Located at Enterprise Square in downtown Edmonton, TEC Edmonton is a joint venture of the University of Alberta and Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC) to accelerate Technology, Entrepreneur & Company Development. For further information, please visit www.tecedmonton.com .
Early-stage technology-based companies are a large contributor to the economic vitality of a community. They provide highly skilled employment opportunities, reinvest in research at post- secondary institutions and buy supplies and services locally. However, start-up technology-based companies often require hands-on assistance in bridging the gap between a research and development mind-set and a business perspective. These companies often require assistance in articulating viable business models, developing market entry strategies and business plans, attracting management talent, accessing financial support and networking with the private sector.
TEC Edmonton has an immediate opening for a Business Development Associate specializing in physical sciences and engineering. This position will provide assistance to early-stage companies across a variety of sectors, including but not limited to oil & gas services, chemical & materials, environment & building technologies, measurement & instrumentation, and clean technology. This position will provide support to TEC Edmonton’s Business Development group and to early-stage technology companies, entrepreneurs and inventors by providing detailed market research and analysis, strategic advisory and other business development support. The successful candidate will analyze research findings and develop recommendations based on those findings, as well as potentially play a role in implementing recommendations and supporting clients as they transition from concept to investment- and market-ready companies.
- Collecting and analyzing market, industrial, financial and economic information to assist in the development of appropriate business strategies for technology clients
- Conducting primary in-person and telephone interviews with potential customers, suppliers, competitors and industry experts
- Working with companies to develop optimal commercialization strategies
- Analyzing findings and producing written reports to support research
- Formulating strategic business recommendations
- Assisting clients in developing business plans, marketing plans and investor information packages
- Participating in client meetings to discuss findings and recommendations
- Liaising with funding agencies (public and private) in order to understand their requirements and strategic direction; supporting companies in the preparation of presentation to funding agencies
- Undergraduate degree in physical sciences, engineering, computer sciences or business; MBA preferred; equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
- 2-4 years of experience in market analysis or industry would be beneficial; relevant experience in business, physical sciences, engineering, web-based, software and mobile technology sectors would be an asset
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work independently, manage multiple concurrent projects and be well organized
- Demonstrated ability to act decisively and work with a variety of teams and clients
In accordance with the Sessional and Other Temporary Staff agreement, this position has an initial appointment of one year, with the possibility of renewal, offers a comprehensive benefits package found at www.hrs.ualberta.ca and annual salary commensurate with education and experience.
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and arrangements made for three confidential letters of reference to be provided upon request. Although this position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, please submit your application by September 8, 2017.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Associate Director Life Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 4 hours ago
Associate Director Life Sciences - 0096G Description In this role you will manage a portfolio of University-owned life sciences inventions and support intellectual property development, protection...
Faculty, Geosciences, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Location AE Organization Name College of Science, Geosciences About University The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Techn...
Technology Manager (Life Sciences), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 4 hours ago
Technology Manager (Life Sciences) - 0096H Description In this role you will manage a portfolio of University-owned life sciences inventions and support intellectual property development, protecti...
Enterprise Business Analyst (G366 18 Ca), Massey University, New Zealand, 6 days ago
Information Technology Services, Finance and Technology Are you a strategic partner who enjoys educating the business on what is possible, and propose solutions that will convert strategic goals i...
Director, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Location AE Organization Name Communications & Business Development About University The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and...
Business Developer/Project Manager In Biomedical Optical Technology, Institute of Photonic Sciences, Luxembourg, about 13 hours ago
ICFO is searching for a well-qualified, highly motivated and dynamic business developer/project manager with a background in engineering and/or biomedicine, in particular in the field of biomedica...