The National Food Institute at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) invites applications for a position as Tenure Track Researcher in Food Microbiology and Hygiene.
You will join the Research Group for Food Microbiology and Hygiene, where our mission is to conduct research that contributes to healthy and safe food. Core to our research are studies of the fate and transport of biological agents through the food production chain from farm to fork with emphasis on the effect of intervention and processing strategies. By joining our Research Group, you would gain access to our excellent laboratory facilities that enable experimental research with prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell cultures, Class 2 pathogens and GMO at levels 1 and 2.
Responsibilities and qualifications
As a researcher in our team, you will be involved in developing and executing innovative research projects that target gaps in our knowledge of the microbiology of new types of food, food ingredients, processing techniques or hygiene interventions. Also, you will contribute to the science based advice service that our Institute is contracted to give to the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration (DVFA) to support their handling of the food legislation. You will also participate in our teaching activities, which include courses for engineering students.
Specifically you will be expected to:
- Plan, execute and analyze monitoring, intervention and/or challenge studies to determine the survival of foodborne pathogens in the food production chain
- Characterize the microbiota using a suitable mixture of culture dependent and independent techniques
- Analyze sequencing data (whole genome and/or metagenomes)
- Conduct world-class research in food microbiology and hygiene
- Exchange scientific knowledge and collaborate with colleagues
- Publish results in international scientific journals
- Provide science based advice for DFVA and other public institutions
- Participating in teaching and supervision of B.Eng., M.Sc.Eng. and Ph.D. students
You must contribute to the teaching of courses. You will be expected to learn Danish and be able to teach in Danish after 3 years. DTUcan provide Danish language courses.
As formal qualification you must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) in the area of food microbiology/food hygiene and have solid insight in food production from farm to fork. Knowledge and experience in working with international or national competent authorities in the area of food safety is desirable. Completion of a postdoc in relevant research areas is also an asset. Priority will be given to applicants with documented experience in the following areas:
- Food microbiology (microbial ecology, challenge experiments, microbiology in food systems, foodborne biological hazards)
- Food hygiene (surveillance of hygiene, assessment of sanitation, biocides and/or novel interventions)
- Analysis of next generation sequencing data (e.g., QIIME2, CLC Genomics workbench, CGE tools)
- Systematic approach to project work and planning
- Good collaborative and networking skills
- Good English communication skills, orally as well as written
- Ability to communicate and teach in Danish will be considered essential for this position due to the collaboration with the DVFA
You will be assessed against theresponsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Research experience
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research vision and potential
- International impact and experience
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The salary for the position will be determined by the applicant’s qualifications and in agreement with the relevant union. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the Ministerial Order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities .
You can read more about career paths at DTU here .
Starting date is April 1, 2022 or according to mutual agreement.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Lisbeth Truelstrup Hansen, tel.: +45 35886278 (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Head of Division, Dorte Lau Baggesen, tel +45 (email@example.com )
You can read more about the National Food Institute and the Research Group at www.food.dtu.dk
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark .
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 10 January 2022(Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Vision for teaching and research for the tenure track period
- CV including employment history, list of publications, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/ )
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Experience (if any) in working with an international or national competent food safety authority
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact us for information on our research strategy and current university courses to facilitate the development of suitable visions for teaching and research within the tenure track period.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 12,900 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
211 0408/22 2 E Associate Professor In Food Quality Control By On Line Spectroscopy, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
Associate Professor in Food Quality Control by On-line Spectroscopy Department of Food Science Faculty of Science University of Copenhagen (UCPH FOOD) The Department of Food Science at the Univers...
Senior Researcher In Green Fuels , Technical University of Denmark ;, Denmark, 10 days ago
At DTU Civil and Mechanical Engineering, section of Fluid Mechanics, Coastal and Maritime Engineering, we are looking for a Senior researcher in the field of Green Fuels for the maritime industry....
Assistant Professor In Molecular Microbiology, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Introduction To strengthen and complement the research profile of the Microbiology Research Theme of the Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences (SILS), we are looking for an outstanding researche...
211 0125/22 2 N Tenure Track Assistant Professor In Food Quality Control By On Line Spectroscopy, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
Tenure-track Assistant Professor in Food Quality Control by On-line Spectroscopy Department of Food Science Faculty of Science University of Copenhagen (UCPH FOOD) The Department of Food Science a...
211 0407/22 2 E Associate Professor Of Consumer Behaviour, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 19 days ago
Associate Professor of Consumer Behaviour Department of Food Science Faculty of Science University of Copenhagen The Department of Food Science at the University of Copenhagen (UCPH FOOD) invite...
211 0407/22 2 E Associate Professor Of Consumer Behaviour, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
Associate Professorof Consumer Behaviour Department of Food Science Faculty of Science University of Copenhagen The Department of Food Science at the University of Copenhagen (UCPH FOOD) invites a...