Librarian, Student Success
The Student Success Librarian provides leadership, direction, and assessment of the Library’s student success initiatives under the direction and supervision of the Assistant Director, Research and Instructional Services. Collaborates with librarians, faculty and other campus partners to develop, support, and assess library services and programs to foster student success, recruitment and retention. Serves as liaison to a number of academic departments, participates actively in the provision and assessment of research services, ensures a consistently high level of service quality to both local and remote users, and builds strong working relationships with internal and external university partners. As a team member of Research and Instructional Services, the Student Success Librarian provides research and instructional services, participates in collection development, library planning and policy implementation, acts as faculty liaison, as well as serves on library and university committees.
- Develops, provides and assesses library services to support teaching, research, student success and retention. Responsibilities include providing library orientation; promoting first-year and transfer student success and retention through collaboration with campus academic and student services programs and offices. Collaborates with other library colleagues to plan and implement new services to meet the changing needs and expectations of library users
- Provides in-depth information and research assistance on a daily basis by email, instant messaging, and other communication technologies. Answers research and directional questions. Provides one-on-one instruction in use of print and electronic resources, including the library discovery system, databases, reference and Internet resources. Maintains knowledge of library's collection and resources.
- Participates in all aspects of library instructional services, including online or face-to-face teaching and the creation of course-specific resources, guides, online tutorials, and web pages for use in both traditional and virtual environments. Collaborates with faculty in order to integrate information literacy into the curriculum and to prepare library-research-related sessions and resources to meet student learning needs. Participates in the development and assessment of library instructional activities and programs. Maintains awareness of emerging trends in information literacy, library instruction, and instructional technology.
- Composes and revises collection development statements in assigned subject areas. Selects electronic and print resources in assigned subject areas that support the university's teaching and research mission. Participates in and makes recommendations in collection evaluation projects. Takes responsibility for existing collections in assigned subject areas by replacing materials and, when necessary, weeding materials that no longer meet collection standards.
- Communicates with faculty (in assigned subject areas) to increase their awareness of library resources and services, and to better inform library collection development. Responsible for developing and maintaining online research guides for assigned subject areas.
- Serves on library committees, task forces, and UHCL shared governance committees and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Master of Library Science from an ALA- accredited institution.
2. Demonstrated progressive experience in an academic library.
3. Knowledge of trends, methods, and best practices in student engagement and success.
4. Working knowledge of print and electronic information resources and of effective search strategies.
5. Excellent teaching/instructional skills in classroom and online settings and on an individual basis with the ability to communicate clearly, orally and in writing, and to interpret and explain bibliographic data.
6. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively in a collegial environment and with the public, handling patrons' suggestions and complaints.
7. Excellent skills in use of presentation software and bibliographic citation software with the ability to utilize social media and new technologies in a library setting.
8. Commitment to diversity and inclusion; demonstrated experience working with users of all ages and from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
Additional advanced degree in a subject discipline.
Experience in teaching information literacy course.
Familiarity with assessment practices and methodologies in libraries.
Required Attachments by Candidate: Resume
Notes to Applicant:
Full-time position with benefits. Background check required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified. Applications must be received before close of business on 10/22/2021 for full consideration.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
: C0056 Library
: Aug 23, 2021, 2:40:44 PM
Student Helper , Baylor College of Medicine, United States, 13 days ago
Title: Student Helper Division: Obstetrics and Gynecology Schedule: Schedule to be determined Work Location: Houston, TX Salary Range: Hiring up to $8,112 FLSA Status: Nonexempt Requisition ID: 90...
Computational Earth Science Post Masters Student, Los Alamos National Security, United States, 22 days ago
What You Will Do The Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES) Division at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is looking for an individual with a Master’s degree in Earth Science, Physical Science...
Process Modeling And Analysis Post Master's Student, Los Alamos National Security, United States, about 11 hours ago
What You Will Do This posting is under the Associate Laboratory Directorate for Weapons Engineering (ALDW). The Process Modeling and Analysis Group (E-2) at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) i...
Post Masters Student, Los Alamos National Security, United States, 13 days ago
What You Will Do The Bioscience Division is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic post-master’s student interested in performing algal biology research. The successful candidate will work with a team ...
Student Helper , Baylor College of Medicine, United States, about 24 hours ago
Title: Student Helper Division: Molecular and Human Genetics Schedule: M-F, sometimes weekends Work Location: Houston, TX Salary Range: Hiring upto $13.50/hr FLSA Status: Nonexempt Requisition ID:...
Mass Spectrometry Post Master's Student, Los Alamos National Security, United States, about 23 hours ago
What You Will Do The Bioscience Division is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic post-master’s candidate interested in performing research within the facets of mass spectrometry – especially proteomi...