This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of 13 months and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page .
Location: This role is hybrid with a mix of remote and in-person and work primarily takes place at North Campus Edmonton.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
College of Health Sciences.
Reporting to the Senior Partner, the Communications Lead works with a team of communications professionals, as well as staff in academic units, to lead, plan and deliver communications, marketing, digital and creative strategies for the College of Health Sciences. This role will act as a project manager for supporting the College of Health Sciences communications and marketing team, as well as a liaison to ensure the college and faculties are strategically connected to the Centres of Expertise and key university units.
In all facets of this role, the Communications Lead endeavors to integrate and advance the University’s commitments to equity, diversity and inclusivity.
- In close alignment with the senior partner and faculty partners, ensuring that the College of Health Sciences communications, marketing, digital, and creative strategies are articulated at the faculty level and integrated into one College plan, and that all work aligns with the strategic direction of the External Relations portfolio.
- Ensuring strategies and objectives are drilled down into operating plans, and leading the day-to-day allocation of incoming tasks and assignment of work to ensure unit success.
- Developing and/or implementing strategies and key messages to enhance the reputation, heighten the awareness, address multiple audiences, and deliver a coherent and unified message to internal and external audiences.
- Providing website updates and strategic insights, specifically for the college website(s)
- Keeping aware of relevant issues and trends that could affect the area’s brand and reputation, and advising partners on reputational risks and implications of current or proposed actions.
- Providing strategic support to other communicators and leaders within the college (faculty, department staff, research institutes and units).
- In partnership with faculty partners, acting as a key point of contact for issues management planning and rapid response messaging for the assigned area(s) to deal with critical events as they arise, working closely with Centres of Expertise.
- Promoting a positive image of both the assigned area and the University by ensuring the coverage of important news stories, funding announcements, student/faculty/staff/alumni/donor profiles, research discoveries, partnerships and philanthropic support which highlight the area’s research, teaching or other service to the community.
- Acting as editor support for all unit-level communication mediums. Writes, edits and/or reviews communications materials (e.g. articles, speeches, faculty/area publications).
- Supporting the Centres of Expertise with story sourcing, content production, campaign, events and other initiatives as required.
- Representing area on university committees and working groups.
- Leading editorial planning for specific channels and audiences by completing audience and channel research, soliciting and generating content, assessing performance and providing recommendations related to trends and best practices.
- Recommending, developing, and maintaining channels (social media, websites, newsletters, blogs, etc.) to ensure we target the appropriate university audiences in the right way and with the right approach.
- Soliciting creative content from staff, faculty and contractors. Editing and promoting content.
- Regularly monitoring channel metrics and delivering reporting to expert and non-expert audiences.
- Developing communications content, which can include but is not limited to presentations, speeches, monthly newsletters, news stories, web content, talking points, correspondence, website content, and marketing copy.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-5 years of experience in a communications, marketing or journalism in a complex organization
- Expertise in multi-stakeholder communication
- Deep understanding of all communication channels
- Solid commitment to consultation, collaboration and communication
- Strong background in leading complex projects and project management
- High degree of professionalism and judgment
- Strong research, communication skills
- Solid understanding of academic culture, the university’s policies and procedures and its organizational structure
- Ability to translate strategic priorities into actionable communications and marketing plans.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and meet and manage client expectations.
- Solid understanding of editorial strategy, internal communications, issues management, and social / media management.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Senior Public Relations Manager, SINGAPORE UNIVERSITY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES, United Kingdom, about 1 month ago
Short Description This position will work closely with the Director to refine and strengthen our communications infrastructure to protect our University’s reputation, market positioning and growth...
Officer, Public Policy Hub Communication, The Public Policy Hub, Grant Position, American University in Cairo, Egypt, about 8 hours ago
Reports to: Principal Investigator & Director, Public Policy Hub Purpose : The job holder should work under the framework of the school’s communications strategy. He/ she should support the schoo...
Director Of Communications, Gsas, Harvard University, United States, 2 days ago
29-Mar-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 61817BR Job Summary Exciting opportunity to lead a high performing team in promoting the work of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) and advanc...
Coordinator Of Marketing & Communication R101045, University of Louisville, United States, about 5 hours ago
Department: Dean's Office Location: Belknap Campus Time Type: Full time Worker Type: Regular Job Req ID: R101045 Minimum Requirements: Bachelor's degree in related field and three years of related...
Assistant Director Of Development, Direct Response Marketing, Faculty Of Arts And Sciences, Harvard University, United States, 4 days ago
27-Mar-2023 Alumni Affairs and Development 61845BR Job Summary Alumni Affairs and Development is a dedicated team supporting Harvard’s advancement activity through front-line fundraising, alumni a...
Associate Director, Bus Marketing Communication, School Of Business, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 5 days ago
Reports to: Senior Director for External Relations Purpose: The job holder is responsible for enhancing awareness of the school's impact, programs and centers locally and internationally, and pr...