About the Position
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of National Research Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including natural science, engineering, social science and humanities.
The Planning and Development (PD) is a newly established directorate which focuses on providing:
- Macro-organisational system planning, foresight, including evaluating and reporting on the status and needs of national research as well as research trends and interests within and across disciplines and knowledge fields; and
- Assessment of the state and development needs of individual research institutions and interventions in order to be responsive to the requirements of National System of Innovation.
The NRF invites applications from suitably qualified individuals to occupy the position of Director: PD within the Strategy, Planning and Partnerships business division.
Reporting to the Executive Director: PD; the successful candidate will work closely with other NRF Business units, use robust business intelligence to support and enhance NRF, decision making to enhance the NRF's delivery of its mandate, and improvement of efficiencies in that regard. In addition, on engaging research institutions in strengthening research capabilities in key institutional competency areas. The incumbent will be responsible for generating strategic documents to enhance the NRFs' influence and impact as articulated in the organisation's mandate. Main duties will include providing macro-organisational planning, foresight, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide guidance, assistance, and coordinate macro-level planning and development interventions to enhance NRF's efficiencies in delivering on its mandate;
- Design, develop, and monitor long-term strategies to support research at higher education institutions, public research entities, science councils and national research facilities;
- Conduct NRF performance monitoring and assessment of developed policies and long -term strategies and frameworks; and
- Manage staff and finances.
- A Master's Degree in the natural sciences with a strong research experience. A Doctoral degree will be an advantage.
- A minimum of five (5) years research experience in any of the following areas: Institutional Planning, Science Policy Development, or the higher education sector;
- Experience in working with local and international research institutions;
- Good project management ability;
- Demonstrated experience in analysing information, writing analytical reports as well as preparing and delivering presentations to a wide audience;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working individually and in teams;
- A thorough understanding of the South African Science and Higher Education landscape;
- People and financial management ability will serve as an advantage.
The NRF is committed to employment equity and redress. Correspondence will be conducted with shortlisted candidates only.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- translate vision into corporate goals
- communicate at different levels
- lead, manage and execute activities of the programme
- initiate strategic partnerships with the public and private sector
- managing projects
- managing human resources and business finances
- the legislation relating to conducting research
- the processes involved in conducting research
- the South African Science and Higher Education landscape
Talent Operations Executive For Ai Singapore, National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 9 hours ago
Talent Operations Executive for AI Singapore - 00CMM Description AI Singapore (AISG) is a national AI programme launched by the National Research Foundation (NRF) to anchor deep national capabilit...
Senior Project Manager, Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Rolls-Royce@NTU Corporate Lab is looking for a candidate to join them as a Senior Project Manager. The business title for this role would be Senior Programme Manager. Job Responsibilities Drive th...
Chair In Nuclear Engineering , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
About University Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly int...
Mixed (Social Science Based) Methods Technologist (Permanent) (Ref: 136), Teagasc, Ireland, 3 days ago
Basic Function: The Department of Agri-food Business and Spatial Analysis in Teagasc undertakes social and behavioural science based research to support innovation across the supply chain. It has ...
Senior Manager / Manager – International Marketing, Scale (Academic Programmes Business Unit), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 10 hours ago
Senior Manager / Manager – International Marketing, SCALE (Academic Programmes Business Unit) - 00CUK Description The School of Continuing and Lifelong Education (SCALE) was established to drive t...
Up To 4 Postdoctors Related To Pandemic Risk Communication (# Of Pos: 4), University of Stavanger, Norway, 17 days ago
Job description Due to an emergency call from the Research Council of Norway (RCN) linked to the ongoing Corona pandemics, the University of Stavanger invites applicants for up to four Postdoctora...