This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates.
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
This position is responsible for hiring and scheduling contractors, expediting material and supply orders required for maintenance and construction projects, collaborating with trade suppliers on invoicing, acting as the lead trades representative in contract evaluations directed by UofA Supply Management Services, product availability research as requested by Trades leaders, and managing day-to-day vendor relationships and product demonstrations.
Planning & Coordination
- Works together with the Construction Superintendent in coordinating the hiring of contractors, and coordinates the assignment of prime contractor
- Leads in the hiring of trade contractors to assist with the completion of architectural, mechanical,and electrical work to meet AMO maintenance and project initiatives and objectives
- Orders specialty materials and supplies for architectural, mechanical, and electrical trades
- Tracks and expedites material and equipment supply orders
- Develops and executes comprehensive inventory management plan for all trades' shops, and the tool crib including annual and periodic inventory reconciliations
- Leads in relationship building with all trade’s vendors, manages their interaction with trades leaders
- Seeks out new vendors and contractors to work with at the UofA on behalf of the Trades
- Maintains price lists for commodities and equipment
- Assists with invoice approvals and year end reconciliations
- Ensures materials and tools are Code compliant
- Manages database of Material Safety Data Sheets and distributes to trades product users and provides WHMIS data sheets for all chemicals used by trades
- Reports on Key Performance Indicators as established by management
- Provides input and makes suggestions on new Key Performance Indicators
- Leads a continuous improvement process within their area of responsibility, implements LEAN methodologies
- Reports on annual material, equipment, and tool acquisition for budget development purposes
- Advises trades leaders on material and equipment delivery dates
Supervision & Team Leadership
- Works with the Construction Superintendent and other AMO trades leaders on implementing F&O’s safety program and maintaining safety and record-keeping requirements
- Effectively communicates with team and contractors, to ensure that performance, productivity, quality, and safety requirements are met
- Leads by empowering their team members
- Fosters attitudes of inclusiveness within their team as well as within the larger trades group
- Demonstrates a high level of accountability for budgets, quality, client satisfaction, stakeholder involvement, team development, safety, training, team performance, and workflow prioritization
- Leads monthly Logistics safety meetings
- Demonstrates leadership and provides direction to staff in the areas of contractor management, inventory management, hazardous material abatement, contract review and execution
- Remains current with changing technology in the contractor management and inventory management industry practices
- Leads the development of business process flows related to this shop
- Must possess a post-secondary degree or diploma in a recognized program of study related to procurement, inventory management, and/or contract management
- Bachelor’s degree in business management is considered an asset
- 5 to 10 years in experience in procurement, inventory management, receiving, expediting, and contract management preferably in a commercial construction setting
- 3 to 5 years in supervisory capacity is required
- Proficiency with enterprise solutions employed by the University of Alberta, such as Google business suite (Gmail, Drive, Doc’s, Sheets, etc.) and Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is required
- Working knowledge of the Alberta OHS Act, and WHMIS
- Proficiency with enterprise solutions employed by the University of Alberta such as Asset Works, AiM (computerized maintenance management system) will be an asset
- Working knowledge of contractor responsibilities
- Understanding of quality management principles
- Strong documentation skills and attention to detail
- Excellent ability to research, source, and negotiate pricing and delivery dates with suppliers
- Strong organizational, and critical thinking skills
- Experience in Lean principles is considered an asset
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Asm Apiculture , Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand, about 21 hours ago
Full Time Application Closes 03 Jul 2021 Bay of Plenty - Rotorua First-Line Supervisors and Manager/Supervisors - Horticultural Workers Academic Staff Member (ASM) Apiculture Full Time (1.0) FTE -...
Sustainable Sorption Heat Pumps For Residential Applications, KU Leuven, Belgium, 10 days ago
Thisproject is focused on adsorption heat pumps (AHP) in renewable heatingapplications. The project aims at overcoming the existing barriers to introducethese systems on the market by finding a go...
Research Engineer Mechanical And Industrial Engineering (Job Id #146538), University of Illinois, United States, about 24 hours ago
BS (MS and PhD level are considered too) in Mechanical, Materials, Electrical or Chemical Engineering Minimum 2-3yrs relevant experience Experience in battery electrical and safety testing require...
Subject Matter Expert, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Job Profile Teaching - Subject Matter Expert Contract Type Permanent Job Purpose The role primarily involves producing training material for use on accountancy and tax courses. This includes creat...
Course Lecturer – Phil 306 001 – Fall 2021, McGill University, Canada, 21 days ago
Department of Economics Faculty of Arts McGill University Courses with 150 students or more will be offered by remote teaching. (Please see Disclaimer) Fall 2021 Course Lecturer Position Deadline ...
Researcher In Pomology For The Fruit Production Program (Ref. 4121/21), IRTA, Spain, 7 days ago
IRTA is currently seeking a Researcher in Pomology, focused on fruit development and orchard management. The Researcher will apply these topics to create strategies for optimal fruit production by...