Job Reference: 841107
The Curtin Medical School is one of four schools in the Faculty of Health Sciences. The school was formed in 2021 by the merger of the previous Curtin Medical School, School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences and the School of Medical Radiation Sciences. The school trains a range of health professionals through accredited BSc courses. This position is within the CMS but may work in related areas across the faculty.
In this role you will
As a Technical Specialist working as part of the Laboratory Services Team, you will primarily provide high-level, specialised support for the conduct of teaching laboratories in the discipline of Clinical Immunology.
Your role will also include supervision of other team members assisting you as well as providing back-up for other Technical Specialists where appropriate. Amongst other duties, you will be responsible for managing relevant consumable stocks, informing decisions around specialised equipment procurement and maintenance as well as maintaining a range of documentation for laboratory procedures.
- Provide technical leadership, training support, procedural assistance and advice to students and staff.
- Research, conceptualize and evaluate innovative techniques in the development and improvement of laboratory practicals.
- Analyse complex data sets, interpret experimental results, and report on findings.
- Conduct and ensure all staff and students participate in Safety Inductions and that Health and Safety criteria are adhered to at all times.
- Plan and prepare materials and ensure laboratory facilities/field work resources are prepared in advance and well organised for teaching and/or research activities.
- Supervise and provide technical instruction and scientific guidance to staff and students in class, including guidance on the design and development of experimental processes using specialist equipment and/or scientific techniques.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures for all aspects of operations including safety, hazardous substances, equipment and workspaces.
- In collaboration with relevant academic staff develop and maintain procedural documentation.
- Maintain general and specialised laboratories and equipment, undertaking safety checks, servicing and repair.
- If applicable, test, maintain, monitor and diagnose faults in specialised equipment.
- Participate in a multi-skilling and professional development programs to ensure operational and technical knowledge is up to date with advances in the discipline.
- Curtin continues to be a leader in reconciliation in the Higher Education sector, being one of the first Universities to receive accreditation for an Elevate RAP - the highest level within Reconciliation Australia’s Workplace RAP Framework.
- The University has recently been named as one of Australia’s Inclusive Employers for 2019-2020 by the Diversity Council of Australia (DCA)
- A major global player, with well-integrated campuses in Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius and Dubai.
For further information on Curtin and all of our employee benefits visit https://about.curtin.edu.au/jobs/
We are looking for someone with
- A degree qualification in a highly relevant discipline with considerable relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Demonstrated high-level communication skills with a strong desire to provide leadership in a team environment.
- Ability to work and make decisions autonomously as well as operate as part of a team when required.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills in a laboratory environment
- A commitment to providing a safe and high-quality learning experience for our students
COVID 19 – Vaccination Policy
Candidates should note that some Curtin University positions are covered by the Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces. www.wa.gov.au/government/announcements/mandatory-covid-19-vaccination-policy-wa-workforces
If the position you are applying for is covered by this policy, you will be required to provide evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination status (or formally granted exemption) prior to commencing employment.
Please apply on-line with a cover letter and resume to enable us to assess your suitability for the role.
Applications close: 9:00pm AWST, Friday 4th February
If you have a query in relation to the application process please contact our careers team on firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on the role available, please contact Randy Strack, email@example.com
Inclusion and Diversity at Curtin
We are committed to ensuring that Curtin has an inclusive environment, free from harassment, in which all students, staff and the community feel respected, valued and welcome.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, women, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and are committed to making reasonable adjustments to enable people with disability to participate fully in our recruitment, selection and appointment processes.
We have received recognition in this area:
- Voted one of Australia’s Inclusive Employers for 2019-2020 (Diversity Council of Australia).
- Have become one of the first Universities to receive accreditation for an Elevated Reconciliation Action Plan.
- Achieved Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation (2018-2022).
- Voted 16th best workplace for new dads in Australia (HBF - Direct Advice for Dads, 2019).
Curtin reserves the right at its sole discretion to withdraw from the recruitment process, not to make an appointment, or to appoint by invitation, at any time. We reserve the right to remove the advert earlier than the date on the advert.
Senior Coordinator, Indigenous Postgraduate, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 16 hours ago
Job no:509607 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Administration & Executive support, Student Administration / Support Services, Indigenous Studies School of Indigenous Studies Full-ti...
Technical Officer (Materials & Environmental Analysis), The University of Western Australia, Australia, 13 days ago
Job no:509445 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Technical/Laboratory support College Services Technical Services Full time, ongoing appointment Salary range: Level 5 $72,531 - $80,39...
Student Services Manager Into University Partnership, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 16 hours ago
Job no:509739 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Student Administration / Support Services Support the Head of Student Services in the delivery of the operational objectives of the St...
Wellbeing Adviser (The Living Room), The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 16 hours ago
Job no:509684 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Student Administration / Support Services Student Life at UWA Full-time appointment on a fixed term basis to 31 December 2022 Base sal...
Senior Sustainability Officer, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 12 days ago
Job no:509622 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Campus / facilities management Campus Management The University of Western Australia has a strong commitment to support the United Nat...
Head Gardener, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 5 days ago
Job no:509380 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Trades & Services, Campus / facilities management UniHall Maintain and have strong involvement of ongoing design of the beautiful grou...