The Bandim Health Project (BHP), Department of Clinical Research , Faculty of Health Sciences , University of Southern Denmark (SDU) is hiring an assistant professor.
The position is limited to 3 years with the possibility of extension.
Research and teaching
The main tasks of the assistant professor will be research and research-based teaching, including exams.
BHP is a Danish-African collaboration with a focus on studying the overall effects of health interventions, especially the effect of vaccines.
We are a small research unit at the University of Southern Denmark, which is part of the collaboration with BHP in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa. We are scientifically very productive with around 60 scientific articles published each year.
The unit is physically located at the National Institute of Public Health, Studiestræde, Copenhagen.
You will refer to the head of the unit, Professor Christine Stabell Benn.
The position includes the following primary tasks:
- Research into the non-specific effects of vaccines – both by analyzing existing data (such as the research station's data or existing register data from Denmark and other countries) and helping to provide new data, either from other sources or by conducting new randomized or observational studies
- Capacity building of researchers at the field station in Africa - through concrete collaborations, sparring and possibly courses
- Collaborative partner/support function for the department's other researchers – our articles are always created in broad author groups
- Application for funding – you will be expected to apply for funds for your own studies and also try to apply for your own salary
- Contribution to teaching at the Department of Clinical Research
The candidate who is hired must complete a Lecturer Training Programme during the period of employment.
Expectations of qualifications
Hiring requires scientific qualifications at PhD level according to the ministerial order on job structure for academic staff at universities .
Danish language skills are not required initially, however, should be mastered within the first 2 years of employment.
We place great emphasis on commitment and qualifications.
- That you are an independently working researcher
- Experience of working in Africa or other low-income areas
- Experience with capacity building
- Documented success with fund applications
- Good collaboration skills
Knowledge of the Portuguese language will be a great advantage.
Further information about the position can be obtained from Professor Christine Stabell Benn, firstname.lastname@example.org , phone: +45 25883964 or from the Head of the Department of Clinical Research, SDU, Kirsten Ohm Kyvik (e-mail: KKyvik@health.sdu.dk , phone: +45 6011 3046).
Salary and terms of employment
The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations).
Applications will be assessed by an expert committee. Applicants will be informed of their assessment by the university.
Applications – including the required attachments – must be sent electronically via the below-mentioned link “Apply online". Only online applications will be accepted and assessed. Attached files must be Adobe PDF or Word format. Each field in the application form can contain up to max. 10 MB.
Only applications written in English will be accepted for evaluation.
The application must include (as PDF- or docx-files):
- A motivation letter
- A CV
- Copies of certificates/diplomas including evidence of acquisition of a PhD degree or equivalent
- A complete and numbered list of peer-reviewed publications
- The 3 scientific, peer-reviewed publications that the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment of his or her scientific qualifications. (Please note that one PDF or docx file must be attached for each publication).
- A Teaching portfolio
- A research plan, including an account of own research and a vision for future research
- An explanation of other qualifications relevant to the post.
Incomplete applications, which do not meet the above-mentioned requirements, will not be assessed.
See also the faculty's guidance for applicants at the link below.
Applications may be shortlisted.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Living and Working in Denmark
Foreign applicants will be offered Danish language training as part of the employment. The International Staff Office (ISO) at SDU provides a variety of services for new employees, guests and people who consider applying for a job at the University of Southern Denmark. Among other things, the staff answers questions concerning salary , taxation , housing and accompanying family . For further information on what it is like working at SDU, please read “10 good reasons why you should choose SDU” . Additional information about working in Denmark can be found at Work in Denmark .
Guide for applicants
Place of work
Ph.D. Position In Applicability Of Parameter And State Estimation Using Modulating Functions, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 21 days ago
9 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Southern Denmark Department Faculty of Engineering Research Field Engineering » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) C...
Professor Positions At Sdu Center For Energy Informatics, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 28 days ago
2 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Southern Denmark Department Faculty of Engineering Research Field Engineering » Other Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Count...
Project Manager For Project Onboard Denmark, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 12 hours ago
We are looking for a project manager to coordinate the research, digital tool testing and implementation of Project Onboard Denmark (POD), led by the Department of Sociology at KU, funded by the I...
Assistant Or Associate Professor In Multi Body Dynamics And Simulation, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 23 days ago
8 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Southern Denmark Department Faculty of Engineering Research Field Engineering » Other Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Count...
Associate Professor In Solid Mechanics, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 23 days ago
8 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Southern Denmark Department Faculty of Engineering Research Field Engineering » Mechanical engineering Researcher Profile Leading Rese...
Associate Professor In Control Engineering, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 23 days ago
8 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Southern Denmark Department Faculty of Engineering Research Field Engineering » Control engineering Researcher Profile Leading Researc...