Higher Degree Research 1 031
Higher Degree Coursework 3 992
Postgraduate Other 1886
Undergraduate 13 651
Flinders University was established in 1966 and takes its name from British navigator Matthew Flinders, who explored and surveyed the South Australian coastline in 1802.
The university has established a reputation as a leading research institution with a devotion to innovation. It is a member of the Innovative Research Universities (IRU) Group and ranks in the 10-16 bracket in Australia and 36th in the world of those established less than 50 years. Academically, the university pioneered a cross-disciplinary approach to education, and its faculties of medicine and the humanities are ranked among the nation's top 10. It is also ranked within the world's top 400 institutions in both Times Higher Education and the Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
Flinders is the only university in South Australia to provide student accommodation on the main campus.
University Hall is a catered collegiate residence with a strong collegial atmosphere.
The Deirdre Jordan Student Village provides modern accommodation in self-catered 2, 3 and 5 bedroom, fully equipped units.
In addition to the accommodation facilities, there is a Community Centre with a variety of sporting, recreational and barbeque areas throughout the Flinders Living Precinct.
The Village also offers a range of culturally inclusive activities for those who wish to develop a strong community atmosphere.
Visit website for more info.
The Health Service is a fully equipped Medical Centre and is open from 8:45am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday. It is available to all students and staff in the university.
All consultations are confidential and services are bulk-billed.
Male and female medical practitioners staff the general practice Health Service. It provides emergency and routine medical care, as well as other services such as:
- first aid
- health screens (pap smears, skin checks, cholesterol, STDs etc)
- staff medicals
- minor surgery
- health education
- vaccinations (both for health care work and travel)
Sports and fitness facilities:
Flinders ONE fitness and ONE sport, located on the Flinders University Campus and managed by FlindersOne Fitness , provides excellent sporting facilities, including:
- Sports and Fitness Centre
- RPM room
- playing fields
- tennis courts.
Shops anf Food:
- National Australia Bank branch
- Bank SA have a branch on level 4 of Flinders Medical Centre (open from noon).
- Multitrip bus tickets are available from the Post Office and Retail One.
- Unihair & body is located at Flinders Uni Mall.
- The Pharmacy is located in the Mall (phone (08) 8201 2343).
- The Post Office in the Mall near the Registry (phone (08) 8201 2211) offers a range of services
- The STA Travel Service in the Mall (phone (08) 8201 2179) can make all travel arrangements and has a range of books and brochures.
- Unibooks is located on the Plaza near the Central Library (phone (08) 8125 5185, fax (08) 8374 2289, email [email protected])
- The Wholefood Store in the Mall (phone (08) 8201 2886), sells a range of grains, dried fruits, nuts, bread, hot food, dairy and fresh produce, and an assortment of groceries. It is open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm during semester and for reduced hours at other times.
Adelaide campus : Bedford Park, Adelaide, South Australia
Regional and interstate locations : Barossa, Port Lincoln, Mt Gambier, Renmark, Victor Harbor, Hamilton and Warrnambool (Victoria), Alice Springs, Casuarina, Darwin, Katherine and Nhulunbuy (Northern Territory).