Research Associate (Postdoc) in Distributed Artificial Intelligence for 6G Networks
(Valid from 01/11/2022 to 03/01/2023)
Language: English (UK)
Organisation Interdisciplinary Centre of Security, Reliability and Trust
Job Number: UOL05357
Contract Fixed Term Contract
Duration 24 Month
Schedule Full Time
Work Hours 40.0 Hours per Week
Job Postdoctoral researcher
About the SnT…
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from highly motivated and outstanding researchers in the
general area of edge artificial intelligence (AI) for 6G networks within its Signal Processing and Communications (SIGCOM) research group. SnT carries
out interdisciplinary research in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services, often in collaboration with industrial, governmental or
international partners. For further information, you may refer to www.securityandtrust.lu
The research group focuses on wireless/satellite communications and networking and is headed by Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas . The research areas focus on
the formulation, modelling, design, and analysis of future 5G and beyond communication networks that are capable of supporting new services in a
cost-efficient manner. Use cases of interest include IoT verticals, unmanned aerial vehicles, integrated satellite-space-terrestrial networks, quantum
communications and key distribution, spectrum management and coexistence, tactile Internet, and autonomous transportation. As far as technical enablers
are concerned, we leverage expertise on massive MIMO cell-free communications, smart-radio environments through the use of intelligent surfaces,
machine-type and ultra-reliable and low-latency communications, edge computing and caching, RAN slicing, and network softwarization and visualization.
Finally, due to the large-scale nature, complexity, and heterogeneity of 5G and beyond networks, for their analysis and optimization we use tools such as
artificial intelligence/machine learning, graph theory and graph-signal processing, and convex/non-convex optimization. Furthermore, our activities are
experimentally driven and supported by the SDR CommLab, the SDN Lab, the 5G-Space Lab, our SW Simulators, and our OTA Facilties. For further information,
you may refer to https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/sigcom
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the
The successful candidate will primarily contribute to the large Horizon Europe research project ETHER – sElf-evolving terrestrial/non-Terrestrial Hybrid
nEtwoRks that is to start on 01/01/2023. ETHER is going to provide a framework for the integrated terrestrial/non-terrestrial network ecosystem that
involves an efficient and zero-touch resource management, provides solution for key radio access network challenges, and identifies the business
opportunities for potential stakeholders. To realize this novel system concept, ETHER relies on a multi-layered and unified space-aerial-terrestrial
architecture, leveraging the benefits of Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning (AI/ML) for the optimization of the highly complex and heterogeneous
“network of networks”. It will rely on the generation and processing of a massive amount of data that spans the terrestrial, aerial, and space networks.
This data will be generated, e.g., by satellites, high altitude platforms (HAPS), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), airplanes, small cells, and User
Equipment (UE)/Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices and can reveal hidden trends, thus, proactive network adaptation to foreseen requirements can be
achieved. Due to the massive scale of these data, distributed AI/ML approaches are essential, such as multi-agent reinforcement learning and federated
learning. Apart from ETHER, the successful candidate is expected to contribute to the development of such a distributed learning framework for additional
applications that are of interest to SIGCOM. Indicative areas of interest are Industry 5.0, autonomous driving, and smart healthcare.
In summary, the position holder will be required to perform the following tasks:
* Contribute to the development of distributed AI/ML solutions for the Horizon Europe project ETHER – sElf-evolving terrestrial/non-Terrestrial Hybrid
* Contribute to the development of distributed AI/ML solutions in further fields of interest to SIGCOM, such as Industry 5.0, autonomous driving, and
* Disseminating results through scientific publications and conferences
* The candidate is expected to actively contribute to the different research projects, either coordinating technical contribution and/or preparing
* Preparing new research proposals to attract industrial, national, and European projects
* Providing assistance in the supervision of PhD students
* A PhD degree in Telecommunication Engineering, or Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science/engineering with a focus on AI/ML tools and methods
* Sound publication track record in relevant international conferences and top journals
* Good knowledge on distributed learning approaches, such as federated and multi-agent reinforcement learning
* Background in optimization theory
* Background in general wireless communications will be considered as an advantage
* Strong programming skills in MATLAB, Python or C++. Other simulation languages such as JULIA are a plus
* Experience of working with industrial projects or public funded research projects is highly desirable
* Highly committed, excellent team-worker, and strong critical thinking
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Here’s what awaits you at SnT…
* Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite,
or help make autonomous vehicles even better
* The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than
55 industry partners
* Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking
activities and more
Find out more about us!
* Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 24 Month (which may be extended up to five years)
* Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
* Location: Kirchberg
* Job Reference: UOL05357
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 77167 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications in English should include:
* Curriculum Vitae, including:
* Contact address
* For each degree received or currently enrolled in, provide the degree, institution name, institution city and country, and start date and date
(or expected date) of graduation.
* Include the title and short summary of your PhD Thesis and supervisor name (and Bachelor / Master Thesis if you did one)
* If you do not have yet received your PhD but will do soon, please include a tentative graduation date
* List of publications (authors, title, journal/conference name and date of publication). Provide a link in case of open access
* Name, affiliation and contact details of three referees
* Cover letter with motivations and topics of particular interest to the candidate (approx. 1 page)
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system.
Applications by Email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to
gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg…
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was
founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary
centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial
Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data
Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its
“international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact: Dr. Konstantinos Ntontin (email@example.com )
Apply here https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?ID=PSAFK026203F3VBQB7V7VV4I3&nPostingTargetId=116270&nPostingId=78882
DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Springer Nature Limited does not accept liability for any statements
made which are clearly the sender’s own and not expressly made on behalf of
Springer Nature Ltd or one of their agents.
Please note that Springer Nature Limited and their agents and affiliates do not
accept any responsibility for viruses or malware that may be contained in this
e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any).
Springer Nature Limited. Registered office: The Campus, 4 Crinan Street, London,
N1 9XW. Registered Number: 00785998 England.
Research Associate (Postdoc) In Metasurfaces And Phase Arrays Antenna Design For Millimeter Wave Applications, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 2 days ago
The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT) invites applications from highly motivated and outstanding researchers in the general area of antenna and metasurfaces design...
Research Associate (Postdoc) In Sdn/Nfv, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 2 days ago
The SIGCOM research group is headed by Prof. Symeon Chatzinotas, and mainly carries out research activities in the areas of signal processing for wireless communication systems, including satellit...
Lab Technician In Neuroimmunology Specialized In Crispr Cas9 Technology, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 2 days ago
The University of Luxembourg aspires to be one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities with a distinctly international and interdisciplinary character. It fosters the cross-fertilisation of ...
Associate Professor Position (Promotion Track) In Neuroimmunology With A Focus On Neuroinflammation , University of Luxembourg ;, Luxembourg, 7 days ago
The University | About us... The University of Luxembourg aspires to be a world-class research university. It strives for excellence in both fundamental and applied research, and in education. It ...
Scienteens Lab Team Member For Physics Outreach, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 4 days ago
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 s...
Research Associate (Postdoc) In 3 D Computer Vision, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 2 days ago
Applications, written in English should be submitted online and should include: Curriculum Vitae (including your contact address, work experience, publications, etc.) Contact information for 3 ref...