University of Zurich's Center of Dental Medicine is one of the four dental university centers of Switzerland. It has approximately 390 employees and comprises six clinics, an institute, and a central administration department.
The division of Dental Biomaterials Research group of Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Mutlu Özcan, PhD has a vacant position for a Research Assistant.
Hydrogels are known by their excellent biocompatibility, causing minimal inflammatory response and tissue damage. Photo-polymerizable, injectable hydrogels have been utilized as a minimally invasive option compared to metal coils for the treatment of brain aneurysms, which is a life-threatening cerebral hemorrhage, often resulting in death or severe brain damage. An improved version of this class of hydrogels used in neurosurgery will be further developed as dental biomaterial. Root-canal treatments are among the most difficult clinical applications in dentistry. Unsuccessful treatments yield to failure of the treatment or reinfection of the tooth. Given the fact that unsuccessful root canal treated teeth have less favorable prognosis especially under reconstructions, in part also due to the complex anatomy of the root canals, the group of Prof. Mutlu Özcan is developing a new root canal treatment solution in collaboration with Dr. M. Bispinghoff, Dr. A. Schmocker from the Medtech startup Lumendo and Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich). This innovative, low-viscosity, injectable material will be implemented as a photo-activated root canal sealer in dentistry. This innovation will allow for a minimally invasive, easy-to-use root canal filling material, which will have the potential to make the treatment faster and easier and thereby improve the treatment outcome and help people keep their natural teeth longer.
The multidisciplinary project, combining material science and bioengineering technologies, is funded by Innosuisse Grant of the Swiss Innovation Agency (2020-2022) grant for the project "Photo-polymerizable Root Canal Filling Material Development".
- Testing, assessing and optimizing the product prototypes from a clinician's perspective.
- Providing regular feedback and advice to the R&D team to ensure that the product meets the clinicians' needs.
- Train and supervise the R&D team in dental applications and methods in laboratory settings.
- Drafting reports and scientific publications of the study outcomes in peer-reviewed journals.
- Setting and assisting preclinical, clinical studies to test the product performance and user evaluations.
- Should be a holder of a university degree in Dentistry including "Master" and "Doctorate".
- Should have at least 3 years of clinical experience.
- Should have a particular interest in biomaterials research.
- Must be able to work in team, as he/she will work in close collaboration with PhD students.
- Should have strong scientific publication record.
- Should have experience in dental materials development and testing.
- Deep scientific understanding, creative thinking, problem-solving skills.
- Should master English and German in speaking and writing.
- Should have skills in presentation and operation using both Microsoft Office and Mac.
What we offer
- Highly innovative research project aiming to develop a dental biomaterial that can help improve people's health.
- An interdisciplinary working environment, giving high responsibility and freedom.
- Working with young, entrepreneurial and motivated team.
- Attractive 1-year 20% employment contract (expected date of project end: 15 January 2022).
An application requires a written solicitation, extended CV, and two references with contact information. The selection will be based on the comparison of the submitted applications, including an interview with the pre-selected candidates.
Applications to be sent to Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c., Mutlu Özcan, PhD, before 22 January 2021.
Place of work
Center of Dental Medicine
Clinic of Reconstructive Dentistry
Start of employment
Start date as soon as possible.
UZH on social media
Research Assistant, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
Job Description The Rosa’s group is seeking candidates for a position as Research Assistant at the National University Centre of Oral Health Singapore (NUCOHS). The project aims to study the effec...
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Diploma/Master), Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria, 27 days ago
The world is changing at an ever-faster pace. At the Johannes Kepler University Linz, we work on technologies and the ideas of tomorrow on a daily basis. At the same time, we educate over 21,000 y...
Research Fellow, Dean's Office, Dentistry, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
Job Description To work on a dental public health project, including preparation of research documents, liaison with community partners, participant recruitment, data collection and handling, and ...
Fachbereich Biologie, Chemie, Pharmazie Institut Für Chemie Und Biochemie Research Assistant (Praedoc) (M/F/D) 65% Part Time Job Limited To 31st December, 2024 Entgeltgruppe 13 Tv L Fu Reference Code: Sfb1449 Koksch Tp C02 Bewerbungsende: 08.03.2021, Free University of Berlin, Germany, about 8 hours ago
Job description: Participation in research in the following field: Development of biologically relevant hydrogels based on glycopeptides within the framework of the subproject C2 of the above-ment...
Research Fellow In Theoretical Physics , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
RESEARCH FELLOW IN THEORETICAL PHYSICS DEPARTMENT: Physics ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Theoretical Physics POSITION TITLE: Research Fellow LOCATION: Suzhou Campus SALARY: Based on experience and evaluati...
DocToral StuDent, Nanomedicines And Biomedical Engineering Lab, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 4 hours ago
Hydrogels Containing Nanotheranostic Systems (Nanother) for Personalized Tendon Medicine The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researc...