Department: Department of Botany and Zoology – Faculty of Science
Deadline: 31 May 2022
Start date: negotiable
Job type: full-time
Job field: Science and research | Education and schooling
Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Assistant professor in the field of botany
Workplace: Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 3-year contract (with possible extension), academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 2
Pay: 36 000 CZK per month/negotiable
Application Deadline: 31. 5. 2022
EU Researcher Profile : R2
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Botany and Zoology is a modern centre of research and teaching in the fields of evolutionary biology, biosystematics and ecology. Its individual research groups study phylogenetic relationships and the classification of organisms, their diversity from the local to the continental level, and the ecological relationships of individual species, populations and communities in relation to both natural and human-induced changes in entire ecosystems.
- Assistant professor in the field of botany
- Preparation and conducting of courses and seminars, guidance of students
- Performing independent research in the field of vegetation science or plant biosystematics
- Writing scientific publications for international journals
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- PhD in botany or related field
- Experience in teaching botany for bachelor and master students
- Experience in supervising bachelor's or master's theses, evidenced by at least one defended thesis
- Experience in conducting botanical field courses
- Good knowledge of Central European flora
- Good knowledge of Czech (or Slovak) and English at a level that allows teaching and writing scientific papers in both languages
- Active research in botany, evidenced by at least five first-authored publications in journals indexed on Web of Science
- Completed internship abroad (outside the Czech Republic or Slovakia)
- Experience in leading international scientific studies evidenced by publications
- Good communication skills, motivation to work with students and scientific research teams in the field of botany
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to Mgr. Soňa Hroudová, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility
- Employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in canteens of MU, Multisport card, vaccinations free of charge, discounted language courses, university cinema discount, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city (for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo )
- International Staff Office provides support with your relocation to Brno
The application shall be submitted online by 31. 5. 2022 via an e-application, please find the reference to the e-application in the beginning and end of the advertisement.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz .
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers . Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days after the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates meeting the position requirements.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here .
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page .
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Lecturer In Programming And Computer Science, Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University, Czech, 23 days ago
Dean of the Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position: Lecturer in Programming and Computer Science Number of open positions: 1 for full-time / par...
Research Assisstant, University of Bucharest, Romania, about 14 hours ago
Higher education in biology or environmental sciences. Doctoral student status in the field of biology or environmental sciences. Results from previous work that have been scientifically communica...
Full Professor In Botany With A Focus On Systematics, Taxonomy, And Plant , University of Gothenburg, Sweden, 39 minutes ago
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 56 000 students and 6 600 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong rese...
Senior Terrestrial Ecologist Flora/Botany, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, 25 minutes ago
The Role: Senior Terrestrial Ecologist – Flora/ Botany Beacon Development Department, KAUST Our company is a leading environmental consultancy in Saudi Arabia. We are dedicated to working in...
Sage Grouse Range Technician: Idaho, Multiple, University of Idaho, United States, 23 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyUniversity of IdahoLocationIdaho, multipleJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalary$12-14/hr (~$2010-23...
Asisstant, WROCŁAW UNIVERSITY OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND LIFE SCIENCES, Poland, 23 days ago
Rector of the University of Life Sciences in Wrocław announces a competition for the position of Assistant in the group of research and teaching staff at the Institute of Agroecology and Plant Pro...