Post-Doctoral Fellow - 15561
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics – Section of Developmental Biology
Position #  – Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient’s bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here .
This full-time (1.0FTE) position for a junior level PhD post-doctoral researcher, will provide a mechanism for the hired individual to develop into a successful independent researcher in the fields of biochemistry/developmental biology. The research focus of the laboratory is to discover knowledge related to formation of the central nervous system, with a particular emphasis on transcriptional regulation. The proposed training will be conducted at University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.
Area of Research:
We aim to improve our knowledge of the genetic and epigenetic control of central nervous system development, using zebrafish and cell culture as model systems. This research project will provide intensive training, with the ultimate goal of successful transition into a position as an independent investigator in academia or industry.
Examples of Work Performed:
Approximately 80% of the position:
[Perform primary research]:
- Participate in the initiation of the research projects
- Carry out projects independently
- Develop research protocols
- Perform experiments as related to research project
- Trouble-shoot and problem-solve as related to the research project
- Record results of experiments: tabulate research data and maintain a detailed, easily understandable laboratory notebook
- Interpret experimental results
- Collaborate with PI and others in the lab
- Conduct literature searches
- Train laboratory personnel in experimentation techniques
- Prepare tissues, cell cultures, etc. for testing
- Measure and monitor gene expression (in zebrafish)
- Animal care related to research procedures
- Perform recombinant DNA work
- Conduct biochemical and genetic experiments analyzing gene expression
- Modify, test, verify and analyze research data
- Prepare samples for analysis by various instrumentation
- Develop and maintain research databases
- Apply bioinformatics tools to analyze genomic (ChIP-seq, RNA-seq) data
- Other related duties as assigned by PI
Approximately 15% of position:
[Communicate research results]
- Present results at lab meetings
- Present results at project meetings such as research in progress
- Present results at (inter)national meetings
- Write and publish manuscripts describing results
- Prepare grant applications, as necessary
Approximately 5% of position:
[General Administrative and Research Compliance]
- Perform all research compliance activities required by the University of Colorado Denver-AMC
- Perform general administrative duties requested in the laboratory
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The minimum hiring salary for this position is $50,004 and is based on prior experience in a postdoctoral fellow role and on NIH salary standards.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services .
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits .
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation for questions, contact Kaitlin.Norris@childrenscolorado.org
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- PhD degree in life sciences (such as microbiology, chemistry, biology, biochemistry), or bioinformatics/computer science, or related field
- Prior experience with bioinformatics/statistical analyses of large datasets
- Prior experience with standard life science methods (e.g. PCR, subcloning, cell culture, microscopy, etc.)
*note, educational experience will not substitute for prior professional experience
Conditions of Employment
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including occasional weekends, evenings, and extended work hours as needed in the laboratory
- Prior experience with advanced molecular biology methods (ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, ATAC-seq etc.)
- Prior experience with zebrafish or other vertebrate model organism
- Prior experience preparing grant applications
- Prior experience presenting research results to both large and small audiences
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to complete basic science techniques such as pipetting, lab notebook upkeep, weighing and measuring, and preparing buffers and solvents
- Ability to effectively operate common lab equipment
- Ability to effectively collect data and complete analyses
- Ability to work independently within a research lab
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong technical research skills and reasoning ability
Special Instructions to Applicants: Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. 4. Proof of degree (transcripts or diploma) Questions should be directed to Robert Murchison at firstname.lastname@example.org Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact. Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below Application Materials Instructions: APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by April 25, 2019. Those who do not apply by April 25, 2019 may or may not be considered.
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21300 - SOM-PEDS Devl Biology-GenOp
: Mar 11, 2019
: Apr 26, 2019, 1:59:00 AM
Posting Contact Name: Robert Murchison
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00758195