80%-100%, Zurich, fixed-term
The Laboratory of Food Systems Biotechnology (FSB) develops computational methods and utilizes "omics" technologies to study microbial ecosystems in food production and human health, with the ultimate goal of creating microbial communities and products that optimize food quality, safety, and human health.
We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher with expertise in shotgun metagenomics, microbial bioinformatics, or microbial biotechnology to join our team.
You will join a collaborative team of scientists who develop and use molecular, deep sequencing, and bioinformatics methods to study microbiomes at the interface between foods and human health. Fermented foods and beverages are a nutritionally and culturally significant component of human diets globally, as well as a primary source of microorganisms and microbial metabolites that shape both food quality and human health. They also serve as an experimentally tractable model for testing microbial ecology and evolution hypotheses. You will develop and utilize multi-omics approaches to study microbiome functional interactions in fermented foods, food systems, and the human diet.
- You are a self-motivated scientist with outstanding academic qualifications, superb interpersonal and written communication skills, and enthusiasm to engage with a friendly and collaborative team of interdisciplinary scientists.
- You are skilled in biological data analysis and comfortable working with a mixture of molecular biology, microbiology, and microbial bioinformatics techniques. You should have experience analyzing metagenomics or metabolomics data.
- You should be familiar with the use of nucleotide sequence data repositories and community metadata standards used in microbiological research.
- Familiarity with laboratory automation, high-performance-computing environments, or Python 3 programming would be beneficial, but not required.
- Doctoral degree in microbiology, molecular biology, food microbiology, biology, ecology, bioinformatics, computational biology, or other relevant fields.
- Strong record of scientific communication and publications
- Excellent interpersonal communication, teamwork and organizational skills
- English language proficiency (written and spoken)
ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity, and attractive offers and benefits. These include a collaborative and supportive team of scientists; an engaging and friendly workplace culture; access to world-class facilities and technology platforms; further training opportunities and mentoring for career development; delicious baked goods.chevron_right Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit ourEqual Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following materials:
- A letter of intent (1-2 pages) that describes your interest and suitability for the position, your specific goals/vision/proposed research aims, and succinctly conveys your scientific mission.
- An updated curriculum vitae including a list of publications, education, and relevant experience
- Names and contact information of 2-3 professional references
Please note that we will only consider completed applications that are submitted through our online application portal. Applications sent via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information about the group please visit our website . Questions regarding the position can be directed to Prof. Dr Nicholas Bokulich by email (see website for contact information) (no applications).
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.
Postdoc In Marine Protist Microbe Interactions, ETH, Switzerland, 1 day ago
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Researcher to join our dynamic research group focused on studying marine protist-bacteria interactions. This position offers an exciting...
Postdoc In Marine Protist Microbe Interactions, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, about 22 hours ago
6 Jun 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Environmental science » Ecology Biological sciences » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Switzerl...
Postdoc In Data Driven Human Microbiome And Health Studies, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 20 days ago
17 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Chalmers University of Technology Research Field Biological sciences » Nutritional sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country S...
Doctorate Students And Post Docs To Strengthen Our Team, ETH, Switzerland, 18 days ago
Telejob, a subunit of AVETH, has been helping students and other members of ETH domain for 30 years to find their dream jobs. If you want to be part of our volunteering team, now it is your chance...
Postdoc In Data Driven Human Microbiome And Health Studies, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 2 days ago
Project description The gut microbiota plays a fundamental role in the health state of the host and there is indication of direct implications of gut microbiota in cardiovascular diseases (CVD), t...
Postdoctoral Positions: Data Integration Of Omics Data For Personalized Health, ETH, Switzerland, 26 days ago
Our groups are tightly embedded in the Swiss initiatives on personalized health promoted by the PHRT and SPHN networks. Our major task is to contribute an in-depth molecular analysis of samples ...