Department: Department of Political Science
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-looking university. We offer innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, perform pioneering scientific research, and play an important role in society. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we build the world of tomorrow. You can help shape it.
The Politics & Public Governance research group of the Political Science Department is looking for a full-time (100%) Ph.D. researcher (48m).
You will be involved in a project funded by the Flemish Research Council that investigates rankings of public services, such as schools. We want to examine whether such rankings can enhance or weaken citizens' knowledge of and trust in public services. Moreover, we want to investigate how the presentation of such rankings (e.g. with added visual cues or symbols) can alter citizens’ interpretations. In this research, we work with innovative quantitative and experimental methods, including online and eye-tracker experiments. The project has significant ramifications for how governments should interact with citizens. You will do your research in a vibrant, leading research group in the field of public administration. In the Shanghai ranking of the academic discipline 'Public Administration,' the University of Antwerp ranks first in Belgium and twentieth worldwide.
The position includes the following assignments:
- You work on a Ph.D. on the impact of rankings of public services.
- You do the empirical research. You organize the data collection and do the analyses.
- You participate in the social valorization of the research results.
- You present your work in international academic networks and on international conferences.
- You write highly relevant publications for international scientific journals
- You take on a limited number of teaching duties in the political science department.
- You hold a Master's degree in social science: e.g., public administration, political science, sociology, socio-economic sciences, communication science, or education science. You can apply if you graduate this year.
- You are interested in the functioning of the government
- You are not afraid of numbers and are willing to train yourself in the programming language R
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English.
- You have good writing skills.
- You take an integer, creative, quality-oriented, and collaborative approach.
- You can plan and organize your work.
- You are socially competent and communicative.
What we offer
- We offer you a Ph.D. scholarship for four years.
- The foreseen start date is 1 September 2022.
- You will receive a monthly stipend as a doctoral researcher according to the pay scales (see: scholarship amount)
- You will be provided opportunities to train yourself in relevant academic skills (e.g. statistics and experimental methods) as well as soft skills, for instance by following dedicated courses
- You will work on the city campus in a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
- Read more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
How to apply?
- You can apply for this position until June 29, 2022 (by midnight Brussels time) via the online application platform of the University of Antwerp. Click on the button 'apply,' complete the online application form and make sure to attach the following documents: 1° a motivation letter; 2° your CV.
- The selection committee will review all applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. We will inform you about the possible next step(s) in the selection procedure as soon as we decide.
- For questions about the online application form, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions concerning the position or the project, please contact Wouter Van Dooren at email@example.com or Bjorn Kleizen at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University of Antwerp is a sustainable, family-friendly organization that invests in the growth of its employees. We encourage people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics to apply. We promote diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive work environment with equal opportunities - regardless of gender, disability, origin, philosophy of life, sexual orientation, or age.
Researcher In The Field Of Quantifying And Modelling Marine And Estuarine Ecosystem Services, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 15 days ago
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and pl...
Teaching & Research Assistant: Regional Supply Chains In Africas Great Lakes Region , Universiteit Antwerpen ;, Belgium, 21 days ago
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct...
Postdoctoral Fellow Nanocluster Deposition, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 14 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2022-604) Laatst aangepast : 7/08/2022 The Cluster research group in the Quantum Solid-state Physics (QSP) section at KU Leuven is seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral fellow for our ...
Researcher Technical And Economic Feasibility Of Innovative Technologies, VITO, Belgium, 26 days ago
As a Flemish, internationally recognised research centre, VITO aims to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. The Technological Economic Analysis (TEA) team of VITO assesses the economi...
Job Vacancy Scientific Researcher For The Research Project Congolines, Royal Library of Belgium, Belgium, 25 days ago
Job vacancy Scientific researcher for the research project Congolines For the sake of readability, our job descriptions are only in masculine. All positions are equally open to both women and men....
Postdoc In Root Microbe Mineral Interactions, EURAXESS, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Do you want to contribute to understanding how we can optimize soil carbon storage and minimize greenhouse gas emissions in agricultural grasslands, under current and future climates? Do you want ...