SCIENTIST: INSECT ECOLOGIST
- Lead innovative research and development
- Maximise your national and internal impact
- Senior permanent position within our Entomology team
Scion specialises in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts and energy and the establishment of a broader based bio-economy.
Are you an experienced Insect Ecologist who wants to lead a projects in championing science excellence and innovation? Are you a professional thought leader, keen to uncover solutions for the better management of insect pests of trees and to research tree/insect/pathogen interactions? Does scientific research that really makes a difference to New Zealand's Forestry Industry, native forests and the environment ignite your passion?
About the position:
The position will lead innovative research and development into the sustainability, resilience and productivity of New Zealand Forests in response to insect pests and pathogens. Collaborating within and across multi-disciplinary teams, the focus will be on design of new entomology technologies and approaches; confronting challenges and developing high quality science-based solutions. The position will include strong programme and project enablement capabilities, coaching and networking.
To be successful in this role you will have a passion for science that achieves impacts for the forestry sector and that benefits the New Zealand environment and have:
- PhD qualified with at least 10 years of research experience in Forest Entomology, Forest Pathology and/or Forest Ecology. Scopus h - index of 8+
- Demonstrated research outcomes within the field of insect ecology and application of relevant technologies and approaches, within forested ecosystems.
- Knowledge and understanding of ecological principles relevant to forest health and resilience
- Knowledge of plant/insect/pathogen (or disease) interactions, with experience in one or more of the following: insects as vectors of nematodes or pathogens, fungal biological control of insects, bark and ambrosia beetles and their associated fungi
- Experience in morphological identification of insects is extremely desirable
- Developing indigenous partnerships to co-design programmes of work and/or proven history of working in partnership with communities also desirable
Scion is home to creative science minds and has a vibrant culture ensuring employees can pursue innovation and excellence in their science delivery. Scion is proud to offer:
- Opportunities for a fulfilling career that enables outcomes for New Zealand, Aotearoa;
- Continuous professional development;
- Enviable work environment; and
- A demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/ EEO principles.
Closing Date: 5 November 2021
If you are interested in this role, we encourage you to apply without delay, as due to the urgency to fill this role, we may begin interviews during the advertising period.
For further information and to apply online, please refer to our website: www.scionresearch.com .
Improvement Of The Orchidee Biosphere Model To Study The Impact Of Natural Disturbances On Forestry..., CNRS, Suriname, 4 days ago
The activities will be: 1) Getting started with the ORCHIDEE global biosphere model and setting up a configuration in mainland France. 2) Initialise the ORCHIDEE model to simulate wood production ...
Deputy Director Of Resource Management – Cook County, Illinois, Forest Preserves of Cook County, United States, 22 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyForest Preserves of Cook CountyLocationOfficed in River Forest, IL with responsibility throughout Cook Count...
Forester – Iowa And Illinois, National Wild Turkey Federation, United States, 17 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyNational Wild Turkey FederationLocationEpworth, IAJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalaryDOEStart Date01/17/20...
Assistant Or Associate Professor Of Wildlife Ecology And Management, Department Of Forestry And Natural Resources, University Of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky, Usa, University of Kentucky, United States, 15 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyUniversity of KentuckyLocationLexington, Kentucky, USAJob CategoryFaculty AppointmentsSalaryNegotiableStart ...
Natural Resources Research Scientist Senior And Forester Senior: Wisconsin, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, United States, 4 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyWisconsin Department of Natural ResourcesLocationRhinelander, WisconsinJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal Positi...
Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest Seasonal Plant Technicians Summer 2022: Sparks, Nv, United States Forest Service, United States, 23 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyUnited States Forest ServiceLocationSparks, NVJob CategoryTemporary/Seasonal PositionsSalaryGS-05Start Date0...