The Department of Laboratory Medicine serves as a regional resource for clinical laboratory services required for patient care, research and educational programs in laboratory medicine. The department now employs 900 people who work at the award-winning University of Washington Medical Center (ranked among the top medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report), Harborview Medical Center (the region's only Level I Trauma center, known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally-and medically-vulnerable populations.), and many other clinical and research facilities in the area. The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement and natural beauty.
Our Laboratory Medicine department has an outstanding opportunity for a part-time, temporary/hourly, STUDENT ASSISTANT. The person in this role will assist with dish washing, autoclaving, recycling/biohazard trash removal, maintaining general lab inventory, instrument cleaning, and related general laboratory projects. If qualified through additional Office of Animal Welfare training, the employee may also assist with mouse colony inventory and maintenance and with experiments under the guidance of the laboratory staff.
Primary Job Functions:
- Creates effective and positive relationships within the department and with other parties.
- Positively promotes and cooperate with department plans, programs and objectives.
- Effectively communicates with peers, staff and supervisors in a professional matter through email, telephone, and in person meetings.
- Gives and receives constructive criticism.
- Fosters goodwill with campus units.
- Effectively responds to demands and stresses of assigned responsibilities.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Successful completion of required orientation, training, review of policies and procedures.
- Supervisor's observation of demonstrated skills and performance appraisal assessing job related knowledge.
- Participate in and support quality assessment and improvement activities.
- Receptive to new ideas and procedures.
- Adapt to new routines and schedules as necessary.
- Perform laboratory maintenance including trash/biohazard waste removal, dish washing, maintaining general lab inventory, instrument cleaning, and other duties as above.
- Put away newly received items.
- Assist with reagent/supply ordering.
- Mouse health checks.
- Mouse eartagging.
- Maintain office supplies.
- Perform other duties as required.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required.
Must be UW student 18 years of age and older.
To hold an appointment in a student job title, a student must be enrolled at the University of Washington and meet the following minimum enrollment requirements (not including correspondence credits):
Undergraduate students - 6 credits
Graduate and professional students - 4 credits
Ph.D. candidates working on dissertations - 2 credits
Granted "on leave" status as follows:
Undergraduate students - for one quarter immediately following a quarter in which the student was enrolled for at least 6 academic credits, including summer quarter.
Graduate and Professional Students - when the student has applied for and been granted such status by the Dean of the Graduate School.
Part-time position, not to exceed 19 work hours per week.
Experience making solutions, pipetting, etc.
Student Affairs Specialist Seattle, Washington, Northeastern University, United States, 3 months ago
Student Affairs Specialist - Seattle, Washington About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning....
Student Affairs Specialist Seattle, Washington, Northeastern University, United States, about 1 month ago
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to: • Coordinate and execute student service models for the learners of the Seattle Campus, regardless of the mode of instruction or physical loca...