This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has an end date of one year from the date of hire.
Working at the University
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University is home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and has been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Reporting to the Supervisor Amii Administration, the Business Analyst works in collaboration with the administrative team at the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii) on campus. This role oversees the financial transactions across all sources including special grants and contracts for Amii Fellows within their portfolios across the faculties and service units. This role ensures that budgetary commitments and liabilities are monitored and managed through the forecasting and reporting process. The incumbent provides financial analysis and advice to key stakeholders and ensures streamlined report layouts, templates, and documented guidelines for the various reporting requirements.
The analyst is accountable for monitoring financial controls and ensuring that financial activities’ within the Amii Centre’s research accounts are maintained according to the University policy and the Amii’s guidelines. This role provides assurance that any anomalies are investigated and brought to the attention of supervisor and budget holders.
The analyst works closely with the supervisor to develop customized multi-segmented general ledger budget documents, reports, and processes for multiple funds, and unit budgets. The analyst provides independent advice, recommends improvements, identifies issues, creates solutions based on analysis and assists in training Amii Fellows and other stakeholders in these areas.
- Develops Amii consolidated budgets for the Fellows, AI Chairs and Affiliate Chairs;
- Prepares financial reports and financial analysis for the Fellows, AI Chairs and Amii for eventual distribution to various internal and external stakeholders;
- Designs financial queries, reporting tools, and analytical methods to achieve financial goals;
- Identifies and advises supervisor of opportunities to improve processes, using technology to improve accountability, quality and timeliness of reporting;
- Provides advice to the Fellows regarding funding sources, options, and implications of budget overages, surpluses, and provides options for resolution;
- Monitors budgetary expenditure authority, communicates issues to the supervisor;
- Advises of reporting issues, budget/forecast variances and provides recommendations for resolution;
- Creates forecasting processes, including forecast documents, templates and designing forecasting tools and guidelines for the Centre;
- Assists the supervisor in annual planning and reporting to external stakeholders and granting agencies;
- Reconciles accounts for errors and anomalies; identifies sources of errors and recommends action to resolve. Interprets and implements audit policies and procedures;
- Advises the supervisor of risks, internal control or reporting issues, budget variances and provides recommendations for resolution and/or resolves independently;
- Anticipates stakeholder needs and proactively addresses concerns;
- Interprets University financial management policies and communicates/advises supervisor;
- Coaches and co-supervises junior team members on finance-related projects to ensure accuracy and provides feedback and training if necessary;
- Completes ad hoc reporting and financial requests, and projects as assigned.
- Four (4) year degree required in the field of Accounting or Finance or Business Administration and/or equivalent; working towards CPA designation will be an asset;
- Minimum 5 years of related experience in enterprise financial environment, including experience with budgeting, financial operations, forecasting, reporting and analysis; experience in a post-secondary environment will be an asset;
- Understanding of GAAP (Generally accepted accounting principles), fund accounting;
- Thorough working knowledge of budgetary controls and budget concepts; must understand and apply forecasting principles;
- Strong relationship building skills and judgment;
- Research skills, ability to interpret and present information, data and ideas accurately and comprehensively; ability to communicate complex financial concepts in clear, precise language to both financial experts and laymen;
- Superior computer skills including expertise using Microsoft applications (MS Office) and Goggle platform and other platforms associated with financial management and administration;
- Experience with PeopleSoft (Financials, HCM) will be an asset;
- Strong organization, accuracy, attention to detail and problem solving skills;
- Ability to prioritize conflicting tasks effectively;
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt in a rapidly changing environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and encouraging an environment of cooperation, collaboration, respect and integrity;
- Experience with University of Alberta policies and processes; knowledge of research policies, procedures and guidelines for major sponsors and the UAlberta are an asset.
Please note that a cover letter is required for this position. A cover letter and CV should be submitted as one attachment.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. The review of applications will begin on July 25 and will continue until a suitable candidate is found.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Officer, Budget Management, Budget And Financial Planning, American University in Cairo, Egypt, about 19 hours ago
Reports to: Manager, Budget Management Purpose: Under the supervision of the manager, the job holder will examine and identify variances and/ or deviations from financial plans. Also, conduct res...
Accountant, Arizona State University, United States, about 6 hours ago
86113BR Campus: Tempe Accountant Job Description Financial Services seeks an Accountant who: will act as an accounting liaison with Academic and Administrative departments within the University wi...
Finance Manager, McGill University, Canada, 7 days ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Associate Budget Analyst, University of Arkansas, United States, 11 days ago
Current University of Arkansas System employees including student employees and graduate assistants need to log into Workday on My Apps. Simply enter "Find Jobs" in the Workday search bar to view ...
Project Manager, Tria Fo R (Grant Funded Opportunity), Carleton University, Canada, about 9 hours ago
Job Number: J1022-0805 Job Title: Project Manager, TRIA-FoR (Grant-Funded Opportunity) Job Type: Grant Appointment Department: Biology Job Category: Research Number of Positions: 1 Date Posted (dd...
Business And Operations Officer, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, 20 days ago
Job Purpose The role of the Business and Operations Coordinator is to provide support for the budget and operations across the Admissions and Student Recruitment Teams. Working closely with releva...