(ref. BAP-2023-73)Laatst aangepast : 1/02/2023
A postdoctoral position in the field of Spatial Biology is available at the KU Leuven Center of Human Genetics in the laboratory of Prof. Thierry Voet. You will join a multidisciplinary team that develops and applies single-cell and spatial (multi-)omics methodologies to investigate cellular heterogeneity in human development, ageing and disease biology. In addition to pioneering single-cell multi-omics measurements of dissociated single cells, the group of Prof. Voet is also establishing a comprehensive platform for spatial transcriptomics analyses. This enables studying single cells in their native tissue context by leveraging in situ imaging or sequencing of the cellular transcriptome without the need for prior tissue dissociation, allowing more detailed characterization of cell types and states, cellular architectures of tissues, cell-cell interactions, and functional cell niches. With extensive expertise in method development and implementation, assay automation, data analysis, and strong international connections (e.g. the Human Cell Atlas), the lab aims to answer key biological questions in health and disease with high impact and be at the forefront of the fast-evolving single-cell and spatial omics fields.
We are looking for a motivated postdoctoral researcher that can play a key role in the further development of our spatial transcriptomics research and platform. This person has a strong interest in technology, is eager to immerse themselves in the fields of single-cell and spatial biology, and wants to significantly contribute to biomedical research through undertaking projects and collaborations where these novel methodologies can be applied for a wide range of applications, including cancer research, neurobiology, human aging and development, with potential clinical translation. Importantly, depending on personal interests, a particular focus can be determined. Different spatial transcriptomics technologies have already been implemented and can be leveraged, including 10x Genomics Visium and Xenium, Molecular Instruments HCR-FISH, Resolve Biosciences Molecular Cartography and Vizgen MERSCOPE technology, in addition to MERFISH-based techniques that are being developed and optimized in-house.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Establishing, optimizing and applying protocols for spatial transciptomics assays
- Leading in experimental design, execution and coordination of projects requiring spatial omics
- Helping with data interpretation and playing a key role in publication of project results
- Generating novel ideas for biological applications, method development and scouting for novel technologies in the context of single-cell and/or spatial omics
- Reporting and communicating on scientific progress in meetings and participating in international conferences.
Knowledge, skills, and experience required:
- MSc in Bioscience Engineering or Biomedical Sciences with a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology/Biotechnology/Genetics/Genomics, or equivalent
- Experience with and in-depth knowledge of classical molecular biology techniques, including DNA, RNA and protein work
- Experience with implementing molecular biology protocols and designing experimental workflows
- Experience with and broad understanding of nucleic acid probe design, nucleic acid hybridization, fluorescence microscopy, next-generation sequencing methodologies and library construction methods
- Attention to detail, accurate working style and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within a group
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Evidence for productivity in a research setting such as publications, patents, etc.
- Experience with single-cell and/or spatial molecular biology work
- Experience with high throughput assays (e.g. liquid handling robots, microfluidics)
We are offering a postdoctoral position in an intellectually challenging environment with state-of-the art facilities. KU Leuven is a research intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. It is highly inter- and multidisciplinary focused and strives for international excellence. You will work in Leuven, a historic, dynamic and lively city located in the heart of Belgium, within 20 minutes from Brussels, the capital of the European Union, and less than two hours from Paris, London and Amsterdam.
We initially offer a 2-year position, with evaluation after the first year and potential for extension. We invite candidates to apply for (inter)national external funding.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Thierry Voet, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Katy Vandereyken, mail: email@example.com
We invite candidates to apply at their earliest convenience and not to wait until the deadline to make their application. It is possible that we close the vacancy earlier, once we have found the ideal candidate.
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
Erc Funded Postdoc Position In Brain Immunology And Microglia Engineering, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium, about 21 hours ago
The Faculteit Geneeskunde en Farmacie, Department Basis (bio)-medische wetenschappen, is looking for a postdoctoral researcher. More concretely your work package contains: The Movahedi lab at the ...
Research Fellow (Bioinformatics), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 25 days ago
Job Description The successful candidate will work with Dr Liu Boxiang on the development of novel computational models and the analysis of single-cell and spatial transcriptomics data. The main r...
Postdoc Position (E13) At The Leibniz Institute For Immunotherapy (Lit) With Flexible Starting Date (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 5 days ago
Postdoc position (E13) at the Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (LIT) with flexible starting date (m/f/d) The LIT - Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (foundation under civil law) (http://www.r...
Doctoral Researcher (F/Div/M) In T Cell Immunology, Leibniz, Germany, about 3 hours ago
The Leibniz Center for Photonics in Infection Research (LPI, www.lpi-jena.de ) is a project of the National Roadmap for Research Infrastructures of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (...
Research Assistant In Cell Biology And Biochemistry , University of Basel, Switzerland, 11 days ago
Research Assistant in Cell Biology and Biochemistry (100%) As of June 2023 or upon agreement The Biozentrum of the University of Basel is one of the leading Life Sciences Institutes in the world. ...
Postdoctoral Studies In Single Cell Analysis Of The Developing And Aging Peripheral Nervous System (Scholarship), Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 19 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Lallemend lab is looking for an ambitious postdoc with solid single-cell biology skills to join our highly accomplished team of neuro...