarity, and diplomacy.
- Handle sensitive and confidential situations and information with absolute discretion.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
- Writing or presentation sample (preferred)
- Professional References Contact Information (3)(preferred)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Administration & Management
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Employees must comply with the University’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements. More information about the requirements can be found on the University of Chicago Vaccination GoForward .
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Assistant Scientist Neutron And X Ray Scattering Group, Argonne, United States, about 23 hours ago
The Neutron and X-ray Scattering Group of the Materials Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory is seeking applicants for an Assistant Physicist in the area of experimental condensed matte...
Director Ai Research And Strategic Development, National Security Focus, Argonne, United States, about 23 hours ago
Argonne's Computing, Environmental, Life Sciences (CELS) directorate is seeking a Director of AI Research and Strategic Development, National Security focus, to join their team. This Director will...
Physician Scientists Department Of Medicine #Med188a, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 15 days ago
Details Posted: 14-May-23 Location: Chicago, IL Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 106930 The University of Chicago's Department of Medicine is searching for full-time phys...
Senior Instructional Professor (Open Rank) Data Science, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 20 days ago
Details Posted: 10-May-23 Location: Chicago, IL Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 124966 The Data Science Institute in the Physical Sciences Division at the University of ...
Som Faculty Academic Anesthesiologists [80% Fte] #Acc061.2, University of Chicago (UC), United States, 17 days ago
Details Posted: 12-May-23 Location: Chicago, IL Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Internal Number: 123543 The University of Chicago's Department of Anesthesia & Critical Care seeks 80% eff...
Postdoc Research Associate College Of Pharmacy Pharmaceutical Sciences Sant Lab, University of Illinois - Chicago, United States, 24 days ago
Details Posted: 05-May-23 Location: Chicago, Illinois Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Academic/Faculty Pharmaceutical Sciences Internal Number: 4161886 Postdoc Research Associate - Colleg...