Hammond Nisbet Research Fellow
School of Earth Sciences
- Outstanding opportunity to undertake collaborative research in structural geology and geophysical interpretation applied to mineral systems and/or mineral exploration
- Level B, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for three years
- Base salary range: $105,043 – $124,301 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The School of Earth Sciences is a group of internationally recognised educators and researchers who undertake broad-ranging research in the earth sciences, both fundamental and applied. Western Australia relies heavily on its mineral, energy, groundwater and coastal marine resources which drives strong research programs in the School focusing on scientific discovery and evidence-based management of these resources. The Centre for Exploration Targeting in the School has a well-established reputation in applied mineral geoscience and, across the School, there are well-established strengths in geodata analytics and basin analysis.
The School’s curriculum is similarly diverse and based on research-led and experiential learning for students including field-based work and emphasis on problem-solving skills. Staff and students also have access to cutting-edge analytical instruments and industry-grade software, with a well-established network of alumni and industry professionals.
About the opportunity
You will undertake independent research in the area of structural geology and geophysical interpretation applied to mineral systems and/or mineral exploration. You will be expected to collaborate with a wide range of researchers in the School of Earth Sciences, and cognate disciplines at UWA, with an expectation of industry engagement to enhance collaborative relationships with external stakeholders and the reputation of Earth Sciences at UWA. You will have the opportunity to contribute to research training, teaching and service/engagement activiites in the School.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in geoscience or closely related field
- Expertise in structural geology including skills in geological fieldwork and mapping, experience in geophysical interpretation and applications to mineral systems and/or mineral exploration
- Ability to facilitate field-based activities.
- A track record of fundamental and applied geoscience research with high quality, peer-reviewed research outputs
- A record of collaborative research with academic and industry partners
- An emerging record of successful research project development and attracting research funds
- Successful supervision of honours and coursework masters students, and co-supervision of PhD students, relative to opportunity
- Ability and commitment to high quality research-led teaching in topics of research expertise
- Communication, teamwork and leadership skills, and commitment to inclusion and diversity principles
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Hammond Nisbet Research Fellow - #514505.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria .
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Sunday, 16 July 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Associate Professor Nicolas Thebaud at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details : Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Advertised:16 May 2023 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close:16 Jul 2023 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time
Research Fellow,Indian Ocean Marine Research Centre, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 28 days ago
2 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Environmental science Geosciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Australia Ap...
Research Associate/Fellow In Igneous Petrology And Geochemistry, Curtin University, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Job Reference: 10686 Your new role A unique and exciting 4-year appointment exists for a Research Associate/Fellow to join the Earth Dynamics Research Group at Curtin University for the igneous pe...
Research Associate / Research Fellow (Bita), School Of Agriculture And Environment, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 6 days ago
23 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Agricultural sciences Economics Psychological sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2)...
Academy Fellowship Scheme (Afs) Programme Officer, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 22 days ago
8 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Educational sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Countr...
Senior Research Fellow Dementia Prevention, Curtin University, Australia, 3 days ago
Job reference: 1069153 About us Enable Institute The Enable Institute is a new collaborative venture focussed on conducting research which uses a whole of life (from maternity to palliative care),...
Post Doctoral Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow (Tourism), Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 4 hours ago
$105,832 to $125,043 p.a (Level B), $128,880 to $148,089 p.a. (Level C) Fixed term (2 years), Full-time, Joondalup campus Open to candidates with relevant work rights POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW...