Department: Center for Molecular Neurology
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The VIB-UAntwerp Center of Molecular Neurology is recruiting a postdoctoral research scientist (full-time, 100%) in the frame of the PostDoc Challenge program of the University of Antwerp. The envisaged project presents a methodological challenge to establish neuroimmune organoid models for application in the context of various neurodegenerative diseases.
Over the last decade, organoids emerged as an attractive middle ground between 2D cell cultures, which do not fully recapitulate the 3D environment and animal models, which pose technical and ethical limits. In particular, cerebral organoids are emerging as the next step in patient-derived in vitro models for both neurodevelopmental as well as neurodegenerative diseases. However, cerebral organoids have mostly been based on neuronal cells alone, while evidence increases that the role of non-neuronal types (microglia, astrocytes, endothelial cells) is critical in these conditions. Integration of these cell types will more closely mimic the in vivo cellular environment in health and disease and constitutes the major challenge of this project. The established neuroimmune organoid technology will find a wide range of applications as models for studying fundamental mechanisms underlying cellular biology and genetic pathophysiology as well as for efficient drug screening. The recruited postdoc would lead on this challenge and would be offered an opportunity to shape the application scope of the developed technology to advance the science of all research groups at the Center.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center is part of VIB, a Life Sciences institute and the University of Antwerp with colleague-researchers in cancer, biotechnology, structural biology, immunology amongst others and an extensive set of core facilities and opportunities for technology transfer. The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology has 6 PIs and hosts internationally recognized leaders in the field of Neurogenetics and Neuroinflammation. Current research groups address a broad set of questions related to neurodegenerative diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, with an emphasis on understanding the genetic aetiology and developing diagnostics and treatment methods for these diseases. Approaches range from human genetics and genomics to computational and systems biology, while models include yeast, fly, mouse, and pluripotent human cell systems. Research groups have access to state-of-the-art research and top-notch support core facilities and attract talented international scientists from across the world
- We are looking for a talented and highly motivated junior or senior postdoctoral researcher with a strong interest in technology development and neurodegenerative diseases.
- You hold a PhD in biomedical sciences, genetics, immunology or related disciplines (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work).
- demonstrable experience in working with organoid cultures
- single-cell data analysis skills are a plus
- scientific integrity and excellence, illustrated by a strong publication track record
- excellent communication and writing skills in English
What we offer
- We offer a full-time contract as a postdoctoral researcher or as a postdoctoral scholarship holder for a period of at least one year. The successful candidate is encouraged and guided in obtaining a personal fellowship (Marie-Curie, HFSP, EMBO, or national funding organizations)
- A versatile and challenging job in a vibrant, world-class research environment operating at an international level
- Access to state of the art infrastructure and core computing and experimental facilities
- Dedicated training programs available through VIB and UAntwerp to broaden your expertise and enhance your skill set
- A strong and dynamic network of international collaborators
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the Contract Research Staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP) or is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for postdoctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is June 1st 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- a motivation letter
- your academic CV
- contact details of two referees
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Postdoc Position Metabolism, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 23 days ago
Postdoc position metabolism Postdoc position metabolism Published Deadline Location today 6 Jun Utrecht We are seeking for a highly motivated candidate with a PhD to work on how metabolic changes ...
Job Opportunity: Postdoctoral Fellow, Neuroimmunology, Department Of Health And Human Services, Bethesda, Md, Vanderbilt University, United States, 2 days ago
Posted by Kate Stuart on Tuesday, May 9, 2023 in Job Opportunities . Postdoctoral Fellow in Neuroimmunology Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of He...
Postdoctoral Fellow Developmental And Stem Cell Biology, City of Hope, United States, 1 day ago
About City of Hope City of Hope's mission is to deliver the cures of tomorrow to the people who need them today. Founded in 1913, City of Hope has grown into one of the largest cancer research an...
Postdoc Position At The Leibniz Institute For Immunotherapy (Lit) (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 14 days ago
Postdoc position (E13) at the Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (LIT) with flexible starting date (m/f/d) The LIT - Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (foundation under civil law) (http://www.r...
Postdoctoral Position In Brain Tumor Biology And Cancer Stem Cells , University of Basel, Switzerland, 15 days ago
We offer you A stimulating research environment in an internationally renewed research team. The lab has extensive experience with conditional genetics, lineage tracing and mouse models of glioma....
Research Fellow, Human Genetics, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Job Description The successful candidate will work with Dr Liu Boxiang on single-cell sequencing under a project on single-cell sequencing of adipose from type-2 diabetes patients. The main respon...