About the lab
The Functional Interactomics group, led by Prof. Geert De Jaeger at the VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology, is looking to recruit a postdoctoral researcher. The De Jaeger lab (https://www.psb.ugent.be/groups/functional_interactomics ) develops technology to map protein interaction networks, protein complexes, and their post-translational regulation. These tools are applied to better understand carbon and nitrogen signaling in relation to plant growth, stress resilience, and crop yield.
The Department of Plant Systems Biology (PSB) belongs to the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB) and the Ghent University (UGent), both equal-opportunity employers. PSB is a world-leading plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned Plant Biotech campus in the lovely and lively city of Ghent, Belgium. Its mission is to integrate genetics, genomics, and bio-computing to unravel plant biological processes and to further translate this knowledge into value for society. Please visit www.psb.ugent.be for more information.
Increased use of nitrogen (N) fertilizer and the selection of high-yield crops have sustained our growing world population. However, the associated environmental damage is high and N application needs to be restricted while maintaining yield. Despite significant progress in our understanding of nitrogen use efficiency, a strong yield penalty remains when N supply is limiting. To address this challenge, it is essential to obtain deeper molecular insight into how N is sensed and how low N restricts growth. Multiple studies have shown that N signaling is tightly coupled with carbon (C) levels, but how the interplay between C/N metabolism and growth is regulated remains an enigma. Nevertheless, there is a growing appreciation for the involvement of the TOR and SnRK1 kinases, two ancient master regulators that link nutrient sensing with growth.
The postdoc will be involved in this project with the aim of better understanding how TOR and SnRK1 are involved in regulating plant growth when C/N balance is disturbed. In previous years we have mapped the signaling networks around these two kinase complexes in relation to C and N availability. Through CRISPR screens we will now explore those networks for interesting new regulators of growth under limiting N supply. Finally, successful events will be selected for an in-depth molecular analysis exploring the function of the individual genes and their relation with plant growth, C/N assimilation, and TOR/SnRK1.
The postdoc will apply cutting-edge techniques in protein-protein interactions, gene editing, plant growth analysis, and microscopy.
- You have a Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bio-engineering, Plant Biotechnology, or equivalent.
- You have excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- You can plan and conduct research independently and accurately.
- You can function well in a team as you will be integrated into the international collaborative research environment.
- You can take initiative and have a hands-on mentality, perseverance, and critical mindset.
- You’re fascinated by plant nutrient signalling, growth regulation, and stress responses.
Desirable but not required
- Experience from previous research in nutrient signalling or plant phenotyping is an asset, as well as a publication record in peer-reviewed journals showing expertise in this area.
- Hands-on experience in functional gene analysis is an asset.
- Experience in the guidance of master and/or Ph.D. students is an asset.
- A full-time post-doc position in the De Jaeger lab for 2 years, with a possibility of extension
- Access to state-of-the-art tools and infrastructure within an excellence-based research institute
- A stimulating and supportive international research environment Various training opportunities to broaden your expertise and skills
If you are interested, please apply online (applications by email will not be considered).
Please include a single pdf in your application that combines the following elements:
- a detailed CV including a publication list
- a one-page summary of past research activities (e.g. in your PhD project)
- a letter describing your fascination for the topic
- the contact information of two referees
The first review of applications will start immediately. A shortlist of applicants will be selected and invited for interviews.
The position is available from September 2023 onwards. Applications are welcome until the position is filled.
Post Doc Researcher In Phytoplankton Ecology (F/M/X), Leibniz, Germany, 8 days ago
The Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB) cordially invites applications for the position of a researcher in phytoplankton ecology (f/m/x) The position in the Departme...
Research Assistant (Biological Sciences), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Job Description The National University of Singapore is looking for a Research Assistant to work in an ongoing research project investigating plant-microbe-environment associations. The applicant ...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Agricultural Science, Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra, Slovakia, 27 days ago
28 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra Research Field Agricultural sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Slovakia Appli...
Postdoctoral Researcher (M/F/D) In Molecular Crop Physiology , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 17 hours ago
19.09.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Bienert Lab is part of the TUM School of Life Sciences of the Technical University of Munich located in Freising-Weihenstephan. The main objective of th...
Research Fellow (Biological Sciences), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, Singapore, 14 days ago
9 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE Research Field Biological sciences Computer science Mathematics Physics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R...
Research Fellow (Biological Sciences), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Job Description The NUS Environmental Research Institute (NERI), a university-level research institute, National University of Singapore, is looking for a Research Fellow to work with Dr Darren Si...