Apply no later than 11 May 2017
Apply for the job at DTU Bioengineering by completing the following form.
The Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (DTU Bioengineering) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) invites applications for a position as Associate Professor in Analytical Natural Product Chemistry. DTU Bioengineering contributes to research, development and education within Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biomanufacturing and Bioinformatics. The new Assoc. Professor will be affiliated with the Section for “Microbiology and Chemical Ecology”, one of 3 sections at the Department. DTU Bioengineering. The section currently employs approx. 50 people, including 10 faculty members. The department has a strong standing in microbial biodiversity, fermentation, biochemistry and novel methods for genetic modification of cell factories, with a strong focus on discovery, engineering and analysis of bacterial and fungal secondary metabolites.
Responsibilities and tasks
The position involves research, teaching, and mentoring at BSc, MSc and PhD levels.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Secure research funding from Danish, European or other international funding agencies.
- Collaborate closely with research groups within the department and with other DTU departments, such as DTU Chemistry, DTU Biosustain and DTU Food as well as with research groups at other universities both nationally and internationally
The successful candidate should be an ambitious and productive researcher at the forefront of research within small bioactive molecule analytics, especially in microbial secondary metabolites, but a broader experience in other fields such as cellular components, toxins, pharmaceuticals and innovation is also desirable. Candidates with a track record indicating that in the future they will be aiming for full professorships will be preferred.
Additional preferred requirements include:
- Documented research within advanced mass spectrometry, several types of chromatography, derivatization techniques, as well as advanced data-analysis methods for microbial secondary metabolites and their biosynthesis.
- Experience in trace analysis for environmental studies including sample-preparation techniques for challenging matrices such as soil, seawater, food and feed.
- Documented original scientific production at an international level and the ability to develop analytical natural product chemistry as a research field in the future.
- The ability to take lead in experimental research in analytical chemistry, characterization of intracellular and secondary metabolism, stable isotope labelling techniques, metabolomics including lipidomics, and biomarker discovery.
- Significant and well-documented experience in teaching and research supervision.
- Experience in teaching, coordinating and developing new courses.
- hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship
- document didactic/pedagogic training
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- experience in teaching and education
- scientific production and research potential at an international level
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation
Consideration will also be given to a person with:
- the ability to lead and develop a research team.
- a track record of securing external research funding.
- ability to teach subjects in analytical chemistry, mass spectrometry and chromatography, sample preparation, advanced data analysis.
- experience with innovation activities.
- the ability to develop new analytical methods and applications for the analysis of microbial secondary metabolites for applications within the section and department
- visions within the research area.
- ability to attract projects from industry
Salary and appointment terms
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Department Bjarke Bak Christensen, +45 3066 4233.
You can read more about Department of Biotechnology and Bioengineering on www.bioengineering.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 11 May 2017
Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/ )
- Documentation of teaching experience (e.g. in the form of a teaching portfolio)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The Department of Biotechnology and Biomedicine (DTU Bioengineering) conducts research, educates future bio-engineers, provides scientific advice and innovate within the areas of microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology and biomedicine. The research at DTU Bioengineering is at the highest international level and focuses on the societal and scientific challenges within the field. Research is conducted within three main areas: Microbial ecology and physiology, Industrial biotechnology and cell factories, and Biomedicine and health. The department has extensive collaboration with national and international research units and industries. DTU Bioengineering has approx. 150 employees, of which 2/3 is scientific staff. The department is located at DTU Lyngby Campus.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Senior Research Specialist Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory (Job Id #85137), University of Illinois, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Knowledge & Skills, Education, Experience Bachelor’s degree science, biotechnology, biology, or bio-chemistry required, Master’s degree in science, biotechnology, biology, or bio-chemistry pre...
Data Scientist Til Udvikling Metoder Til Analyse Af Enkelt Celle Rna Sekventerings Data, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 3 days ago
Data scientist position in single cell transcriptomics The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen Background ...
Research Engineer In Biotechnology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 23 days ago
The Department of Medicine, Solna, is one of the largest departments at Karolinska Institutet. The department consists of several units that are separated into different research groups. The core ...
Lab Manager, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 3 days ago
Institutionen för odontologi finns vid KI Campus Flemingsberg och utbildar tandläkare och tandhygienister. Vi bedriver dessutom forskning, specialistutbildning och patientvård utförd av specialist...
Assistant Professor, Colorado State University, United States, about 13 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Detail Information Working Title Assistant Professor Posting Number 201700281F Proposed Annual Salary Range Commensurate with experience and qualifications. Position Type F...
Postdoc In Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Based Cell Therapy In Type 1 Diabetes At The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center For Stem Cell Biology (Dan Stem), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 3 days ago
Background: The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Stem Cell Biology – DanStem has been established as a result of a series of international recruitments coupled with internationally recognized re...