Research Fellow in Genomics/Computational Biology
Job No.: 605432
Location: Clayton campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Duration: 2-year Fixed-term appointment
Remuneration: $69,401 - $94,190 pa Level A (plus 9.5% employer superannuation)/$99,147 - $117,738 pa Level B (plus 17% Employer Superannuation)
- Be inspired, every day
- Drive your own learning at one of the world’s top 80 universities
- Take your career in exciting, rewarding directions
Everyone needs a platform to launch a satisfying career. At Monash, we give you the space and support to take your career in all kinds of exciting new directions. You’ll have access to quality research, infrastructure and learning facilities, opportunities to collaborate internationally, as well as the grants you’ll need to publish your work. We’re a university full of energetic and enthusiastic minds, driven to challenge what’s expected, expand what we know, and learn from other inspiring, empowering thinkers.
Monash University strongly advocates diversity & inclusion, equality, fairness and openness . We fully support the gender equity principles of the Athena SWAN Charter and invite you to join us in celebrating women in STEMM .
A postdoctoral position is available, to join the Gastrointestinal Genetics Research Group directed by Prof Mauro D’Amato at the School of Biological Sciences , Monash University. Our team combines genomic, computational and pre-clinical expertise to elucidate the pathogenetic mechanisms predisposing to gastrointestinal (GI) disease. The druggable genome, nutrigenetics and host (genome) - microbiota interactions are also new research lines within the group. We take advantage of an extremely vast network of international collaboration with academic, clinical and pharma partners world-wide; the ultimate goal of our studies is their translational application for therapeutic precision in gastroenterology.
The candidate's responsibilities:
We are seeking a bioinformatician/computational biologist for large-scale genomics-focused projects on the genetic causes of irritable bowel syndrome, microscopic colitis and other GI conditions. The successful candidate will be mainly responsible for project(s) involving large-scale data analysis (genomics, (epi)genetics, transcriptomics, metagenomics etc), the interpretation of results and their communication in scientific journals and at international meetings.
The candidate's attributes:
- PhD in computer science, bioinformatics, biostatistics, genetics, biology or related field, with experience in analysis of large datasets (previous experience of working with large-scale biobank data is considered a special merit)
- Experienced user of R/Bioconductor, Python and programming languages. Unix environment and high-performance computing clusters
- Demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatic and computational approaches to the study of human genetic diseases, and good understanding of the “biology” behind scientific questions
- Computational skills associated with genome-wide analyses (GWAS, EWAS, NGS, miRNA, transcriptomics, metagenomics etc), multivariate analyses, meta-analyses
- Additional background in mathematics, statistics, and machine learning is a plus
- Team-work attitude, impeccable organisational skills, and previous participation in international research activities/projects/publications
- Excellent spoken and written English
What we offer?
- With a diverse and supportive workforce, we also offer employment benefits such as salary packaging, staff development opportunities and on-site services such as gym, childcare, health service, etc.
- The Monash Club provides a vibrant, social, multi-purpose place to relax, meet, dine and/or work. We have a wide range of initiatives to support environmental sustainability , with a target to become carbon neutral by 2030.
This role is a full-time position; however, flexible working arrangements may be negotiated.
At Monash University, we are committed to being a Child Safe organisation. Some positions at the University will require the incumbent to hold a valid Working with Children Check.
To apply for this role, please send your application with a cover letter addressing your motivation to apply for this role along with responses to the Key Selection Criteria (listed in the position description) and your most recent resume. Please refer to "How to apply for Monash Jobs ".
Professor Mauro D’Amato, email@example.com
Research Fellow Level A
Research Fellow Level B
Tuesday 7 April 2020, 11:55 pm AEST
Supporting a diverse workforce
Research Assistant Chronic Infectious And Inflammatory Diseases (Ciid) Research, RMIT, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:590942 Work type:Full time - Fixed term/Contract Categories:Research, Health and Medicine Full-time, 1-year fixed-term contract opportunity; based at RMIT Bundoora campus but may be require...
Research Fellow Arc Linkage Project ‘Borderline Personality As Social Phenomena', RMIT, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:591812 Work type:Full time - Fixed term/Contract Categories:Research, Global, Urban & Social Studies Full-time, 3-year fixed-term contract opportunity; based at RMIT City campus but may be ...
Research Fellow, Arc Centre Of Excellence In Automated Decision Making And Society, RMIT, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:591490 Work type:Full time - Fixed term/Contract Categories:Research, Science, Education Full-time, 3 year, fixed-term contract (2 positions); based at RMIT City campus but may be required ...
Research Fellow Automated Decision Making Systems, RMIT, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:591577 Work type:Full time - Fixed term/Contract Categories:Media, Journalism & Communications, Research Full-time 3-year fixed-term contract opportunity; based at RMIT City campus but may ...
Associate Deputy Vice Chancellor, Strategy & Innovation, RMIT, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:591458 Work type:Full time - Fixed term/Contract Categories:Science, Engineering College of Science, Engineering and Health Executive 1 level contract 5 year Executive contract We are dedic...
Research Assistant Polymers Chemistry, RMIT, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:591351 Work type:Full time - Fixed term/Contract Categories:Engineering, Research Full-time, 1.5 years, fixed-term contract; based at RMIT City campus but may be required to work and/or bas...