Postdoctoral position in South African geoarchaeology
Apply for this job
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
The Department of Archaeology, History, Cultural Studies and Religion invites applications for a 3-year postdoctoral position in the field of geoarchaeology, relating to Pleistocene and early Holocene landscape evolution along the southern coast of South Africa. The position is part of the Centre for Early Sapiens Behaviour (SapienCE) , a Center of Excellence (CoE) funded by the Norwegian Research Council . SapienCE is a multidisciplinary CoE that investigates and contextualizes the early emergence of behavioral modernity during the Middle Stone Age (MSA) of southern Africa.
The purpose of this position is to produce detailed reconstructions of the palaeolandscapes surrounding the MSA sites of Blombos Cave and Klipdrift Shelter, and to understand the evolution of these landscapes over time. The project entails extensive fieldwork in South Africa, with a focus on field mapping and sampling of aeolianites and paleosols, together with laboratory-based sedimentological, pedological and geochronological analyses. The ultimate goal of this project is to produce palaeolandscape models which can be used to: a) aid the archaeological interpretation of these important MSA sites and b) link the detailed (geo)archaeological records from within these sites to other data. This will primarily be palaeoenvironmental data produced by other SapienCE researchers via an understanding of climatically induced landscape evolution.
About the postdoctoral position
- The applicant is expected to conduct independent research within the focus of SapienCE.
- The applicant is expected to conduct research based on fieldwork and laboratory analyses. Fieldwork will be conducted in South Africa. Laboratory analyses will be conducted in Bergen and at SapienCE partner institution at Tübingen (Germany) and Royal Holloway (United Kingdom).
- The applicant is also expected to form part of the SapienCE team and work closely with colleagues conducting research in archaeology, palaeoclimate modelling and palaeoclimate reconstruction.
The position as postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment for three years with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The successful applicant shall prepare a plan for qualifying for top academic positions in cooperation with the Head of Department.
It is a requirement that the postdoctoral project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution. The successful applicant will be expected to conform to the regulations that apply to the position and must have their primary workplace in Bergen for the full term of the appointment.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent foreign degree in a relevant discipline (geoarchaeology, physical geography, geomorphology, or a related discipline). The doctoral dissertation must have been submitted for evaluation within the closing date of the application and it is a condition of appointment that the PhD has been awarded. Applicants who do not have a Norwegian PhD will be evaluated according to the regulations of the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT).
- The applicant is expected to have experience conducting fieldwork, ideally in coastal settings, and should have demonstrated experience in sedimentological, pedological and/or luminescence dating work.
- The applicant must be able to work independently in a well-structured way, be comfortable conducting overseas fieldwork and have good cooperation skills.
- The applicant should be willing to engage with researchers from different disciplines and be enthusiastic about collaborating on the production of multi-disciplinary publications.
- It is probable that most applicants will need to be trained in either laboratory-based sedimentological/pedological methods or luminescence dating work. The applicant should be willing to visit the relevant SapienCE partner institutions in the first year of employment to obtain this training, and to make a number of subsequent visits as necessary to carry out analyses. These training/research visits may last for several weeks.
Both the academic quality of the initial project proposal and the applicant’s qualifications and skills will be considered in the assessment of the application.
In cases where applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, motivation and the applicant’s personal eligibility will be taken into account.
We can offer:
- A thriving and professionally stimulating working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 62 (Code 1352) in the state salary scale, currently approx. NOK 573 500 gross p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits
How to apply:
Applications must be sent electronically via the link on this site “APPLY FOR THIS JOB”. The applicant must use the electronic CV form.
The application must include:
- A project proposal (up to 5 pages /12.000 characters) delineating how the applicant will achieve the goals of the project, including reflections on methodology, feasibility, and access to data, as well as a brief account of the applicant’s research interests, motivation for applying for the position, and an elaboration on how postdoctoral project will fit with SapienCE goals.
- The name and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor for the PhD thesis.
- A list of publications
- A short summary of the PhD thesis (up to 3 pages)
- Scanned copies of transcripts and diplomas.
- Relevant references from previous employers.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English (or a Scandinavian language) must be uploaded at Jobbnorge. Attachments can be either in Word or pdf-format.
For further information and for a full project description, applicants may contact SapienCE Project Manager, Zarko Tankosic, email@example.com , +47 55 58 31 77 or Head of Department Teemu Ryymin, firstname.lastname@example.org , +47 55 58 38 79.
The public labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The best qualified candidates for the position will be invited to an interview.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Questions or queries about the electronic application process can be directed to email@example.com .
Further information about our employment process can be found here .
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are four departments and two centres at Faculty of Humanites. Read more about the faculty and departments.
Apply for this job
11th April 2023
University of Bergen
Fulltime (1 positions) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
See more jobs
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
Find more jobs
Link to startpage
Postdoctoral Position In South African Geoarchaeology , University of Bergen, Norway, about 5 hours ago
11th April 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Postdoctoral position in South African geoarchaeology Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Throu...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Middle Stone Age African Archaeology , University of Bergen, Norway, about 5 hours ago
11th April 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Middle Stone Age African Archaeology Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shape...
Msca Seas Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Early Human Adaptation To Shifting Coastlines In Southern Africa , University of Bergen, Norway, about 6 hours ago
12th June 2023 Languages English English English Shaping European Research Leaders for Marine Sustainability (SEAS) MSCA SEAS postdoctoral research fellow in early human adaptation to shifting coa...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position Within Acoustic Seismology , University of Bergen, Norway, about 5 hours ago
10th April 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Postdoctoral Research Fellow position within acoustic seismology Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes so...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Gwas And Machine Learning Analyses , University of Bergen, Norway, about 5 hours ago
16th April 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Department of Clinical Medicine Postdoctoral Research Fellow in GWAS and machine learning analyses Apply for this job See advertisem...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow At The Department Of Global Public Health And Primary Care , University of Bergen, Norway, about 5 hours ago
10th April 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Global Public Health and Primary Care Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - K...