Department: Product Development
The Department of Product Development in the Faculty of Design Sciences has the following full-time vacancy:
Senior academic staff in the field of Design for Behaviour
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in user-centered design and design for behaviour.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. The courses you will teach may include User-centered design’ (Ba3-5 ECTS), partime psychology and practicum usability and the course ‘design for interaction (Partim ‘design for behaviour’- module 2,MA2). In addition, you will include part of the guidance in various design projects in Bachelor and master Product Development from a usability and user- centered perspective ( bachelor’s thesis, design for interaction,…) The teaching assignment will later also be extended to other courses of the faculty (eg interior architecture), with a focus on the interaction between behavior and spatial design.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations. Initially as a co-supervisor for master's theses on integral product development. That can later evolve into the role of promoter
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the field of integral product development (design and psychology), in particular on the theme of ‘design for behaviour’. You go deeper into the cognitive and emotional interaction between user and product/service/space from a behavioural perspective.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PHD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in the field of psychology or equivalent.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies . You have established an excellent research portfolio.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision . You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations .
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You can demonstrate from you experience or research plan that you are interested in or have affinity with the interface between product development / design and psychology. Experience with the integration of cognitive and psychological factors in the product development process is recommended.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (lecturer, senior lecturer, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track lecturer for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as a senior lecturer. Appointment as a senior lecturer or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff.
- The planned start date is September 1, 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at city campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including February 16, 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP , (3) your academic CV, (4) your researchplan.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Alexis Jacoby, email@example.com, 03/205 61 72.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Senior Academic Staff Political Economy Of The Media, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 4 hours ago
Department: Department of Communication Studies Regime Full-time The Department of Communication Sciences in the Faculty of Social Sciences has the following full-time vacancy: Senior academic sta...
Lecturer (Tenure Track) / Associate Professor Circular Building And Eco Design, Hasselt University, Belgium, about 2 hours ago
The Faculty of Architecture and Arts of Hasselt University seeks a (m/f) lecturer (tenure track) / associate professor Circular building and eco-design (65%) Background This vacancy seeks for stre...
Head Of Sustainable Solutions, Aalto University, Findland, about 4 hours ago
Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovativ...
Dtu Tenure Track Researcher In Aligned Digital Design And Manufacturing, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 20 hours ago
Traditionally product decisions and manufacturing decisions have been handled separately both in research and in industry. There are however significant benefits of aligning them such as reduced i...
Embedded Fpga Engineer, Mälardalen University (MDH), Sweden, 9 days ago
You will be part of Unibap’s engineering team to develop our solutions for our current customer as well as the future ones. Your focus will be to participate in design, development, and maintenanc...
Assistant Professor In Design Of Sustainable Energy Systems, University of Twente (UT), Netherlands, 9 days ago
The Department of Design, Production and Management (DPM) of the Faculty of Engineering Technology aims at understanding and improving design and engineering processes. Focal points in this resear...